This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effects of Engine Operating Parameters on Morphology of Particulates from a Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 14, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Detailed characteristics of particulate matter (PM) from a gasoline-direct-injection (GDI) engine were analyzed in terms of primary and aggregate particle sizes, morphology, and nanostructures. For the work, PM was collected from exhaust streams of the engine on transmission electron microscope (TEM) grids by using a thermophoretic sampler. To evaluate the effects of engine load and speed on the properties of PM, the engine was operated at loads of 25, 50, and 75% at 1500 and 3000 rpm. In addition, the effects of fuel injection timing on the PM were examined for samples subjected to injection timings of 190, 230, 260, 300 and 330° bTDC at the constant engine load (50% load) and speed (1500 rpm).
The results showed that with advancing injection timing, average primary and aggregate particle sizes gradually increased, which implies that fuel-air mixing is a crucial factor influencing particle size. In particular, an increased number of nano-particles smaller than 20 nm in dp and Rg at 190° bTDC were found. Fractal analysis showed that aggregates from the GDI engine reside in compactness in between those from light-duty diesel engines and from heavy-duty diesel engines.
High-resolution TEM examinations revealed that PM from the GDI engine had less-ordered graphitic structures than from typical diesel engines. Also, it is noted that like soot derived with alcohol blends disclosed in our previous studies, certain particles produced at only 3000 rpm were observed to undergo particle expansion by exposing to a high-energy electron beam during TEM measurements, which has been rarely reported for diesel particles.
CitationSeong, H., Lee, K., and Choi, S., "Effects of Engine Operating Parameters on Morphology of Particulates from a Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2574, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-2574.
- Zhao , F. , Lai , M.-C. and Harrington , D.L. Automotive Spark-Ignited Direct-Injection Gasoline Engines Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 25 437 562 1999
- Office of transportation and air quality, United States Environmental Protection Agency Light-Duty Automotive Technology, Carbon Dioxide Emissions, and Fuel Economy Trends: 1975 through 2011 EPA-420-R-12-001a 2012 http://www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/mpg/fetrends/2012/420r12001a.pdf
- California Air Resources Board Preliminary Discussion Paper - Proposed Amendments to California's Low-Emission Vehicle Regulations - Particulate Matter Mass, Ultrafine Solid Particle Number, and Black Carbon Emissions 2010 http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/levprog/leviii/meetings/051810/pm_disc_paper-v6.pdf
- Kittelson , D.B. Engines and Nanoparticles: a review Journal of Aerosol Science 29 575 588 1998
- Sakurai , H. , Tobias , H. J. , Park , K. , Zarling , D. , Docherty , K. S. , Kittelson , D. B. , McMurry , P. H. and Ziemann , P. J. On-line Measurements of Diesel Nanoparticle Composition and Volatility Atmospheric Environment 37 1199 1210 2003
- De Filippo , A. and Maricq , M.M. Diesel Nucleation Mode Particles: Semivolatiles or Solid? Environmental Science and Technology 42 7957 7962 2008
- Lähde , T. , Rönkkö , T. , Virtanen , A. , Schuck , T.J. , Pirjola , L. , Hämeri , K. , Kulmala , M. , Arnold , F. , Rothe , D. and Keskinen , J. Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Exhaust Aerosol Particle and Ion Measurements Environmental Science and Technology 43 163 168 2009
- Sgro , L.A. , Sementa , P. , Vaglieco , B.M. , Rusciano , G. D'Anna , A. and Minutolo , P. Investigation the Origin of Nuclei Particles in GDI Engine Exhausts Combustion and Flame 159 1687 1692 2012
- Giechaskiel , B. , Chirico , R. , DeCarlo , P.F. , Clairotte , M. , Adam , T. , Martini , G. , Heringa , M.F. , Richter , R. , Prevot , A.S.H. , Baltensperger , U. and Astorga , C. Evaluation of the Particle Measurement Programme (PMP) Protocol To Remove the Vehicles' Exhaust Aerosol Volatile Phase Science of The Total Environment 408 5106 5116 2010
- Zheng , Z. , Johnson , K.C. , Liu , Z. , Durbin , T.D. , Hu , S. , Huai , T. , Kittelson , D.B. and Jung , H.S. Investigation of Solid Particle Number Measurement: Existence and Nature of Sub-23 nm Particles under PMP Methodology Journal of Aerosol Science 42 883 897 2011
- Dobbins , R.A. Hydrocarbon nanoparticles formed in flames and diesel engines Aerosol science and Technology 41 485 496 2007
- Lee , K. , Seong , H. , Sakai , S. , Hageman , M. et al. Detailed Morphological Properties of Nanoparticles from Gasoline Direct Injection Engine Combustion of Ethanol Blends SAE Technical Paper 2013-24-0185 2013 10.4271/2013-24-0185
- Lee , K. , Seong , H. , Church , W. , and McConnell , S. Examination of Particulate Emissions from Alcohol Blended Fuel Combustion in a GDI Engine The 8 th International Symposium on Diagnostics and Modeling of Combustion in Internal Combustion Engines (COMODIA) Fukuoka, Japan 2012
- Barone , T.L. , Storey , J.M.E. , Youngquist , A.D. , and Szybist , J.P. An Analysis of Direct-Injection Spark-Ignition (DISI) Soot Morphology Atmospheric Environment 49 268 274 2012
- Song , J. and Lee , K. Fuel Property Impacts on Diesel Particulate Morphology, Nanostructures, and NOx Emissions SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0129 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0129
- Seong , H. , Lee , K. , Choi , S. , Adams , C. et al. Characterization of Particulate Morphology, Nanostructures, and Sizes in Low-Temperature Combustion with Biofuels SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0441 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0441
- Maricq , M. , Podsiadlik , D. , Brehob , D. , and Haghgooie , M. Particulate Emissions from a Direct-Injection Spark-Ignition (DISI) Engine SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1530 1999 10.4271/1999-01-1530
- Drake , M. , Fansler , T. , Solomon , A. , and Szekely , G. Piston Fuel Films as a Source of Smoke and Hydrocarbon Emissions from a Wall-Controlled Spark-Ignited Direct-Injection Engine SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0547 2003 10.4271/2003-01-0547
- Lee , K.O. , Cole , R. , Sekar , R. and Choi , M.Y. Microscopic Structure, Dimensions and Fractal Geometry of Diesel Particulates The 3 rd Asia-Pacific Conference on Combustion June 24 27 Seoul, Korea 2001
- Lee , K. and Zhu , J. Effects of Exhaust System Components on Particulate Morphology in a Light-duty Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0184 2005 10.4271/2005-01-0184
- Yazicioglua , A.G. , Megaridis , C.M. , Campbell , A. , Lee , K.-O. , and Choi , M.Y. Measurement of Fractal Properties of Soot Agglomerates in Laminar Coflow Diffusion Flames Using Thermophoretic Sampling in Conjunction with Transmission Electron Microscopy and Image Processing Combust. Sci. and Tech. 171 71 87 2001
- Vander Wal , R.L. , Tomasek , A.J. , Pamphlet , M.I. , Taylor , C.D. , and Thompson , W.K. Analysis of HRTEM Images for Carbon Nanostructure Quantification Journal of Nanoparticle Research 6 555 568 2004
- Yehliu , K. , Vander Wal , R.L. , and Boehman , A.L. Development of An HRTEM Image Analysis Method to Quantify Carbon Nanostructure Combustion and Flame 158 1837 1851 2011
- Hurt , R.H. , Crawford , G.P. , and Shim , H.-S. Equilibrium Nanostructure of Primary Soot Particles Proceedings of Combustion Institute 28 2539 2546 2000