This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Use of Biodiesel on the Performance and Emission Characteristics of Diesel Engined Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Biodiesel is becoming a common propulsion fuel, as various countries around the world add it to mineral diesel oil, usually as B2 or B5. In low percentages there is no major difference to diesel fuel in terms of power delivered and emissions, but as the percentage rises some alterations are evident on the engine output. These alterations depend on the type of engine, being different from engine to engine.
Two Ford Ranger PickUps were used in this study. The diesel engines were different, one a high compression ratio with an old pump-distributer fuel injection system and the other using a common rail system were tested with 5%, 50% and 100% biodiesel-diesel blends on a rolling road dynamometer. The control system of the engines was stock, with no alterations for the various blends.
The results show the expected trend in terms of power and emissions, but the differences between the engines display interesting results that can be traced to the differences in engine specifications.
Two similar newer engines were tested in a long road trip in similar vehicles, one with diesel and the other with biodiesel. The results confirm the laboratory tests in terms of acceleration and fume production. Fuel consumption, in volume of fuel and energy, was also determined.
CitationMartins, J., Torres, F., Torres, E., Pimenta, H. et al., "The Use of Biodiesel on the Performance and Emission Characteristics of Diesel Engined Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1698, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1698.
- Lester RB Plan B 2.0 Rescuing a Planet Under Stress and a Civilization in Trouble NY WW Norton & Co.) Earth Policy Institute 2006
- Hammerschlag Roel Ethanol's Energy Return on Investment: A Survey of the Literature 1990-Present Environ. Sci. Technol. 40 1744 1750 2006
- Macedo , I. C. Situação Atual e Perspectivas do Etanol Estudos Avançados 21 59 157 165 2007
- Costa , R.E. , Lora , E.E.S. , Yanes , E. , Torres , E.A. The Energy Balance in the Production of Palm Oil Biodiesel - Two Case Studies: Brazil and Colombia Renewable Energy 34 2905 2913 2009
- Cleveland Cutler J. and O'Connor Peter A. Energy Return on Investment (EROI) of Oil Shale Sustainability 3 2307 2322 2011
- Martins , Jorge Motores de Combustao Interna 4rd Publindustria Porto, Portugal 978-989-723-033-2 2013
- Ziejewski , M. ; Kaufman , K.R. ; Pratt , G.L. Seminar II Northern Regional Research Center Peoria (Illinois), USA 39 19 20 October 1983
- Pinto , Angelo C. , Guarieiro , Lilian L. , Rezende , N. Michelle J. C. , Ribeiro , Núbia M. Torres , Ednildo A. , Lopes , Wilson A. Pereira , Andrade Pedro A. P. , and Jailson B. Biodiesel: An Overview J. Braz. Chem. Soc. 16 6 1313 1330 2005
- Knothe , G. , Gerpen , J.V. , Krahl , J. The Biodiesel Handbook AOCS Press 2005
- EBB (European Biodiesel Board) Statistics http://www.ebb-eu.org/stats.php June 2012
- USDE (U. S. Department of Energy) Biodiesel Production and Distribution http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/fuels/biodiesel_production.html June 2012
- ANP (Petroleum, Natural Gas and Biofuels National Agency) Anuário Estatístico Brasileiro do Petróleo, Gás Natural e Biocombustíveis 2012 report from the Associacao Nacional do Petroleo, Gas Natural e Biocombustiveis 2012
- Moraes , M. S. A , Krause , L. C. , Cunha , M. E. , Faccini , C. S. , Menezes , E. W. , Veses , R. C. , Rodrigues , M. R. A. and Caramão , E. B. Tallow Biodiesel: Properties Evaluation and Consumption Tests in a Diesel Engine Energy & Fuels 22 3 1949 1954 2008
- Proc , K. , Barnitt , R. , Hayes , R. , Ratcliff , M. et al. 100,000-Mile Evaluation of Transit Buses Operated on Biodiesel Blends (B20) SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3253 2006 10.4271/2006-01-3253
- McCormick , R. L. , Graboski , M. S. , Alleman , T. L. , and Herring , A. M. Impact of Biodiesel Source Material and Chemical Structure on Emissions of Criteria Pollutants from a Heavy-Duty Engine Environmental Science & Technology 35 9 1742 1747 2001
- Torres , E. A. , Chirinos , H. D. , Alves , C. T. , Santos , D. C. Biodiesel: o Combustível para o Novo Século Bahia Análise & Dados Salvador 16 1 89 95 2006
- Lapuerta , M , Agudelo , J.R. , Prorok , M. , Boehman , A.L. Bulk Modulus of Compressibility of Diesel/Biodiesel/HVO Blends Energy Fuels 26 2 1336 1343 2012