This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
PMHS Impact Response in 3 m/s and 8 m/s Nearside Impacts with Abdomen Offset
Published November 11, 2013 by The Stapp Association in United States
Annotation ability available
Lateral impact tests were performed using seven male post-mortem human subjects (PMHS) to characterize the force-deflection response of contacted body regions, including the lower abdomen. All tests were performed using a dual-sled, side-impact test facility. A segmented impactor was mounted on a sled that was pneumatically accelerated into a second, initially stationary sled on which a subject was seated facing perpendicular to the direction of impact. Positions of impactor segments were adjusted for each subject so that forces applied to different anatomic regions, including thorax, abdomen, greater trochanter, iliac wing, and thigh, could be independently measured on each PMHS. The impactor contact surfaces were located in the same vertical plane, except that the abdomen plate was offset 5.1 cm towards the subject. The masses of the sleds and the force-deflection characteristics of the energy-absorbing interface material between the sleds were set to provide the impactor sled with a velocity profile that matched the average driver door velocity history produced in a series of side NCAP tests. Impactor padding was also selected so that average ATD pelvis and thorax responses from the same series of side NCAP tests were reproduced when the ATD used in these tests was impacted using the average door-velocity history. Each subject was first impacted on one side of the body using an initial impactor speed of 3 m/s. If a post-test CT scan and strain-gage data revealed two or fewer non-displaced rib fractures, then the PMHS was impacted on the contralateral side of the body at a speed of 8 m/s or 10 m/s.
The results of tests in the 3 m/s and 8 m/s conditions were used to develop force-deflection response corridors for the abdomen, force history response corridors for the pelvis (iliac wing and greater trochanter), the midthigh, and the thorax. Response corridors for the lateral acceleration of the pelvis were also developed. Future work will compare side impact ATD responses to these response corridors.
- Carl S. Miller - University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute
- Nathaniel H. Madura - University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute
- Lawrence W. Schneider - University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute
- Kathleen D. Klinich - University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute
- Matthew P. Reed - University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute
- Jonathan D. Rupp - University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute
CitationMiller, C., Madura, N., Schneider, L., Klinich, K. et al., "PMHS Impact Response in 3 m/s and 8 m/s Nearside Impacts with Abdomen Offset," SAE Technical Paper 2013-22-0015, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-22-0015.
- Aekbote, K. Sundararajan, S., Chou, C., Lim, G. and Prater, J. (1999). A new component test methodology concept for side impact simulation, Society of Automotive Engineers, paper 1999-01-0427, Warrendale, PA.
- ASTM D3575-08. Standard test methods for flexible cellular materials made from olefin polymers. ASTM International.
- Bendjellal, F., Walfish, G., & Fayon, A., and Tarriere, C. (1984). APR biomechanical data. Nanterre, FR: Association Peugeot-Renault.
- Bouquet, R., Ramet M., Bermond F., Caire Y., Talantikite Y., Robin S., and Voiglio E. (1998). Pelvis human response to lateral impact. In: Proceedings of the 16th International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles. Windsor, Ontario, Canada: U.S. Department of Transportation, Washington, DC, pp. 1665-1686.
- Cavanaugh, J. M., Walilko, T. J., Malhotra, A., Zhu, Y., & King, A. I. (1990a). Biomechanical Response and Injury Tolerance of the Thorax in Twelve Sled Side Impacts. SAE 902307 in Proceedings of the Thirty-fourth Stapp Car Crash Conf. Warrendale, PA, US: Society of Automotive Engineers.
- Cavanaugh, J. M., Walilko, T. J., Malhotra, A., Zhu, Y., and King A. I., (1990b). “Biomechanical Response and Injury Tolerance of the Pelvis in Twelve Sled Side Impacts,” SAE 902305, Proceedings of the Thirty-fourth Stapp Car Crash Conf., P-236, Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA.
- Cesari, D. Compigne, S., Scherer, R., Xu, L., Takahashi, N. et al. (2001). WorldSID Prototype Dummy Biomechanical Responses. Stapp Car Crash J 45:1-34.
- Chung, J., Cavanaugh, J., Mason, M and King, AI., (1997). Development of a sled-to-sled subsystem side impact test methodology, Society of Automotive Engineers, paper 970569, Warrendale, PA.
- Eppinger, R. H., Augustyn, K., & Robbins, D. H. (1978). Development of a Promising Universal Thorax Trauma Prediction Methodology. SAE 780891 in Proceedings of the 22nd Stapp Car Crash Conference. Warrendale, PA, US: Society of Automotive Engineers. Pages 209-268.
- Hallman J.J., Yoganandan, N, and Pintar, F.A. (2010). Biomechanical and Injury Response to Posterolateral Loading from Torso Side Airbags. Stapp Car Crash J 54:227-257.
- Hopton, J. and Payne, A. (1996). Comparison study of EuroSID, USSID, BioSID performance using MIRA's new M-SIS side impact simulation technique, Society of Automotive Engineers, paper 960103, Warrendale, PA.
- Irwin, A.L., Waliko, T.J., Cavanaugh, J.M., Zhu, Y., and King, A.I. (1993). Displacement Responses of the Shoulder and Thorax in Lateral Sled Impacts. Proceedings of the 37th Stapp Car Crash Conference, pp 165-173. Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA.
- Irwin, A.L., Sutterfield, A., Hsu, T.P., Kim, A., Mertz, H.J., Rouhana, S.W., Scherer R. (2005). Side Impact Response Corridors for the Rigid Flat-Wall and Offset-Wall Side Impact Tests of NHTSA Using the ISO Method of Corridor Development. Stapp Car Crash J 49:423-456.
- ISOTR9790. (1999) Road vehicles-lateral impact response requirements to assess the biofidelity of the dummy. Technical Report No. 9790, International Standards Organization, American National Standards Institute, New York, NY.
- Kallieris D., Mattern R., Schmidt G., and Eppinger R.H. (1981). Quantification of side impact responses and injuries. Proc. 25th Stapp Car Crash Conference, pp.329-366. Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA.
- Kallieris, D., Boggasch, F., Mattern, R. (1994). Protection for the Thorax Injury Severity in the 90-degree Lateral Collision. Paper 94-S1-0-02. Proceedings of the 14th International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Washington DC.
- Kemper, A.R., McNally C, Kennedy E.A., Manoogian S.J., and Duma S.M. (2008). The Influence of Arm Position on Thoracic Response in Side Impacts. Stapp Car Crash J 52:379-340.
- Kent, R.W. and Crandall J. (2000) Structural stiffness, elastic recovery, and occupant inertial effects on measured door response in a laterally struck vehicle. International Journal of Crashworthiness, 5(3):235-248.
- Kent, R.W., Crandall, J., Butcher, J., and Morris, R. (2001) Sled system requirements for the analysis of side impact thoracic injury criteria and occupant protection. Paper No. 2001-01-0721, Proceedings of the Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale PA,
- Klinch, K.D., Flannagan, C.A.C, Nicholson, K., Schneider, L.W. and Rupp, J.D. (2008). Abdominal injury in motor-vehicle crashes. Report UMTRI-2008 40. University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute, Ann Arbor, MI.
- Kuppa, S., Eppinger, R.H., McKoy, F., Nguyen, T., Pintar, F.A., and Yoganandan, N. (2003). Development of Side Impact Thorax Injury Criteria and Their Application to the Modified ES-2 Dummy with Rib Extensions (ES-2re). Stapp Car Crash J 47:189-210.
- Lessley, D., Shaw, G., Parent, D., Arregui-Dalmases, C. Kindig, M, et al. (2010). Whole-Body Response to Pure Lateral Impact. Stapp Car Crash J 54:289-336
- Maltese, M., Eppinger, R., Rhule, H., Donnelly, B., Pintar, F., & Yoganandan, N. (2002). Response corridors of human surrogates in lateral impacts Stapp Car Crash J, 46, 321-351.
- Mertz, H. J., (1984). A procedure for normalizing impact response data. SAE 840884. Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA.
- Miller and Gu H. (1997). Sled testing procedure for side impact airbag development, Society of Automotive Engineers, Paper 970570, Warrendale, PA.
- Petitjean A., Trosseille, X., Petit, P, Irwin, A, Hassan, J, and Praxl, N. (2009). Injury Risk Curves for the WorldSID 50th Male Dummy. Stapp Car Crash J 53:433-476.
- Pintar, F. A., Yoganandan, N., Hines, M. H., Maltese, M. R., McFadden, J., Saul, R., Eppinger, R., et al. (1997). Chestband Analysis of Human Tolerance to Side Impact. Warrendale, PA: SAE International.
- Rouhana, S.W. (2002). Biomechanics of Abdomen Trauma in Accidental Injury Biomehcanics and Prevention. Eds. Melvin, J.W. and Nahum, A.M. Springer-Verlag, New York, New York.
- Schneider, L.W., Robbins, D.H., Pflüg, M.A., and Snyder, R.G. (1983). Development of anthropometrically based design specifications for an advanced adult anthropomorphic dummy family, Volume 1. Report No. DOT-HS-806-715. U.S. Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Washington, DC.
- Shaw, J.M., Herriott, R.G., McFadden, J.D., Donnelly, B.R., and Bolte, J.H (2006). Oblique and Lateral Impact Response of the PMHS Thorax. Stapp Car Crash J 50:147-167.
- Shaw, G., Bolton, J., Lessley, D., Parent, D., Riley, P., Crandall, J. (2010). Improved Method to Record the Response of Seated Live Human Surrogates in a Simulated Side Impact. Proceedings of the 2010 JSAE Annual Congress, Paper 455-20105080.
- Stein, D. (1997). Apparatus and method for side impact testing. Society of Automotive Engineers, Paper 970572. Warrendale, PA.
- Sundararajan, S. Chou, C., Lim, G. and Clements, R. (1995). Dynamic door component test methodology, Paper 950877, Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA.
- Viano, D. C. (1989). Biomechanical Responses and Injuries in Blunt Lateral Impact. SAE 892432 in Proceedings of the 33rd Stapp Car Crash Conference. Warrendale, PA, US: Society of Automotive Engineers.
- Walfisch, G; Fayon, A; Tarriere, C; Rosey, JP; Guillon, F; Got, C; Patel, A; Stalnaker, R.L (1980) Designing of a dummy's abdomen for detecting injuries in side impact collisions. Proceedings of the 1980 International IRCOBI Conference on the Biomechanics of Impacts, pp. 149-164. IRCOBI, Bron, France.
- Yang, S., Hagiwara, S., Engelke, K., Dhillon, M.S., Guglielmi, G., Bendavid, B.A., Soejima, O., Nelson, D.L., and Genant, H.K. (1994). Radiographic absorptiometry for bone mineral measurement of the phalanges: Precision and accuracy study. Radiology, 192: 857-859.
- Yoganandan, N., Pintar, F.A., Stemper, B.D., Gennarelli, T., and Weigelt, J.A. (2007) Biomechanics of side impact: injury criteria, aging occupants, and airbag technology. J Biomech 40(2):227-243.
Yoganandan N., Pintar F.A., Humm, J.R., Hallman, J.J., and Maiman, D.J. (2011). Analytical And Experimental Data Of Chest Deflections And Injuries In Side Impacts. Proceedings of the 22nd International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles. Paper 11-0256. Available from