This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Studies on Edge Strain Hardening Produced by Trimming Operations
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Advanced high strength steels (AHSS) are widely used in the automotive industry for various applications especially for structural and safety parts. One of the concerns for AHSS in stamping operations is edge fracture originating from sheared blanked edges. This type of failure cannot be predicted by computer simulations using the conventional forming limit as the failure criterion. The reason for this is that edge damage produced by the blanking operation is not incorporated into the computer models to properly simulate the material edge formability. This study presents a method to evaluate edge damage in terms of the residual stress at the sheared edge produced by the blanking operation. The method uses the level and distribution of edge strain hardening (ESH) through the material thickness as an index to characterize the edge damage caused by the shearing operation.
|Journal Article||Fracture Modeling of AHSS in Component Crush Tests|
|Technical Paper||Deep Drawing by Indirect Hot Stamping|
|Journal Article||Development of Empirical Shear Fracture Criterion for AHSS|
CitationChiriac, C. and Shi, M., "Studies on Edge Strain Hardening Produced by Trimming Operations," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1774, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1774.
- Chen X.M. , Du C. , Wu X. , Zhu X. and Liu S-D Sheet Metal Shearing and Edge Characterization of Dual Phase Steels IDDRG 2009
- Wu X. Flange Shear Affected Zone Study Technical Report to Auto Steel Partnership September 2008 www.asp.org
- Chintamani , J. and Sriram , S. Sheared Edge Characterization of Steel Products used for Closure Panel Applications SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1589 2006 10.4271/2006-01-1589
- Hartman G. Blanking and Shearing for AHSS - Quality Aspects of Sheared Edges and Prediction of Cutting Forces European Automotive Suppliers Conference 2004 Berlin Germany
- Nakata M. , Uematsu K. , Koeseki S. Shear Deformation Properties of Ultra High Strength Steel Sheet IDDRG 2006
- Shih H-C. , Chiriac C. , Shi M.F. The Effects of AHSS Shear Edge Condition on Edge Fracture MSEC2010- 34062, 2010 MSEC Conference
- Chiriac C Sheared Edge Performance of DP Steels - Conventional vs. Improved Bending and Flanging (IBF) Steels - 2010 MS&T Conference
- Chiriac , C. , Shi , M. , and Link , T. The Prestrain Effect on the Sheared Edge Flangeability of Dual Phase 780 Steels SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0533 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0533
- ISO - International Organization for Standardization Method of Hole Expanding Test ISO/TS 16630-2003