This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Charge Capacity Versus Charge Time in CC-CV and Pulse Charging of Li-Ion Batteries
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Due to their high energy density and low self-discharge rates, lithium-ion batteries are becoming the favored solution for portable electronic devices and electric vehicles. Lithium-Ion batteries require special charging methods that must conform to the battery cells' power limits. Many different charging methods are currently used, some of these methods yield shorter charging times while others yield more charge capacity. This paper compares the constant-current constant-voltage charging method against the time pulsed charging method. Charge capacity, charge time, and cell temperature variations are contrasted. The results allow designers to choose between these two methods and select their parameters to meet the charging needs of various applications.
CitationAbousleiman, R., Al-Refai, A., and Rawashdeh, O., "Charge Capacity Versus Charge Time in CC-CV and Pulse Charging of Li-Ion Batteries," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1546, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1546.
- Nagasubramanian G , Jungst R.G Energy and power characteristics of lithium-ion cells Journal of Power Sources 72 2 21 April 1998 189 193 0378-7753 10.1016/S0378-7753(97)02712-2
- Carcone , J.A. Performance of lithium-ion battery systems WESCON/94. ‘Idea/Microelectronics’. Conference Record 242 248 27 29 Sep 1994 10.1109/WESCON.1994.403593
- Carter , B. , Matsumoto , J. , Prater , A. , Smith , D. Lithium ion battery performance and charge control Energy Conversion Engineering Conference, 1996. IECEC 96., Proceedings of the 31st Intersociety 1 363 368 1 11 16 Aug 1996 10.1109/IECEC.1996.552905
- Oman , H. Battery News from the Intersociety Energy Conversion Engineering Conference Aerospace and Electronic Systems Magazine, IEEE 13 3 23 31 March 1998 10.1109/MAES.1998.659860
- Isaacson , M.J. , Hollandsworth , R.P. , Giampaoli , P.J. , Linkowsky , F.A. , Salim , A. , Teofilo , V.L. Advanced lithium ion battery charger Battery Conference on Applications and Advances, 2000. The Fifteenth Annual 193 198 11 14 Jan. 2000 10.1109/BCAA.2000.838403
- McDowall J Understanding Lithium-Ion Technology Proceedings of Battcon 2008
- McDowall , J. , Biensan , P. , Broussely , M. Industrial lithium ion battery safety - What are the tradeoffs? Telecommunications Energy Conference, 2007. INTELEC 2007. 29th International 701 707 Sept. 30 2007 Oct. 4 2007 10.1109/INTLEC.2007.4448871
- McDowall , J. , Belle , M. Designing to meet GR-3150 - avoiding the pitfalls of lithium-ion battery development Telecommunications Energy Conference, 2008. INTELEC 2008. IEEE 30th International 1 8 14 18 Sept. 2008 10.1109/INTLEC.2008.4664070
- Al-Refai , A. , Abousleiman , R. , Rawashdeh , O. A Programmable Charger for Monitoring and Control of Multi-Cell Lithium-Ion Batteries Aerospace and Electronics Conference (NAECON), Proceedings of the 2012 IEEE National July 25 27 2012
- Cope , R.C. ; Podrazhansky , Y. The art of battery charging Battery Conference on Applications and Advances, 1999. The Fourteenth Annual 233 235 1999 10.1109/BCAA.1999.795996
- Chen Min ; Rincon-Mora , G.A. Accurate, Compact, and Power-Efficient Li-Ion Battery Charger Circuit Circuits and Systems II: Express Briefs, IEEE Transactions on 53 11 1180 1184 Nov. 2006 10.1109/TCSII.2006.883220
- David , P. , and Stefano , D. Survey of lithium-ion battery performance for potential use in NASA mission Proc. the 32nd Intersociety Energy Conversion Eng. Conf Honolulu, Hawaii July 1997 39 41
- Lopez , J. , Gonzalez , M. , Viera , J.C. , Blanco , C. Fast-charge in lithium-ion batteries for portable applications Telecommunications Energy Conference, 2004. INTELEC 2004. 26th Annual International 19 24 19 23 Sept. 2004 10.1109/INTLEC.2004.1401439
- Al-Hallaj Said , Selman J.R Thermal modeling of secondary lithium batteries for electric vehicle/hybrid electric vehicle applications Journal of Power Sources 110 2 22 August 2002 341 348 0378-7753 10.1016/S0378-7753(02)00196-9
- Sato Noboru Thermal behavior analysis of lithium-ion batteries for electric and hybrid vehicles Journal of Power Sources 99 1-2 August 2001 70 77 0378-7753 10.1016/S0378-7753(01)00478-5