This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Relation between Tip Penetration and Droplet Size of Diesel Spray
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A laser 2-focus velocimeter (L2F) was used for measurements of velocity and size of droplets in diesel sprays. The L2F has a micro-scale probe which consists of two foci. Diesel fuel was injected intermittently into the atmosphere by using a 6-hole injector nozzle. The diameter of the nozzle orifice was 0.135mm. The injection pressure was set at 80MPa. Measurement positions were located at 5, 7, 10 and 15mm from the nozzle exit. The measurement result showed that the velocity of droplets at the spray center was the highest, and decreased in the direction towards the spray periphery. The size of droplets at the spray periphery was larger than the one at the spray center. The size of droplets decreased in the direction of droplet flight on the near nozzle plane. It is understood that the breakup of droplets occurred. The size of droplets increased in the direction of droplet flight at the spray periphery on downstream planes. It is understood that the coalescence of droplets occurred. The image of spray was taken by a camera. Each penetration length was measured by averaging 5 images which were taken with same time. The acceleration of spray front is taken as the second derivative of time variation of penetration length. The acceleration of spray front decreased on near-nozzle planes, and increased at the spray periphery on downstream planes. The acceleration of spray front increased at the position where the size of droplets increased. It is understood that the size of droplets is related to the spray penetration.
CitationKomada, K., Sakaguchi, D., Tajima, H., Ueki, H. et al., "Relation between Tip Penetration and Droplet Size of Diesel Spray," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1599, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1599.
- Crua C. , Kennaird D.A. and Heikal M.R. Laser-induced incandescence study of diesel soot formation in a rapid compression machine at elevated pressures Combustion and Flame 135 4 475 488 2003
- Fezzaa K. , Lee W-K. , Cheong S-K. , Power C.F. , Lai M-C. and Wang J. High-Pressure Diesel Injection Studied by Time-Resolved X-Ray Phase-Contrast Imaging Proc. ILASS-Asia 209 212 2005
- Hung , C. , Martin , J. , and Koo , J. Injection Pressure Effects Upon Droplet Behavior in Transient Diesel Sprays SAE Technical Paper 970053 1997 10.4271/970053
- Han , J. , Lu , P. , Xie , X. , Lai , M. et al. Investigation of Diesel Spray Primary Break-up and Development for Different Nozzle Geometries SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2775 2002 10.4271/2002-01-2775
- Lacoste , J. , Crua , C. , Heikal , M. , Kennaird , D. et al. PDA Characterisation of Dense Diesel Sprays Using a Common-Rail Injection System SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3085 2003 10.4271/2003-01-3085
- Chaves H. , Kirmse C. and Obermeier F. Velocity Measurements of Dense Diesel Sprays in Pressurized Air Proceedings of Spray 2001 TU Hamburg-Harburg II. 2-1 II. 2-8 2001
- Schugger C. , Meingast U. and Renz U. Time-Resolved Velocity Measurements in the Primary Breakup Zone of a High Pressure Diesel Injection Nozzle Proceedings of ILASS-Europe 2000 Darmstadt 1 5 2000
- Ueki H. , Ishida M. and Sakaguchi D. Simultaneous Measurement of Particle Size and Velocity by Laser 2- Focus Particle Analyzer Proceedings of ICLASS94 483 490 1994
- Ueki H. , Ishida M. , Sakaguchi D. and Naganuma M. Simultaneous Measurements of Velocity and Size of Diesel Fuel Droplet near Nozzle Orifice by Laser 2-Focus Velocimeter with Micro-Scale Probe Volume Proceedings of Thiesel 369 380 2004
- Komada K. , Kawaharada N. , Sakaguchi D. , Ueki H. and Ishida M. Evaluation of Mass Flow Rate Distribution in Diesel Fuel Spray by L2F Proceedings of the ASME 2011 Internal Combustion Engine Division Fall Technical Conference, CD-ROM 1 10 2011
- Wang T.-C. , Han J. -S. , Xie X.-B. , Lai M.-C. , Henein N.A. , Schwartz E. and Bryzik W. Parametric Characterization of High-Pressure Diesel Fuel Injection Systems ASME J. Engineering in Gas Turbine & Power 125 412 426 2003
- Cho , I. , Fujimoto , H. , Kuniyoshi , H. , Ha , J. et al. Similarity Law of Entrainment into Diesel Spray and Steady Spray SAE Technical Paper 900447 1990 10.4271/900447
- Moon S. , Zhang X. , Gao Y. , Wang J. , Tsujimura T. , Kurimoto N. and Nishijima Y. Near-Field Dynamics of Diesel and Biodiesel Sprays at 200-MPa Injection Pressure Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Liquid Atomization and Spray Systems, CD-ROM 1 8 2012
- Faeth , G.M , Hsiang , L.-P and Wu , P.-K. Structure and Breakup Properties of Sprays Int J. Multiphase Flow 21 Suppl. 99 127 1995
- Kastengren A.L. , Powell C.F. , Im K.-S. , Wang Y.-J. , Wang J. Measurement of Biodiesel Blend and Conventional Diesel Spray Structure Using X-Ray Radiography Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 131 0628021 0628027 2009