This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Piston Crown Shape on In-Cylinder Flow Characteristics in a Direct Injection Engine - A CFD Study
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 27, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: 8th SAEINDIA International Mobility Conference & Exposition and Commercial Vehicle Engineering Congress 2013 (SIMCOMVEC)
In modern direct injection gasoline engines, air-fuel mixing has a strong influence on combustion and emission characteristics, which in turn largely depends on in-cylinder fluid motion. However, in-cylinder fluid motion dependent on many engine parameters viz., piston shape, engine speed, intake manifold orientation, compression ratio, fuel injection timing, duration, etc. Among them, piston shape has significant influence on the in-cylinder fluid motion. Therefore, this study aims on evaluating the effect of piston shape on in-cylinder flows in a direct injection engine using CFD. In this study, a single-cylinder, two-valve, four-stroke direct injection engine designed for two-wheeler application in India is considered for the analysis. ‘STAR-CD’ and és-ice’ are used for CFD analysis. Pressure boundary values obtained from measurements in the actual engine are employed. Two piston-shapes viz., flat and bowl types at wide-open-throttle under non-firing conditions are considered. Mainly analysis has been done to obtain in-cylinder velocity vector fields and in-cylinder flows, which are characterized by tumble ratio and turbulent kinetic energy. In addition, motoring experiments were conducted on an actual engine to measure in-cylinder pressure variation in order to compare it with CFD results. From the analysis of results, it is found that bowl shaped piston generates higher TR and TKE than those of flat piston by about 15 and 12% respectively.
CitationSureshkumar, J., V, G., Mallikarjuna, J., and Govindarajan, S., "Effect of Piston Crown Shape on In-Cylinder Flow Characteristics in a Direct Injection Engine - A CFD Study," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2797, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-2797.
- Achuth , M. and Mehta P. 2001 Predictions of Tumble and Turbulence in Four Valve Pent roof Spark Ignition Engines Journal of Engine Research 2 3
- Aligieri , A. , Bova S. , Bortolo C. and Nigro A. 2007 Numerical and Experimental Analysis of Intake Flow in a High Performance Four Stroke Motor Cycle Engine - Influence of Two-Equation Turbulence Models ASME Journal of Engineering and Gas Turbines and Power 129
- Arcoumanis , C. , Hu , Z. , Vafidis , C. , and Whitelaw , J. Tumbling Motion: A Mechanism for Turbulence Enhancement in Spark-Ignition Engines SAE Technical Paper 900060 1990 10.4271/900060
- Baby , X. and Floch , A. Investigation of the In-Cylinder Tumble Motion In a Multi-Valve Engine: Effect of the Piston Shape SAE Technical Paper 971643 1997 10.4271/971643
- Cathcart , G. and Zavier , C. Fundamental Characteristics of an Air-Assisted Direct Injection Combustion System as Applied to 4-Stroke Automotive Gasoline Engines SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0256 2000 10.4271/2000-01-0256
- Computational Dynamics Limited STAR CD+ v 4.10 User and Methodology Manuals 2010
- Gosman , A. , Tsui , Y. , and Watkins , A. Calculation of Three Dimensional Air Motion in Model Engines SAE Technical Paper 840229 1984 10.4271/840229
- Gosman , A. , Tsui , Y. , and Vafidis , C. Flow in a Model Engine with a Shrouded Valve-A Combined Experimental and Computational Study SAE Technical Paper 850498 1985 10.4271/850498
- Hascher , H. , Schock , H. , Avanessian , O. , and Novak , J. A Comparison of Modeled and Measured 3-D In-Cylinder Charge Motion Throughout the Displacement of a Four-Valve SI Engine SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-2799 2000 10.4271/2000-01-2799
- Haworth , D. , El Tahry , S. , Huebler , M. , and Chang , S. Multidimensional Port-and-Cylinder Flow Calculations for Two- and Four-Valve-Per-Cylinder Engines: Influence of Intake Configuration on Flow Structure SAE Technical Paper 900257 1990 10.4271/900257
- Henriot , S. , Le Coz , J. , and Pinchon , P. Three Dimensional Modelling of Flow and Turbulence In a Four-valve Spark Ignition Engine - Comparison with LDV Measurements SAE Technical Paper 890843 1989 10.4271/890843
- Heywood , J. B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw Hill 1988
- Luo , K. and Bray , K. 3D Simulation of Induction Port Flow of a Four-Valve Engine Configuration SAE Technical Paper 920586 1992 10.4271/920586
- Versteeg , K and Malalasekara W. An Introduction To Computational Fluid Dynamics -The Finite Volume Method Longman Group Ltd. 1995
- Yamada , T. , Inoue , T. , Yoshimatsu , A. , Hiramatsu , T. et al. In-Cylinder Gas Motion of Multivalve Engine-Three Dimensional Numerical Simulation SAE Technical Paper 860465 1986 10.4271/860465