This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Li-Ion Battery SoC Estimation Using a Bayesian Tracker
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Hybrid, plug-in hybrid, and electric vehicles have enthusiastically embraced rechargeable Li-ion batteries as their primary/supplemental power source of choice. Because the state of charge (SoC) of a battery indicates available remaining energy, the battery management system of these vehicles must estimate the SoC accurately. To estimate the SoC of Li-ion batteries, we derive a normalized state-space model based on Li-ion electrochemistry and apply a Bayesian algorithm. The Bayesian algorithm is obtained by modifying Potter's squareroot filter and named the Potter SoC tracker (PST) in this paper. We test the PST in challenging test cases including high-rate charge/discharge cycles with outlier cell voltage measurements. The simulation results reveal that the PST can estimate the SoC with accuracy above 95% without experiencing divergence.
CitationArasaratnam, I., Ahmed, R., El-Sayed, M., Tjong, J. et al., "Li-Ion Battery SoC Estimation Using a Bayesian Tracker," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1530, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1530.
- Arasaratnam, I., Haykin, S., and Hurd, T., “Cubature Kalman Filtering for Continuous-Discrete Systems: Theory and Simulations,” IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, 58(10), pp. 4977-4993, Oct. 2010.
- Bard, AJ., and Faulkner, LR., “Electrochemical Methods: Fundamentals and Applications,” Russian J. Electrochemistry, Vol. 38, 2002.
- Bar Shalom, Y., Li, X. R. and Kirubarajan, T., Estimation with Applications to Tracking and Navigation, NY: Wiley & Sons, 2001.
- Blood, Paul J., and Sotiropoulos, S., “An electrochemical technique for state of charge (SOC) probing of positive leadacid battery plates.” J. power sources, vol. 110, no. 1, 2002.
- Born, GH., “Potter Square Root Filter”, ASEN 5070 Course Handout, University of Colorado at Boulder, http://ccar.colorado.edu/ASEN5070/handouts.htm, viewed Sept. 16, 2012.
- Buchmann, I., “Does the Battery Fuel Gauge Lie? Why the Battery State-of-charge cannot be measured accurately,” http://www.buchmann.ca, Viewed Sept. 2012.
- Domenico, D., Giovanni, F., and Stefanopoulou, A., “Lithium-ion battery state of charge estimation with a Kalman filter based on an electrochemical model,” IEEE Int'l Conf. in Control Applications, CCA 2008.
- Doyle, M., Fuller, T., Newman, J., “Modeling of galvanostatic charge and discharge of the lithium/polymer/insertion cell,” J. Electrochemical Soc., vol. 140, pp. 1526-1533, 1993.
- Freedomcar battery test manual for power-assist hybrid elecric veicles, DOE/ID-11069, 2003.
- Charkhgard, M., and Farrokhi M., “State-of-Charge Estimation for Lithium-Ion Batteries Using Neural Networks and EKF,” IEEE Trans. Industrial Electronics, Vol. 57, 2010.
- Fuller, T., Doyle, M., and Newman, J., “Simulation and optimization of the dual lithium ion insertion cell,”, J. Electrochemical Soc., vol. 141, pp. 1-10, 1994.
- Grewal, MS., & Andrews, AP., Kalman Filtering Theory and Practice Using MATLAB, Third Edition, Wiley & Sons, 2008.
- Hsieh, GC., Chen, LR., and Huang, KS., “Fuzzycontrolled li-ion battery charge system with active state-of-charge controller,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. vol. 48, pp. 585-593, 2001.
- Huet, F., “A review of impedance measurements for determination of state- of-charge or state-of-health of secondary batteries,”, J. Power Sources, Vols. vol. 70, no. 1, pp. 59-69, 1998.
- Hu, X., Li, S., Peng, H., “A comparative study of equivalent circuit models for Li-ion batteries” J. Power Sources, pp. 3921-3932, 2011.
- Newman, J., and Tiedemann, W., “Porous-electrode theory with battery applications,” AIChE Journal, Vol. 21, pp. 25-41, 1975.
- Pattipati, B., Sankavaram, C., Pattipati, KR., “System Identification and estimation framework for pivotal automotive battery management system charateristics”, IEEE Trans. Syst. Man Cybern, pp. 869-884, 2011.
- Plett, G., “Extended Kalman filtering for battery management systems of LiPB-based HEV battery packs,” J. Power Sources, pp. 252-261, 2004.
- Pop, V., Bergveld, HJ., het Veld, JO., Regtien, PL., Danilov, D., & Notten, PL, “Modeling battery behavior foraccurate state-of-charge indication,” J. Electrochem. Soc., 2006
- Simon, D., Optimal State Estimation:Kalman, H∞, and Nonlinear Approaches, Wiley, 2006.
- Smith, K. and Wang, CY., “Solid-state diffusion limitations on pulse operation of a lithium-ion cell for hybrid electric vehicles”, J. Power Sources, 161:628-639, 2006.
- Tarascon, JM. and Guyomard, D., “Li Metal-Free Rechargeable Batteries Based on Li+xMn2O4 Cathodes (0 × 1) and Carbon Anodes”, J. Electrochemical Society, Vol. 138, pp. 2864-2868, 1991.
- Verbrugge, MW., and Koch, BJ., “Electrochemical analysis of lithiated graphite anodes”, J. Electrochem. Soc., 150, 2003.
- Verbrugge, MW, and Tate, E., “Adaptive state of charge algorithm for nickel metal hydride batteries including hysteresis phenomena”, J. Power Sources, pp. 236-249, 2004.
- Wang, CY., Gu, WB., and Liaw, BY., “Micro-Macroscopic Coupled Modeling of Batteries and Fuel Cells Part:I. Model Development.”, J. Electrochemical Society, vol. 145, no. 10, 1998.
- Wei, KX., and Chen, QY., “Battery SOC Estimation based on Multi-model Adaptive Kalman Filter,” Advanced Materials Research, pp. 2211-2215, 2012.