This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
IVHM Development and the Big Data Paradigm
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 17, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper discusses the correlation of IVHM (Integrated Vehicle Health Management) as an emerging aerospace discipline and the Big Data paradigm widely discussed in the Information Technology industry. The 4-V model is discussed to qualify a Big Data problem in terms of the volume, variety, velocity and veracity of the data involved. Big Data management allows, for example, correlations to be found to “spot business trends, determine quality of research, prevent diseases, combat crime, and determine real-time roadway traffic conditions”. Examining these two fields side by side is necessary and desirable because innovation is very likely to occur when and where different but correlated domains interface. This paper compares the most significant technical components required for Big Data Analytics and IVHM to work. Most aerospace players have recognized the strategic value of IVHM, but only a few have been able to establish coordinated action plans that allow them to offer advanced services in line with the possibilities envisioned. To help address this fact, the paper will discuss the challenges for IVHM implementation, including how the aircraft design process needs to be modified to incorporate IVHM trade studies complete enough to allow the enterprise to compare development costs to long term savings on operations, maintenance and sustaining efforts. A generic IVHM platform will be described, including examples for the ground analytics components, which are identified as the most value added parts.
|Journal Article||Challenges for Costs and Benefits Evaluation of IVHM Systems|
|Technical Paper||Knowledge System Based Design-for-Reliability for Developing Connected Intelligent Products|
|Book||Integrated Vehicle Health Management: The Technology|
CitationPuttini, L., "IVHM Development and the Big Data Paradigm," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2332, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-2332.
- TERADATA Big Data info graphic February 2013
- WIPRO Big Data info graphic February 2013
- Taurion , C. Cloud Computing Brasport Books 2009
- EMCIEN white paper The Big Data Paradigm Shift: Insight Through Automation 2012
- Sathi , A. Big Data Analytics: Disruptive Technologies for Changing the Game MC Press Books 2012
- Walter Bob Including OSA-CBM and OSA-EAI in Integrated System Health Management Machinery Information Management Open Standards Alliance 2006
- Saxena , A. et al. Requirements Specifications for Prognostics: An Overview American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics 2010