This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Influence of Fuel Properties on Particulate Number Emissions from a Direct Injection Spark Ignition Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The use of direct injection spark ignition (DISI) engines for passenger cars has increased; providing greater specific performance and lower CO₂ emissions. DISI engines, however, produce more particulate matter (PM) emissions than Port-Fuel-Injected (PFI) engines. Forthcoming European exhaust emissions legislation is addressing concerns over health effects of PM emissions. Accordingly, research into PM emission formation has increased.
A model developed by Aikawa et al., (2010) for PFI engines correlated PM number emissions with the vapor pressure and the double bond equivalent (DBE) of the components of the fuel. However there was no independent control of these parameters. This study investigates a particulate emissions index for DISI engines.
A single-cylinder optical access Spray-Guided DISI engine was used to develop a Particulate Matter Number emissions Index (PN index) - modified from the PM index using industry standard measurements - through the use of model and commercially available fuels.
Model fuels were designed using Raoult's law and UNIFAC such that the DBE and vapor pressure of the fuel mix could be varied.
Engine tests were conducted, independently varying the DBE and the vapor pressure of the fuel. PM number emissions were measured using a Cambustion DMS500, the results were analyzed alongside observations of the fuel spray to investigate the PN index.
The PN index has also been used to evaluate emissions from two commercially available EN228 fuels. The results demonstrate that the trend of the PN index is followed both with model fuels and commercial gasolines.
CitationLeach, F., Stone, R., and Richardson, D., "The Influence of Fuel Properties on Particulate Number Emissions from a Direct Injection Spark Ignition Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1558, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1558.
- Zhao , H. Overview of Gasoline Direct Injection Engines Zhao , H. Advanced direct injection combustion engine technologies and development: Gasoline and gas engines Woodhead Publishing Ltd and CRC Press 2010
- Braisher , M. , Stone , R. , and Price , P. Particle Number Emissions from a Range of European Vehicles SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0786 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0786
- Andersson , J. , Giechaskiel , B. , Muñoz-Bueno , R. , Sandbach , E. and Dilara , P. Particle Measurement Programme (PMP) Light-duty Inter-laboratory Correlation Exercise (ILCE_LD) Final Report European Commission Joint Research Centre Institute for Environment and Sustainability 2007
- Eastwood , P. Particulate Emissions from Vehicles SAE International Warrendale, PA 978-0-7680-2060-1 2008
- Commission Regulation 692/2008, OJ L 199 of 18.7.2008 130
- Aikawa , K. , Sakurai , T. , and Jetter , J. Development of a Predictive Model for Gasoline Vehicle Particulate Matter Emissions SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 3 2 610 622 2010 10.4271/2010-01-2115
- Sandford , M. , Page , G. , and Crawford , P. The All New AJV8 SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1060 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1060
- Peckham , M. , Finch , A. , Campbell , B. , Price , P. et al. Study of Particle Number Emissions from a Turbocharged Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) Engine Including Data from a Fast-Response Particle Size Spectrometer SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1224 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1224
- Reavell , K. , Hands , T. , and Collings , N. A Fast Response Particulate Spectrometer for Combustion Aerosols SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2714 2002 10.4271/2002-01-2714
- Symonds , J.P.R. , Price , P. and Stone , C.R. Density of Particles Emitted from a Gasoline Direct Injection Engine European Aerosol ConferenceThessaloniki 2008
- Braisher , M. Particulate Matter Emissions Measurements from Engines and Vehicles DPhil Thesis Engineering Science (University of Oxford Oxford 2010
- Cheng , W.K. , Summers , T. and Collings , N. The fast-response flame ionization detector Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 1998 24 2 89 124
- Reid , R.C. , Prausnitz , J.M. and Poling , B.E. The properties of gases and liquids McGraw-Hill New York; London 1987
- Vidal , J. Thermodynamics: Applications in Chemical Engineering and the Petroleum Industry Editions OPHRYS 2003
- Fredenslund , A. and Gmehling Vapor-Liquid equilibrium using UNIFAC a group-contribution method Elsevier North-Holland Inc. 1977
- EN228 2008 Automotive fuels Unleaded petrol. Requirements and test methods 2008
- EN 13016 2007 Liquid petroleum products. Vapour pressure. Determination of air saturated vapour pressure (ASVP) and calculated dry vapour pressure equivalent (DVPE)
- Atkins , P.W. Physical Chemistry Oxford University Press 1994
- Abrams , D.S. and Prausnitz , J.M. Statistical thermodynamics of liquid mixtures: A new expression for the excess Gibbs energy of partly or completely miscible systems AIChE Journal 1975 21 1 116 128
- Poling , B.E. , Reid , R.C. , Prausnitz , J.M. and O'Connell , J.P. The properties of gases and liquids McGraw- Hill New York; London 2001