This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optimization of Gear Shifting and Torque Split for Improved Fuel Efficiency and Drivability of HEVs
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Decreasing fuel consumption and emissions in automobiles has been an active research topic in recent years. Vehicles with alternative powertrain systems, especially hybrid-electric vehicles (HEVs), have shown significant reduction in fuel consumption and emissions, and therefore have attracted many researchers to this field. The focus is usually on the development of optimal power management control methods. For parallel HEVs, the primary control variable is the torque split between the internal combustion engine and the electric motor. More advanced approaches also simultaneously search for the optimal gear number and engine on/off state, which can further reduce the fuel consumption but also complicate the problem.
In the literature on HEVs, the emphasis is typically only on fuel efficiency and sometimes the emissions. The drivability of the vehicle is usually not considered during the optimization process. Furthermore, gearbox models do not usually reflect the real behavior of vehicle due to over simplification in vehicle models.
This paper studies the energy management problem of parallel HEVs. Fuel consumption and drivability are optimized through an integrated optimization process by searching optimal torque split and gear number simultaneously. Intelligent filters are designed to stabilize the values of gear number to avoid frequent oscillation. The method is suitable for real-time implementation and has been tested in the simulation software Autonomie.
CitationKhodabakhshian, M., Feng, L., and Wikander, J., "Optimization of Gear Shifting and Torque Split for Improved Fuel Efficiency and Drivability of HEVs," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1461, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1461.
- Gessat , J. Electrically Powered Hydraulic Steering Systems for Light Commercial Vehicles SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-4197 2007 10.4271/2007-01-4197
- Sciarretta , A. and Guzzella , L. Control of Hybrid Electric Vehicles IEEE Control Systems Magazine 27 2 April 2007 60 70 10.1109/MCS.2007.338280
- Opila , D. F. , Aswani , D. , McGee , R. , Cook , J. A. , and Grizzle , J.W. Incorporating Drivability Metrics into Optimal Energy Management Strategies for Hybrid Vehicles 2008 47th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control 2008 4382 4389 10.1109/CDC.2008.4738731
- Wei , X. Modeling and Control of a Hybrid Electric Drivetrain for Optimum Fuel Economy, Performance and Driveability PhD thesis Mechanical Engineering Department, The Ohio State University 2004
- Pisu , P. , Koprubasi , K. , and Rizzoni , G. Energy Management and Drivability Control Problems for Hybrid Electric Vehicles Proceedings of the 44th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control 1824 1830 IEEE 2005 10.1109/CDC.2005.1582425
- Johnson , V. , Wipke , K. , and Rausen , D. HEV Control Strategy for Real-Time Optimization of Fuel Economy and Emissions SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1543 2000 10.4271/2000-01-1543
- Everett , R. Measuring Vehicle Driveability SAE Technical Paper 710137 1971 10.4271/710137
- List , H. and Schoeggl , P. Objective Evaluation of Vehicle Driveability SAE Technical Paper 980204 1998 10.4271/980204
- Dorey , R. and Martin , E. Vehicle Driveability - The Development of an Objective Methodology SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1326 2000 10.4271/2000-01-1326
- Dorey , R. and Holmes , C. Vehicle Driveability - Its Characterisation and Measurement SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0949 1999 10.4271/1999-01-0949
- Wicke , V. , Brace , C. J. , Deacon , M. , and Vaughan N. D. Preliminary Results from Driveability Investigations of Vehicles with Continuously Variable Transmissions 5 9 14 Proc. CVT' 99 - International Congress on Continuously Variable Power Transmission 1999
- Wicke , V. , Brace , C. , and Vaughan , N. The Potential for Simulation of Driveability of CVT Vehicles SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0830 2000 10.4271/2000-01-0830
- Wei , X. and Rizzoni , G. Objective Metrics of Fuel Economy, Performance and Driveability - A Review SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1338 2004 10.4271/2004-01-1338
- Wei , X. , Pisu , P. , Rizzoni , G. , Yurkovich , S. Dynamic Modeling of a Hybrid Electric Drivetrain for Fuel economy, Performance and Driveability Evaluations ASME Conf. Proc. 2003 443 2003 10.1115/IMECE2003-42548
- Zhang , J. , LU , X. , Wang , L. , Chen , S. et al. A Study on the Drivability of Hybrid Electric Vehicle SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1572 2008 10.4271/2008-01-1572
- Opila , D. F. , Wang , X. , McGee , R. , Gillespie , R. B. , Cook , J. A. , and Grizzle , J. W. An Energy Management Controller to Optimally Trade Off Fuel Economy and Drivability for Hybrid Vehicles IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 20 6 November 2012 1490 1505 10.1109/TCST.2011.2168820
- Volvo truck http://www.volvotrucks.com/trucks/na/enus/products/engines/ishift/pages/ishift_ILF.aspxTitle Sep. 2012
- Autonomie http://www.autonomie.net/ Sep. 2012
- Fauvel , C. , Napal , V. , and Rousseau , A. Medium and Heavy Duty Hybrid Electric Vehicle Sizing to Maximize Fuel Consumption Displacement on Real World Drive Cycles EVS 26 2012
- Delorme , A. , Karbowski , D. , Vijayagopal , R. , Rousseau , A. , and Ave , S. C. Fuel Consumption Potential of Medium- and Heavy-Duty Applications EVS 25 2010
- Fulem , J. ICCT Evaluation of Vehicle Simulation Tools Summary Report 2009 www.theicct.org/evaluation-vehicle-simulation-tools
- Kuhler , M. and Karstens , D. Improved Driving Cycle for Testing Automotive Exhaust Emissions SAE Technical Paper 780650 1978 10.4271/780650
- Sciarretta , A. , Back , M. , and Guzzella , L. Optimal Control of Parallel Hybrid Electric Vehicles IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 12 3 May 2004 352 363 10.1109/TCST.2004.824312
- Paganelli , G. General Supervisory Control Policy for the Energy Optimization of Charge-sustaining Hybrid Electric Vehicles JSAE Review 22 4 October 2001 511 518 10.1016/S0389-4304(01)00138-2
- Hofman , T. , Steinbuch , M. , Van Druten , R. , and Serrarens , A. Rule-based Energy Management Strategies for Hybrid Vehicles International Journal of Electric and Hybrid Vehicles 1 1 2007 71 10.1504/IJEHV.2007.014448
- Marano , V. , Tulpule , P. , Stockar , S. , Onori , S. et al. Comparative study of different control strategies for Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicles SAE Technical Paper 2009-24-0071 2009 10.4271/2009-24-0071
- Musardo , C. , Rizzoni , G. , Guezennec , Y. , and Staccia , B. A-ECMS: An Adaptive Algorithm for Hybrid Electric Vehicle Energy Management European Journal of Control 11 4-5 October 31 2005 509 524 10.3166/ejc.11.509-524
- Johannesson , L. , Pettersson , S. , and Egardt , B. Predictive Energy Management of a 4QT Series-parallel Hybrid Electric Bus Control Engineering Practice 17 12 December 2009 1440 1453 10.1016/j.conengprac.2009.07.004