This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Connecting Vehicle Requirements with Battery Design and Testing: Linking Drive Cycles with Material Properties
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Traditional testing approaches for fundamental battery materials focus on highly artificial test profiles, for example constant current (CC) or constant voltage (CV) testing. Additionally, the currents used for capacity and cycle tests are often very low. These profiles are not indicative of the types of current/voltage profiles that the battery will experience during actual vehicle operation. As a result, these simple tests may fail to sufficiently elicit the reduction in performance and failure modes that occur during more dynamic cycling.
In this paper, we outline an approach in which vehicle-level modeling is applied to regulatory drive cycles in order to derive power vs. time requirements for an energy storage system. These requirements are used to identify segments of the regulatory drive cycles that present significant challenges to the battery. Finally, the most stressing portions of the drive cycle are used to determine limiting physical characteristics of batteries. This approach allows us to accelerate materials testing and understand the potential benefits of novel materials when used on regulatory and other drive cycles.
CitationSisk, B., Hallac, P., Zhang, Q., and Zhang, Z., "Connecting Vehicle Requirements with Battery Design and Testing: Linking Drive Cycles with Material Properties," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1523, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1523.
- Izadi-Njafabodi , A. Energy Smart Technologies Insight Cal Q3 2011 Bloomberg 2011
- Pike Research Electric Vehicle Batteries Pike Research 2011
- Smith , K. and Wang , C-Y. Solid-state diffusion limitations on pulse operation of a lithium on cell for hybrid electric vehicles Journal of Power Sources 161 2006 628 639
- Smith , K.A. , Rahn , C.D. , and Wang , C.Y. Model-Based Electrochemical Estimation and Constraint Management for Pulse Operation ofLithium Ion Batteries IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 18 3 2010 654 663
- Stewart , S.G. , Srinivasan , V. , Newman , J. Modeling the performance of lithium-ion batteries and capacitors during hybrid-electric-vehicle operation J. Electrochemical Society 155 9 2008 A664 A671
- Huria , T. , Ceraolo , M. et al. High fidelity electrical model with thermal dependence for characterization and simulation of high power lithium battery cells Proc. Electric Vehicle Conference (IEVC), 2012 IEEE International 2012 1 8
- Bashash , S. , Moura S. et al. Plug-in hybrid electric vehicle charge pattern optimization for energy cost and battery longevity Journal of Power Sources 196 2011 541 549
- Halbach , S. , Sharer , P. , Pagerit , S. , Rousseau , A. et al. Model Architecture, Methods, and Interfaces for Efficient Math-Based Design and Simulation of Automotive Control Systems SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0241 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0241
- Guo , M. , Sikha , G. , and White , R.E Journal of the Electrochemical Society 158 2011 A122 A132
- Wu , S-L. et al. High Rate Capability of Li(Ni 1/3 Mn 1/3 Co 1/3 )O 2 Electrode for Li-ion Batteries Journal of the Electrochemistry Society 159 4 2012 A438 A444
- Han , B.C. , Van der ven , A. et al. Electrochemical modeling of intercalation processes with phase field models Electrochimica Acta 49 2004 4691 4699
- Smith , K. , Wang , C.-Y. Power and thermal characterization of a lithium-ion batterypack for hybrid-electric vehicles Journal of Power Sources 160 2006 662 673
- Doyle , M. , Fuller T. , and Newman , J. Journal of the Electrochemical Society 140 1993 1526 1533
- Kang , K. , Ceder , G. Factors that affect Li mobility in layered lithium transition metal oxides Phys. Rev. B 74 2006
- Stevens , D.A. and Dahn , J.R. The Mechanisms of Lithium and Sodium Insertion in Carbon J. Electrochemical Society 148 8 2001 A803 A811
- Persson , K. , Hinuma , Y. et al. Thermodynamic and kinetic properties of the Li-graphite system from first principles calculations Phys. Rev. B 82 2010
- Van der Ven , A. , Ceder , G. Lithium diffusion in layered Li x CoO 2 Electrochemical and Solid State Letters 3 7 2000 301 304
- Whittingham , M.S. Lithium Batteries and Cathode Materials Chem Rev 104 2004 4271 4301