This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Influence of Biodiesel and Diesel Fuel Blends on the Injection Rate and Spray Injection in Non-Vaporizing Conditions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Fossil fuel reserves are being depleted due to increasing energy requirements. One of the solutions is to partly replace fossil fuel by renewable biodiesel fuel. However, the physical properties of biodiesel fuels need to be thoroughly investigated before applying biodiesel or diesel-biodiesel blends in diesel engines, in order to improve the combustion efficiency.
This paper presents the experimental study of diesel fuel and biodiesel blends on injection flow characteristics and fuel spray behavior. Seven fuels were tested: diesel fuel, five diesel-biodiesel blends: 10%(B10), 20%(B20), 30%(B30), 40%(B40), 50%(B50), and pure biodiesel(B100) in a diesel engine equipped with a piezo injector. Injection pressures were set at 30-180 MPa for the study of the injection flow characteristics and at 30-150 MPa for the study of spray behavior in non-vaporizing conditions. The experimental results show that the injection flow characteristics and fuel spray behavior are the same with biodiesel blends as with diesel fuel. With pure biodiesel (B100), which has a density that is 5.2% higher and a viscosity 50% higher than diesel fuel, the discharge coefficient decreases by 3.63% but at injection pressure values of over 55 MPa, the effect on the discharge coefficient is insignificant. At the beginning of the injection period (up to 2000μs), the spray penetration and spray angle of B100 are different but after 2000 μs the spray behavior is similar to that of the other fuels. Correlations based on the work of Payri et al., Soteriou et al. and Naber & Siebers were used for comparison with the experimental data.
CitationTinprabath, P., Hespel, C., Chanchaona, S., and Foucher, F., "Influence of Biodiesel and Diesel Fuel Blends on the Injection Rate and Spray Injection in Non-Vaporizing Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 2013-24-0032, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-24-0032.
- Demirbas A. Progress and recent trends in biodiesel fuels Energy Conversion and Management 2009 50 14 34
- No S.Y. How vegetable oils and their derivatives affect spray characteristics in CI engines - A review Atomization and Sprays 2011 21 1 87 105
- Perdiguero J. and Jiménez J.L. Sell or not sell biodiesel: Local competition and government measures Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 2011 15 1525 1532
- Dernotte J. , Hespel C. , Foucher F. and Mounaïm-Rousselle C. Influence of physical fuel properties on the injection rate in a diesel injector Fuel 2012 96 153 160
- Dernotte J. , Hespel C. , Foucher F. and Mounaïm-Rousselle C. Influence of fuel properties on the diesel injection process in non-vaporizing conditions Atomization and Sprays 2012 22 6 461 492
- Bang S.H. and Lee C.S. Fuel injection characteristics and spray behavior of DME blended with methyl ester derived from soybean oil Fuel 2010 89 797 800
- Seykens X.L.J. , Somers L.M.T. and Baert R.S.G. Modeling of common rail fuel injection system and influence of fluid properties on injection process Proceedings of VAFSEP Dublin, Ireland July 6 9 2004
- Som S. , Longman D.E. , Ramirez A.I. and Aggarwal S.K. A comparison of injector flow and spray characteristics of biodiesel with petrodiesel Fuel 2010 89 4014 4024
- Desantes J.M. , Payri R. , Garcia A. and Manin J. Experimental study of biodiesel blends' effects on diesel injection processes Energy & Fuels 2009 23 3227 3235
- Payri R. , Salvador F.J. , Gimeno J. and Morena J. Study of cavitation phenomena based on a technique for visualizing bubbles in a liquid pressurized chamber Fuel 2009 30 768 777
- Park S.H. , Suh H.K. and Lee C.S. Effect of cavitating flow on the flow and fuel atomization characteristics of biodiesel and diesel fuels Energy & Fuels 2008 22 605 613
- Gao Y. , Deng J. , Li C. , Deng F. , Liao Z. , Wu Z. and Li L. Experimental study of the spray characteristics of biodiesel based on inedible oil Biotechnology Advances 2009 27 616 624
- Chen P.C. , Wang W.C. , Roberts W.L. and Fang T. Spray and atomization of diesel fuel and its alternatives from a single-hole injector using a common rail fuel injection system Fuel 2012 103 850 861
- Soteriou C. , Lambert M. , Zuelch S. and Passerel D. The flow characteristics of high efficiency diesel nozzles with enhanced geometry holes THIESEL Conference on Thermo and Fluid dynamics in Diesel Engines Valencia, Spain September 13 15 2006
- Naber , J. and Siebers , D. Effects of Gas Density and Vaporization on Penetration and Dispersion of Diesel Sprays SAE Technical Paper 960034 1996 10.4271/960034
- Bosch , W. The Fuel Rate Indicator: A New Measuring Instrument For Display of the Characteristics of Individual Injection SAE Technical Paper 660749 1966 10.4271/660749
- Payri P. , Garcia J.M. , Salvador F.J. and Gimeno J. Using spray momentum flux measurements to understand the influence of diesel nozzle geometry on spray characteristics Fuel 2005 84 551 561
- Otsu N. A threshold selection method from gray-level histograms IEEE Trans. Syst. Man Cyber 1979 1 62 66
- Freitas S.V.D. , Paredes M.L.L. , Daridon J.L. , Lima A.S. and Coutinho J.A.P. Measurement and prediction of the speed of sound of biodiesel fuels Fuel 2012 103 1018 1022
- Kegl B. Numerical analysis of injection characteristics using biodiesel fuel Fuel 2006 85 2377 2387
- Tat M.E. and Van Gerpen J.H. Effect of temperature and pressure on the speed of sound and isentropic bulk modulus of biodiesel and diesel fuel Jam Oil Chem. Soc 2003 80 1127 1130
- Payri R. , Salvador F.J. , Gimeno J. and Venegas O. Study of cavitation phenomenon using different fuels in a transparent nozzle by hydraulic characterization and visualization Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science 2013 44 235 244
- Payri F. , Bermudez V. , Payri R. and Salvador F.J. The influence of cavitation on the internal flow and the spray characteristics in diesel injection nozzles Fuel 2004 83 419 431