This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Accounting for the Variation of Driver Aggression in the Simulation of Conventional and Advanced Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Hybrid electric vehicles, plug-in hybrid electric vehicles, and battery electric vehicles offer the potential to reduce both oil imports and greenhouse gases, as well as to offer a financial benefit to the driver. However, assessing these potential benefits is complicated by several factors, including the driving habits of the operator. We focus on driver aggression, i.e., the level of acceleration and velocity characteristic of travel, to (1) assess its variation within large, real-world drive datasets, (2) quantify its effect on both vehicle efficiency and economics for multiple vehicle types, (3) compare these results to those of standard drive cycles commonly used in the industry, and (4) create a representative drive cycle for future analyses where standard drive cycles are lacking.
CitationNeubauer, J. and Wood, E., "Accounting for the Variation of Driver Aggression in the Simulation of Conventional and Advanced Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1453, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1453.
- Neubauer , J. ; Wood , E. ; and Brooker , A. Sensitivity of battery electric vehicle economics to drive patterns, vehicle range, and charge strategies Journal of Power Sources 2012 209 269 277
- Neubauer , J. ; Wood , E. ; and Brooker , A. Sensitivity of plug-in hybrid electric vehicle economics to drive patterns, electric range, energy management, and charge strategies Journal of Power Sources 2013 in press
- Traffic Choices Study - Summary Report Puget Sound Regional Council April 2008
- Secure Transportation Data Project National Renewable Energy Laboratory http://www.nrel.gov/vehiclesandfuels/secure_transportation_d ata.html August 28 2012
- Duran , A. and Earleywine , M. GPS Data Filtration Method for Drive Cycle Analysis Applications SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0743 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0743
- O'Keefe , M. , Simpson , A. , Kelly , K. , and Pedersen , D. Duty Cycle Characterization and Evaluation Towards Heavy Hybrid Vehicle Applications SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0302 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0302
- Markel , T. ; Brooker , A. ; Hendricks , T. ; Johnson , V. ; Kelly , K. ; Kramer , B. ; O'Keefe , M. ; Sprik , S. ; and Wipke , K. ADVISOR: A Systems Analysis Tool for Advanced Vehicle Modeling Journal of Power Sources 2002 110 255 266
- Revisions and Additions to Motor Vehicle Fuel Economy Label; Final Rule Washington, D.C. Federal Register http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2011-07- 06/html/2011-14291.htm Aug 29 2012
- Hybrid Electric Vehicles Idaho National Laboratory http://avt.inl.gov/hev.shtml Sept 5 2012
- Analysis Tool Generates Custom Vehicle Drive Cycles Based on Real-World Data National Renewable Energy Laboratory http://www.nrel.gov/vehiclesandfuels/news/2011/1593.html Sept 5 2012