This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Engine Control Unit Modeling with Engine Feature C Code for HEV Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Engine control unit (ECU) modeling using engine feature C code is an increasingly important part of new vehicle analysis and development tools. The application areas of feature based ECU models are numerous: a) cold vehicle fuel economy (FE) prediction required for recently introduced 5-cycle certification; b) vehicle thermal modeling; c) evaporative (purge) systems design; d) model-in-the-loop/software-in-the-loop (MIL/SIL) vehicle control development and calibration. The modeling method presented in the paper embeds production C-code directly into Simulink at a feature level using an S-Function wrapper. A collection of features critical to accurate engine behavior prediction are compiled individually and integrated according to the newly developed Engine Control Model Architecture (ECMA). Custom MATLAB script based tools enable efficient model construction. Additionally, methods for full and partial engine calibration updates are available at S-Function build time and model run-time. The method is illustrated by an example of the 2013 Fusion Hybrid ECU model developed for 5-cycle fuel economy analysis and other control applications.
CitationZaremba, A., Lechowicz, P., and Jennings, M., "Engine Control Unit Modeling with Engine Feature C Code for HEV Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1451, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1451.
- Zaremba , A. and Jennings , M. Purge Modeling for New Propulsion System Technology Applications SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 998 1006 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0858
- Magner , S. , Cooper , S. , and Jankovic , M. Engine Control for Multiple Combustion Optimization Devices 2006
- Rask , E. and Sellnau , M. Simulation-Based Engine Calibration: Tools, Techniques, and Applications SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1264 2004 10.4271/2004-01-1264
- Che , J. , Jennings , M. , and Zaremba , A. Vehicle System Modeling for Computer-Aided Chassis Control Development SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1432 2005 10.4271/2005-01-1432
- How S-Functions work Overview of S-functions, Simulink documentation, Mathworks
- Vision Calibration & Data Acquisition Software ATI Vision Software Data Sheet 2012