This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Use of Biodiesel on the Performance and Emission Characteristics of Diesel Engined Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Biodiesel is becoming a common propulsion fuel, as various countries around the world add it to mineral diesel oil, usually as B2 or B5. In low percentages there is no major difference to diesel fuel in terms of power delivered and emissions, but as the percentage rises some alterations are evident on the engine output. These alterations depend on the type of engine, being different from engine to engine.
Two Ford Ranger PickUps were used in this study. The diesel engines were different, one a high compression ratio with an old pump-distributer fuel injection system and the other using a common rail system were tested with 5%, 50% and 100% biodiesel-diesel blends on a rolling road dynamometer. The control system of the engines was stock, with no alterations for the various blends.
The results show the expected trend in terms of power and emissions, but the differences between the engines display interesting results that can be traced to the differences in engine specifications.
Two similar newer engines were tested in a long road trip in similar vehicles, one with diesel and the other with biodiesel. The results confirm the laboratory tests in terms of acceleration and fume production. Fuel consumption, in volume of fuel and energy, was also determined.
CitationMartins, J., Torres, F., Torres, E., Pimenta, H. et al., "The Use of Biodiesel on the Performance and Emission Characteristics of Diesel Engined Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1698, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1698.
- Lester RB, “Plan B 2.0 Rescuing a Planet Under Stress and a Civilization in Trouble”, (NY: WW Norton & Co.) Earth Policy Institute, 2006
- Hammerschlag Roel, “Ethanol's Energy Return on Investment: A Survey of the Literature 1990-Present”, Environ. Sci. Technol., 40, 1744-1750, 2006
- Macedo, I. C., “Situação Atual e Perspectivas do Etanol”, Estudos Avançados, Vol.21, N°59, 157-165, 2007
- Costa, R.E., Lora, E.E.S., Yanes, E., Torres, E.A., “The Energy Balance in the Production of Palm Oil Biodiesel - Two Case Studies: Brazil and Colombia”, Renewable Energy, Vol. 34, 2905-2913, 2009
- Cleveland Cutler J. and O'Connor Peter A., “Energy Return on Investment (EROI) of Oil Shale”, Sustainability, 3, 2307-2322, 2011
- Martins, Jorge, “Motores de Combustao Interna”, 4rd ed. (revised and extended, in Portuguese), Publindustria, Porto, Portugal, ISBN: 978-989-723-033-2, 2013.
- Ziejewski, M.; Kaufman, K.R.; Pratt, G.L.; Seminar II, Northern Regional Research Center, Peoria (Illinois), USA, 39. 19-20 October, 1983.
- Pinto, Angelo C., Guarieiro, Lilian L., Rezende, N. Michelle J. C., Ribeiro, Núbia M. Torres, Ednildo A., Lopes, Wilson A. Pereira, Andrade Pedro A. P., and Jailson B. “Biodiesel: An Overview”, J. Braz. Chem. Soc., Vol. 16, No. 6B, 1313-1330, 2005
- Knothe, G., Gerpen, J.V., Krahl, J. (editors), “The Biodiesel Handbook”, AOCS Press, 2005
- EBB (European Biodiesel Board), “Statistics” http://www.ebb-eu.org/stats.php, June, 2012
- USDE (U. S. Department of Energy), “Biodiesel Production and Distribution” http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/fuels/biodiesel_production.html, June, 2012
- ANP (Petroleum, Natural Gas and Biofuels National Agency), “Anuário Estatístico Brasileiro do Petróleo, Gás Natural e Biocombustíveis 2012”, report from the Associacao Nacional do Petroleo, Gas Natural e Biocombustiveis, 2012
- Moraes, M. S. A, Krause, L. C., Cunha, M. E., Faccini, C. S., Menezes, E. W., Veses, R. C., Rodrigues, M. R. A. and Caramão, E. B., “Tallow Biodiesel: Properties Evaluation and Consumption Tests in a Diesel Engine”, Energy & Fuels, Vol.22, No.3,1949-1954, 2008
- Proc, K., Barnitt, R., Hayes, R., Ratcliff, M. et al., “100,000-Mile Evaluation of Transit Buses Operated on Biodiesel Blends (B20),” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3253, 2006, doi: 10.4271/2006-01-3253.
- McCormick, R. L., Graboski, M. S., Alleman, T. L., and Herring, A. M., “Impact of Biodiesel Source Material and Chemical Structure on Emissions of Criteria Pollutants from a Heavy-Duty Engine”, Environmental Science & Technology vol 35, No.9, 1742-1747. 2001
- Torres, E. A., Chirinos, H. D., Alves, C. T., Santos, D. C., “Biodiesel: o Combustível para o Novo Século”, Bahia Análise & Dados Salvador, V. 16, No.1, 89-95, 2006
- Lapuerta, M, Agudelo, J.R., Prorok, M., Boehman, A.L., “Bulk Modulus of Compressibility of Diesel/Biodiesel/HVO Blends”, Energy Fuels, 26 (2), pp 1336-1343, 2012