This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Electric Machine Thermal Simulation using 1D Network
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 27, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: 8th SAEINDIA International Mobility Conference & Exposition and Commercial Vehicle Engineering Congress 2013 (SIMCOMVEC)
The prediction of the temperature profile inside an operating electric motor is one of the most important challenges while designing a motor and its associated cooling & lubrication system. This paper describes an integrated thermal simulation methodology for a surface mounted permanent magnet (SMPM) synchronous motor by coupling 1D thermal network analysis with 3D thermal simulation. 1D lumped parameter model is developed with a network of interconnected nodes and thermal resistances representing the heat processes within the SPMSM. The resistances are calculated using theoretical formulae and this thermal network is presented as a system of linear equations solved using matrix operations. Further this network is integrated with 3D FEM model in which lumped parameters are replaced by physical parameters to observe temperature variation within different motor components and simulated in 3D through commercially available tool. Both 1D and 3D simulated results show good agreement with each other as well as available experimental results.
CitationAgrawal, B., Shoemaker, J., HK, S., and Kulkarni, P., "Electric Machine Thermal Simulation using 1D Network," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2829, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-2829.
- Ding Xiaofeng , Bhattacharya Madhur and Mi Chris Simplified thermal model of PM motors in hybrid vehicle applications taking into account eddy current loss in magnets Journal of Asian Electric Vehicles 8 1 June 2010 1337 1343
- Boglietti Aldo , Cavagnino Andrea and Staton David Determination of critical parameters in electrical thermal models IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications 44 4 July 2008 1150 1159
- Lim C.H. , Airoldi G. , Bumby J.R. Experimental and CFD investigation of a lumped parameter thermal model of a single-sided slotted axial flux generator International Journal of Thermal Sciences 49 2010 1732 1741
- Dikmen Emre , van der Hoogt Peter , de Boer Andre , Aarts Ronald and Jonker Ben Thermal modeling of a mini rotor-stator system Proceedings of the 2009 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition 1 6
- Mellor P.H. , Roberts D. and Turner D.R. Lumped parameter thermal model for electrical motors of TEFC design IEE Proceedings-B 138 5 Sep 1991 205 218
- Howey David A. , Childs Peter R. N. and Holmes Andrew S. Air-gap convection in rotating electrical machines IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 59 3 March 2012 1367 1375
- Sukumaran K. , Reji R.V. and Santosh K.S. Fluid flow simulations within rotating annulus Proceedings of the 2010 International Conference on Fluid Mechanics and Fluid Power, Paper ID AM-04 1 8
- Boglietti Aldo , Cavagnino Andrea and Staton David Evolution and modern approaches for thermal analysis of electrical machines IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 56 3 March 2009 871 882
- Staton David A. and Cavagnino Andrea Convection heat transfer and flow calculations suitable for electric motors thermal models IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 55 10 Oct 2008 3509 3516
- Staton Dave , Boglietti Aldo , and Cavagnino Andrea Solving the more difficult aspects of electric motor thermal analysis in small and medium size industrial induction motors IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion 20 3 Sept 2005 620 628
- Yu Q. , Laudensack C. and Gerling D. Improved lumped parameter thermal model and sensitivity analysis for SR drives XIX International conference on Electrical Machines 2010 1 6