This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Steel Clad Aluminum Brake
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 30, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Aluminum based brake rotors have been a priority research topic in the DOE 1999 Aluminum Industry Roadmap for the Automobile Market. After fourteen years, no satisfactory technology has been developed to solve the problem of aluminum's low working temperatures except the steel clad aluminum (SCA) brake technology. This technology research started at Michigan Technological University (MTU) in 2001 and has matured recently for commercial productions. The SCA brake rotor has a solid body and replaces the traditional convective cooling of a vented rotor with conductive cooling to a connected aluminum wheel. Much lower temperatures result with the aluminum wheel acting as a great heat sink/radiator. The steel cladding further increases the capability of the SCA rotor to withstand higher surface temperatures. During the road tests of SCA rotors on three cars, significant gas mileage improvement was found; primarily attributed to the unique capability of the SCA rotor on pad drag reduction.
|Technical Paper||Brake Drag Fundamentals|
|Technical Paper||A Review of Practical Water-Jet Propulsion|
|Technical Paper||Experimental Investigation and Surface Characterization of a Developed Frictional Composite Material for Vehicle Brakes|
- Scott Huang - Michigan Technological Univ.
- Jiann-Yang Hwang - Michigan Technological Univ.
- Robert Page - Michigan Technological Univ.
- Xiaobin Song - LiteBrake Tech, LLC
- Jim Wagnitz - LiteBrake Tech, LLC
- Nannon Huang - LiteBrake Tech, LLC
- Gerald Schaefer - V&L Tool, Inc.
- Matt Schaefer - V&L Tool, Inc.
CitationHuang, S., Hwang, J., Page, R., Song, X. et al., "Development of Steel Clad Aluminum Brake," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2054, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-2054.
- 28th Annual Car Care Center Study - Brakes Aftermarket Business April 2002 32
- National Transportation Statistics 2005 - Table 4-11: Passenger Car and Motorcycle Fuel Consumption and Travel Bureau of Transportation Statistics www.bts.gov 2005
- Aluminum Industry Roadmap for the Automotive Market Aluminum Association, Inc. May 1999 35
- Limpert , R. Brake Design and Safety” Second Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. Warrendale, PA 978-1560919155 1999 10.4271/R-198
- Adebisi A.A. , Maleque M.A. , and Rahman M.M. Metal Matrix Composite Brake Rotor: Historical Development and Product Life Cycle Analysis International Journal of Automotive and Mechanical Engineering (IJAME) 4 471 480 July December 2011
- Withers Graham Ultalite Aluminum Composites Advanced Materials & Processes September 2005 45 47
- Kero , M. , Hewer , T. , and Zills , J. Light-Weight Aluminum Composite Brake Drum Damage Tolerance SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1922 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1922
- Lichter J. Aluminum Applications Expand Advanced Materials & Processes 10 1996 19
- Rinek L.M. U.S. passenger car brake history Automotive Engineering July 1995 103 7 37
- Hammond Donald E. Castable Composites Target New Applications Modern Casting September 1990 27 31
- Weiss David J. Casting Metal Matrix Composite Advanced Materials & Processes 153 3 1998 29 30
- Rohatgi Pradeep Cast Aluminum-Matrix Composites for Automotive Applications JOM April 1991 15
- Chan Y.W. Application of a solidification model to the casting of an aluminum brake drum Journal of Materials Processing Technology 29 1-3 Jan. 1992 223 234
- Aluminum composite brake rotors Advanced Materials & Processes 6 1993
- Aluminum graphite composite applied in new auto brake Advanced Materials & Processes 8 1996 7
- Stephenson T.F. et al Aluminum Hybrid Composites containing Nickel-Coated Graphite Particulate TMS/ASM Materials Week Cincinnati, OH 9 Oct. 1996
- Bell J.A.E. et al Some Automotive Applications for Cast Graphite Aluminum Nickel Silicon Carbide MMC TMS/ASM Materials Week Cincinnati, OH 9 Oct. 1996
- DWA Aluminum Composites Company Profile DRA Product Catalogue, DWA Aluminum Composites 21130 Superior Street, Chatsworth, CA. Spring 1997
- Withers Graham Aluminum Blend is light, strong, hard and cheap Ascent Technology Magazine September 1997 3 6
- Hertel , J. , Suster , J. , Hawley , J. , and Huang , X. Finite Difference Heat Transfer Model of a Steelclad Aluminum Brake Rotor SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3943 2005 10.4271/2005-01-3943
- Huang , X. , Hwang , J. , and Song , X. High Performance Auto Parts Could be Produced Using CastCon Manufacturing Process SAE Technical Paper 970429 1997 10.4271/970429
- Huang X. , Hwang J. Y. and Song X. CastCon-A Combination of Casting, Forging, P/M, Bonding and Coating to Produce High Performance Components The Proceedings of 5th International Conference on Advanced Particulate Materials and Processes April 7 9 1997 West Palm Beach, Florida 279 286
- Paxton K. L. and Huang X. CastCon: new approach to manufacturing high performance components from particulate materials Powder Metallurgy 1997 40 4 250 252
- Huang S. X. and Paxton Kip A Macrocomposite Al Brake Rotor for Reduced Weight and Improved Performance JOM August 1998 50 26 28