This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Emission Formation Study of HCCI Combustion with Gasoline Surrogate Fuels
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 14, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
HCCI combustion can be enabled by many types of liquid and gaseous fuels. When considering what fuels will be most suitable, the emissions also have to be taken into account. This study focuses on the emissions formation originating from different fuel components.
A systematic study of over 40 different gasoline surrogate fuels was made. All fuels were studied in a CFR engine running in HCCI operation. Many of the fuels were blended to achieve similar RON's and MON's as gasoline fuels, and the components (n-heptane, iso-octane, toluene, and ethanol) were chosen to represent the most important in gasoline; nparaffins, iso-paraffins, aromatics and oxygenates. The inlet air temperature was varied from 50°C to 150°C to study the effects on the emissions. The compression ratio was adjusted for each operating point to achieve combustion 3 degrees after TDC. The engine was run at an engine speed of 600 rpm, with ambient intake air pressure and with an equivalence ratio of 0.33.
NOx emissions were low for all operating points, and ethanol and toluene addition was found to decrease NOx emissions for higher octane fuels. CO emissions were related to in-cylinder temperature by formation from HC and oxidation to CO2. HC emissions were found to be mainly dependent on the compression ratio used in each case. Ethanol addition was shown to reduce HC emissions for combustion at a given compression ratio. Toluene addition was found to increase HC emissions at a given CR when high concentrations (40-60 vol.%) were added. Low concentrations of toluene showed a small decrease of or no effect on HC emissions.
CitationTruedsson, I., Tuner, M., Johansson, B., and Cannella, W., "Emission Formation Study of HCCI Combustion with Gasoline Surrogate Fuels," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2626, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-2626.
- Pitz , W. , Cernansky , N. , Dryer , F. , Egolfopoulos , F. et al. Development of an Experimental Database and Chemical Kinetic Models for Surrogate Gasoline Fuels SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0175 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0175
- Machado , G.B. , Barros , J.E.M. , Braga , S.L. , Braga , C.V.M. , Oliviera , E.J. , Silva , A.H.M.F.T. , Carvalho , L.O. Investigation on surrogate fuels for high-octane oxygenated gasolines Fuel 90 640 646 2011
- Warnatz , J. , Maas , U. , Dibble , R.W. 2006 Combustion Physical and Chemical Fundamentals, Modeling and Simulation, Experiments, Pollutant Formation Springer Berlin
- Christensen , M. , Johansson , B. , and Hultqvist , A. The Effect of Piston Topland Geometry on Emissions of Unburned Hydrocarbons from a Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Engine SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1893 2001 10.4271/2001-01-1893
- Aceves , S. , Flowers , D. , Espinosa-Loza , F. , Martinez-Frias , J. et al. Spatial Analysis of Emissions Sources for HCCI Combustion at Low Loads Using a Multi-Zone Model SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1910 2004 10.4271/2004-01-1910
- Dec , J. A Computational Study of the Effects of Low Fuel Loading and EGR on Heat Release Rates and Combustion Limits in HCCI Engines SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1309 2002 10.4271/2002-01-1309
- Dec , J. , Sjöberg , M. , Hwang , W. , Davisson , M. et al. Detailed HCCI Exhaust Speciation and the Sources of Hydrocarbon and Oxygenated Hydrocarbon Emissions SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 1 1 50 67 2008 10.4271/2008-01-0053
- Sjöberg , M. and Dec , J.E. An Investigation into Lowest Acceptable Combustion Temperatures for Hydrocarbon Fuels in HCCI Engine Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 30 2719 2726 2005
- Li , H. , Neill , W. , Chippior , W. , Graham , L. et al. An Experimental Investigation on the Emission Characteristics of HCCI Engine Operation Using N-Heptane SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1854 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1854
- Morgan , N. , Smallbone , A. , Bhave , A. , Kraft , M. , Cracknell , R. , Kalghatgi , G. Mapping surrogate gasoline compositions into RON/MON space Combustion and Flame 157 1122 1131 2010
- Heywood , J. B. 1988 Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill New York
- Truedsson , I. , Tuner , M. , Johansson , B. , and Cannella , W. Pressure Sensitivity of HCCI Auto- Ignition Temperature for Gasoline Surrogate Fuels SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1669 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1669
- Truedsson , I. , Tuner , M. , Johansson , B. , and Cannella , W. Pressure Sensitivity of HCCI Auto- Ignition Temperature for Primary Reference Fuels SAE Int. J. Engines 5 3 1089 1108 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1128