This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
4 th Generation Diesel Common Rail System: Realizing Ideal Structure Function for Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Diesel injection equipment is required to be more accurate and higher in pressure to meet the increasingly strict emission, fuel consumption regulations and higher engine performance. It also needs to achieve a number of requirements such as robustness against diversified market fuels, easy installation to engine, etc. DENSO has been working to develop 4th Generation Common Rail System (G4CRS) according to the following four concepts which are seemingly conflicting, since several years.
- 1Increase injection pressure from 200 MPa to 250 MPa aiming at better spray characteristics
- 2Develop a new control valve for injector to achieve zero clearance leakage and minimized switching leakage aiming at higher fuel robustness, higher fuel efficiency, smaller pump size.
- 3Locate the injector actuator and control valve near the nozzle to reduce the mass of movement aiming at higher injection responsiveness accuracy.
- 4Develop a new pump with pre-stroke control valve aiming at higher response for pressure control and less fuel deterioration.
This paper reports the G4CRS concepts, structure and performance combining high pressure up to 250 MPa as well as excellent fuel robustness and reliability. NOx and PM emission were reduced drastically and Fuel consumption was improved.
CitationMatsumoto, S., Klose, C., Schneider, J., Nakane, N. et al., "4th Generation Diesel Common Rail System: Realizing Ideal Structure Function for Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1590, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1590.
- Kondo Shigeyuki , Toyoshima Yoshio , Takayama Tateki and Yamaguchi Masaaki 200MPa Piezo Common Rail System Journal of Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan Oct 2009 122-09
- Miyaki Masahiko , Takeuchi Katsuhiko , Kojima Akikazu , Uchiyama Ken , Nakagawa Masato , Herrmann O.E. , Maassen F. , Laumen H.J. 32nd International Vienna Motor Symposium 5 6 May 2011 Fulfilling Euro6 Emission Regulations for Heavy Duty Engines without SCR-System - A Challenge to the FIE System
- Shinohara Yukihiro , Takeuchi Katsuhiko , Herrmann Olaf Erik and Laumen Hermann Josef 3000bar common rail system MTZ 2011 01 72 4 8
- Wang Mrs. Xiumei , Kikutani Mr. Takashi , Nakane Mr. Noriaki and Takeuchi Mr. Katsuhiko Development toward “Diesel Revolution” using Ultra High pressure CRS with closed-loop control system for Heavy Duty Engine FISITA world automotive congress 2010 May
- Čaika , V. , Kammerdiener , T. , and Dörr , N. Operation of Piezoelectric Common Rail Injector with Diesel and FT-Kerosene SAE Technical Paper 2007-24-0070 2007 10.4271/2007-24-0070
- Leonhard Rolf , Warga Johann , Pauer Thomas , Ruckle Markus and Schnell Matthias Solenoid Common-rail Injector for 1800 bar MTZ 2010 02 10 15
- Hardy C S , Hudson C M , Harper M S and Ainsworth D M Pressure is nothing without control: Evolution of control valve design Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE) Fuel Systems for IC Engines 14 15 March 2012 115 128
- Tanaka Akio , Bunne Satoshi , Omori Toshihiko and Yamada Koichi Injector Deposit 2011 JSAE/SAE Powertrains, F&L Technical Workshop3, TWS3-2
- Omori , T. , Tanaka , A. , Yamada , K. , and Bunne , S. Biodiesel deposit formation mechanism and improvement of Fuel Injection Equipment (FIE) SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1935 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1935
- Omori , T. , Tanaka , A. , Yamada , K. , and Bunne , S. Biodiesel Fuel Effects on Injection System and Establishment of the Evaluation Method SAE Technical Paper 2011-28-0057 2011 10.4271/2011-28-0057
- Matsumoto , S. , Yamada , K. , and Date , K. Concepts and Evolution of Injector for Common Rail System SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1753 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1753
- Queck Dirk , Herrmann Olaf Erik , Maruyama Masatoshi , Uchiyama Ken , Mashida Makoto , Kondo Shigeyuki Robust Common Rail High Pressure Pump Control Method using Pre-Stroke Control Valve for up to 3000 bar Injection Pressure HDT-Tagung:Diesel- und Benzindirekteinspritzung 27 28 November 2012