This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Combustion and Vibration Characteristics in a Small Displacement Diesel Engine Fueled with Biodiesel Blends
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 13, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents the results of an experimental study on the application of an engine block vibration transducer. The aim of the study was to accomplish a real time management of the control unit using the vibration signal as a feedback to correct the injection parameters setting.
The continuously strengthened exhaust emission regulations and the constrains related to the fuel consumption and noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) characteristics, have determined increasing interest towards investigation of the potentiality of new combustion technologies and fuel blends capable of reducing particulate matter and NOx emissions. Focus has also been paid to non-intrusive techniques for the combustion process characterization by means of sensors, such as microphones and accelerometers. The signal of these sensors can be profitably used for the optimization of the injection strategy (e.g. number of injections, quantity of fuel delivered in each shot, injection timings) under stationary and transient engine's operation.
The results here presented are a part of a wide research program where the vibration signal of the engine block is used to fully characterize the combustion development of conventional diesel fuel. Through the vibration signal is possible to identify the crank angle values corresponding to the subsequent combustion phases and to estimate the maximum value of the pressure trace during the combustion process.
During the present study, an enhancement and an extension of such technique was obtained which demonstrated its suitability to be applied in the real engine operation to optimize the injection process through the control unit, accounting for the fuel properties.
The experimentation was performed on a small displacement two cylinder common-rail diesel engine fueled with different biodiesel blends. The complete engine operative field was investigated under stationary conditions.
CitationChiatti, G., Chiavola, O., and Recco, E., "Combustion and Vibration Characteristics in a Small Displacement Diesel Engine Fueled with Biodiesel Blends," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1902, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1902.
- Kegl , B. Influence of biodiesel on engine combustion and emission characteristics Applied Energy 2011 88 5 1803 1812
- Lee , D. , Jeong , K. , Roh , H. , G. , Lee , C. , S. An experimental study of two-stage combustion strategy on combustion and emission characteristics in a diesel engine fueled with biodiesel blends Proceedings of the ASME 2012 Internal Combustion Engine Division Spring Technical Conference, ICES2012-81178
- Rakopoulos , C. D. , Antonopoulos , K. , A. , Rakopoulos , D. C. , Hountalas , D. , T. , Giakoumis , E. G. Comparative performance and emissions study of a direct injection Diesel engine using blends of diesel fuel with vegetable oils or bio-diesels of various origins Energy Conversion & Management 2006 47 3272 3287
- Badawi , B. , Shahin , M. , Kolosy , M. , Shedied , S. et al. Identification of Diesel Engine Cycle Events using Measured Surface Vibration SAE Technical Paper 2006-32-0097 2006 10.4271/2006-32-0097
- Polonowski , C. , Mathur , V. , Naber , J. , and Blough , J. Accelerometer Based Sensing of Combustion in a High Speed HPCR Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0972 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0972
- Morello , A. , Blough , J. , Naber , J. , and Jia , L. Signal Processing Parameters for Estimation of the Diesel Engine Combustion Signature SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 4 2 1201 1215 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1649
- Carlucci , A. P. , Chiara , F. F. , Laforgia , D. Analysis of the relation between injection parameter variation and block vibration of an internal combustion diesel engine Journal of Sound and Vibration 2006 295 141 164
- Johnsson , R. Cylinder pressure reconstruction based on complex radial basis function networks from vibration and speed signals Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 2006 20 1923 1940
- Arnone , L. , Boni , M. , Manelli , S. , Chiavola , O. et al. Diesel Engine Combustion Monitoring through Block Vibration Signal Analysis SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0765 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0765
- Chiavola , O. , Chiatti , G. , and Recco , E. Accelerometer Measurements to Optimize the Injection Strategy SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1341 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1341
- Pipitone , E. and Beccari , A. A Study on the Use of Combustion Phase Indicators for MBT Spark Timing on a Bi-Fuel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2007-24-0051 2007 10.4271/2007-24-0051