This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
MAAT Cruiser/Feeder Airship: Connection and Passenger Exchange Modes
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 17, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In the general framework of the EU FP7 MAAT project, a novel green air transport architecture is under development. The paper presents the possible architectures for the cabin connections and the transfer modalities for people, crew and freight, for to the European project MAAT. Different architectures have been evaluated setting out to cover the structural and propulsive needs and to enable the transport modes between the Cruiser and the Feeders. The different possibilities are discussed conceptually, by considering the advantages and disadvantages of the presented configurations. The bases for future detailed design and research are established, as through such conceptual study the main parameters are identified and found to affect the general design of both airships and their operability. The aim of this paper is to specify the necessary elements, which are necessary to perform the docking operation by taking into account the prescribed Feeder-Cruiser geometries. Consequently, it provides the guidelines for the initial validation of the feasibility to apply the proposed Cruiser- Feeder shapes. It is expected that the results will be applied to the new generation of airships design by allowing the definition of the future Cruiser/Feeder based aerial transport.
CitationVucinic, D., Sunol, A., Trancossi, M., Dumas, A. et al., "MAAT Cruiser/Feeder Airship: Connection and Passenger Exchange Modes," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2113, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-2113.
- Dumas , A. , Madonia , M. , Giuliani , I. , and Trancossi , M. MAAT Cruiser/Feeder Project: Criticalities and Solution Guidelines SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2784 2011 10.4271/2011-01-2784
- 2012 http://www.eumaat.info
- Dumas , A. , Trancossi , M. , and Madonia , M. Energetic Design and Optimization of a Large Photovoltaic Stratospheric Unconventional Feeder Airship SAE Int. J. Aerosp. 5 2 354 370 2012 10.4271/2012-01-2166
- Suñol; A. Vucinic D. ; Markova T. ; Aksenov A. ; Moskalyov I. Experimental and Numerical Study of the Effect of the Lateral Wind on the Feeder Airship proceedings of International Conference on Fluid Dynamics and Mechanics (ICFDM-2013) Venice 2013 Venice
- Pshikhopov , V. , Medvedev , M. , Neydorf , R. , Krukhmalev , V. et al. Impact of the Feeder Aerodynamics Characteristics on the Power of Control Actions in Steady and Transient Regimes SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-2112 2012 10.4271/2012-01-2112
- Khoury G. A. Airship Technology Cambridge University Press 2004
- Vucinic D. , Suñol A. , Vanlanduit S. , Aksenov A. , Markova T. and Moskalyov I. Numerical modeling of the docking operation in the MAAT project Multibody Dynamics ECCOMAS Zagreb 2013
- Title 14 - Aeronautics and Space. Chapter I - Federal Aviation Administration, Department of Transportation. Subchapter C - Aircraft. Part 25 - Airworthiness Standards: Transport Category Airplanes. Subpart C - Structure. - Flight Maneuver and Gust
- Dumas , A. , Madonia , M. , Trancossi , M. , and Vucinic , D. Photovoltaic Cruiser-Feeder Airships Design by Constructal Design for Efficiency Method 2013
- Cown N. B. William Mc. Structural latches for modular assembly of spacecraft and space mechanisms NASA. Langley Research Center, The 22nd Aerospace Mechanisms Symposium 29 44
- Dowen David , Christiansen Scott and Arulf Orjan Development of a Reusable, Low-Shock Clamp Band Separation system Proceedings of the 9th European Space Mechanisms and Tribology Symposium Liège, Belgium 19 21 September 2001
- Airship Design Criteria, U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Aviation Administration CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform July 2 2007