This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Trailer Aerodynamic Technologies Wind Tunnel Testing Compared to Track Test Results
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 27, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: 8th SAEINDIA International Mobility Conference & Exposition and Commercial Vehicle Engineering Congress 2013 (SIMCOMVEC)
The performance of several aerodynamic technologies, such as trailer skirts, vortex generators, and aerodynamic van trailer obtained from model wind tunnel testing were compared with track test results.
Wind tunnel tests were conducted on 1/8, 1/15 or 1/24 scale models of a tractor in combination with 53-foot semi-trailer. The tests consisted of two phases: setting the initial baseline, and component testing of various configurations. The SAE Fuel Consumption Test Procedures Type II and Type III were used for track test evaluations.
The differences between the track and wind tunnel test results are in some cases explained directly by the some differences between the real scale device and the model. In other situations, the variability and realism of tract testing explain the differences. The wind tunnel results were closer to the track test results for 1/8 scale models than for smaller scale models.
For the trailer skirts, the wind tunnel tests confirmed the influences observed during the track tests, such as longer, wider, and closer to the ground trailer skirts are expected to offer better results.
Wind tunnel tests are conducted in very controlled conditions, and the direct result of the wind tunnel test is the reduction in drag coefficient. However, track tests recreate real conditions, and give fuel savings as a direct result, which is closer to the real life performance of the product. Therefore, track tests are critical to establish the potential return of investment for fleet operators interested in pursuing the implementation of any aerodynamic technologies.
|Technical Paper||The Aerodynamic Development of the Opel Calibra|
|Technical Paper||Experimental and Numerical Study of Leading Edge Separation on Blunt Bodies|
|Technical Paper||CFD Analysis of Various Automotive Bodies in Linear Static Pressure Gradients|
CitationSurcel, M. and Provencher, Y., "Trailer Aerodynamic Technologies Wind Tunnel Testing Compared to Track Test Results," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2822, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-2822.
- Surcel , M. , Michaelsen , J. , and Provencher , Y. Track-test Evaluation of Aerodynamic Drag Reducing Measures for Class 8 Tractor-Trailers SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2600 2008 10.4271/2008-01-2600
- Surcel , M. , Provencher , Y. , and Michaelsen , J. Fuel Consumption Track Tests for Tractor-Trailer Fuel Saving Technologies SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 2 2 191 202 2009 10.4271/2009-01-2891
- Auto Research Center (ARC) Class Eight Semi Truck Aerodynamic Fuel Economy Development Transtex Component Test November 12 2010 Indianapolis, IN November 2010
- Lemay , J. , Boutin , F. Optimisation de la traînée aérodynamique d'une remorque à haut volume pour l'industrie du transport routier Université Laval and FPInnovations Pointe-Claire, QC 2011
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice Joint TMC/SAE Fuel Consumption Test Procedure - Type II SAE Standard J1321 Oct. 1986
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice Joint TMC/SAE Fuel Consumption Test Procedure - Type III SAE Standard J1526 Jun. 1987
- Truck Manufacturers Association Test, Evaluation, and Demonstration of Practical Devices/Systems to Reduce Aerodynamic Drag of Tractor/Semitrailer Combination Unit Trucks Final Report, April 2007 National Energy Technology Laboratory Morgantown West Virginia Washington, DC 2007
- Peterbilt Motors Company White Paper on Truck Aerodynamics and Fuel Efficiency 2009
- Horrigan , K. , Duncan , B. , Sivakumar , P. , Gupta , A. et al. Aerodynamic Simulations of a Class 8 Heavy Truck: Comparison to Wind Tunnel Results and Investigation of Blockage Influences SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-4295 2007 10.4271/2007-01-4295
- ETSU & MIRA Truck Aerodynamic Styling Energy Efficiency Best Practice Programme, GPG 308 2001
- Cooper , K. and Leuschen , J. Model and Full-Scale Wind Tunnel Tests of Second-Generation Aerodynamic Fuel Saving Devices for Tractor-Trailers SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3512 2005 10.4271/2005-01-3512
- Saunders , J. , Watkins , S. , Hoffmann , P. , and Buckley , F. Comparison of On-Road and Wind-Tunnel Tests for Tractor-Trailer Aerodynamic Devices, and Fuel Savings Predictions SAE Technical Paper 850286 1985 10.4271/850286
- Heinecke , M. , Beedy , J. , Horrigan , K. , and Sengupta , R. Aerodynamic Study of a Production Tractor Trailer Combination using Simulation and Wind Tunnel Methods SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-2040 2010 10.4271/2010-01-2040
- Barlow , J. B. , Rae , W. H. , Pope , A. Low Speed Wind Tunnel Testing Third John Wiley and Sons, Inc. 1999
- Environment Canada http://www.climate.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice Fuel Consumption Test Procedure - Type II SAE Standard J1321 Feb. 2012
- EPA, United States Environmental Protection Agency Interim Test Method for Verifying Fuel-Saving components for SmartWay: Modifications to SAE J1321 EPA-420-F-09-046 Washington, DC 2012
- Finch , W. F. Motor Truck Engineering Handbook Fourth Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. Warrendale, PA 1-56091-378-9 1994
- Gillespie , D., T. Fundamentals of Vehicle Dynamics Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. Warrendale, PA 1-56091-199-9 1992
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice SAE Wind Tunnel Test Procedure for Trucks and Buses SAE Standard J1252 Jul. 2012
- California Air Ressources Board (CARB) Implementation Guidance for the Tractor-Trailer GHG Regulation Emission Research and Regulatory Development Branch 2012