This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Measurement and Visualization of R134a Distribution in the Vertical Header of the Microchannel Heat Exchanger
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Distribution of R134a in four different vertical headers of microchannel heat exchanger was investigated experimentally. R134a was provided into the header by the microchannel tubes (5 or 10 tubes) in the bottom pass. It left the header through the microchannel tubes (5 or 10 tubes) in the top pass representing the upward flow in the heat pump mode of the reversible systems. The inlet quality was varied from 0.2 to 0.8, and the inlet mass flow rate was from 1.5 to 4.5 kg/h per microchannel tube. Among the test conditions, the aluminum and transparent headers show similar results: refrigerant distribution is better when reducing quality at the same mass flow rate and when increasing mass flow rate at the same quality. Increasing the tubes protrusion and the number of the microchannel tubes usually improve the distribution due to the increase in mass flux. Based on the visualization, churn and separated flow regimes are identified. The churn flow usually has better distribution than the separated flow since the two-phase mixture is more homogeneous. The distribution is better at high mass flux in the header because the higher momentum liquid can be supplied to the top exit tubes.
CitationZou, Y. and Hrnjak, P., "Measurement and Visualization of R134a Distribution in the Vertical Header of the Microchannel Heat Exchanger," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1498, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1498.
- Kulkarni , T. , Bullard , C.W. , Cho , K. Header design tradeoffs in microchannel evaporators Applied Thermal Engineering 24 759 776 2004
- Byun , H.W. , Kim , N.H. Refrigerant distribution in a parallel flow heat exchanger having vertical headers and heated horizontal tubes Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science 35 920 930 2011
- Zou , Y. , Tuo , H. , Hrnjak , P.S. Two-phase refrigerant maldistribution in the vertical header and its effect on the heat exchanger performance as evaporator in the heat pump mode ASME 2012 International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition 2012
- Hrnjak , P.S. Developing Adiabatic Two Phase Flow in Headers - Distribution Issue in Parallel Flow Microchannel Heat Exchangers Heat Transfer Engineering 25 3 61 68 2004
- Webb , R.L. , Chung , K. Two-phase flow distribution to tubes of parallel flow air-cooled heat exchangers Heat Transfer Engineering 26 4 3 18 2005
- Fei , P. , Cantrak , D. , and Hrnjak , P. Refrigerant Distribution in the Inlet Header of Plate Evaporators SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0948 2002 10.4271/2002-01-0948
- Vist , S. , Pettersen , J. Two-phase flow distribution in compact heat exchanger manifolds Experimental Thermal Fluid Science 28 209 215 2004
- Bowers , C.D. , Newell , T.A. , Hrnjak , P.S. Experimental Investigation of Two-Phase Refrigerant Distribution in a Microchannel Manifold Technical Report TR-245 Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Center, Univ. Illinois Urbana-Champaign 2006
- Hwang , Y. , Jin , D.H. , Radermacher , R. Refrigerant distribution in minichannel evaporator manifolds HVAC&R Research 13 4 543 555 2007
- Watanabe , M. , Katsuta , M. , and Nagata , K. General characteristics of two-phase flow distribution in a multipass tube Heat Transfer-Japanese Research 24 32 44 1995
- Song , S. , Bullard , C.W. , Hrnjak , P.S. Frost deposition and refrigerant distribution in microchannel heat exchangers ASHRAE Transactions 108 2 944 953 2002
- Cho , H. , Cho , K. Mass flow rate distribution and phase separation of R-22 in multi-microchannel tubes under adiabatic condition Microscale Thermophysical Engineering 8 2 129 139 2004
- Lee , J.K. Two-phase flow behavior inside a header connected to multiple parallel channels Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science 33 195 202 2009
- Zou , Y. , Hrnjak , P.S. Measurement and Visualization of R410A Distribution in the Vertical Header of the Microchannel Heat Exchanger 14 th International Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Conference Purdue 2012
- Hewitt , G.F. , Roberts , D.N. Studies of two-phase flow patterns by simultaneous X-ray and flash photography AERE-M 2159 HMSO 1969