This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study of Resin Overlay Bearing Material for Recent Automotive Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
With increased awareness of environmental issues and regulations, developments for recent automotive engines are progressing towards engines with low fuel consumption. Due to these changes, automotive engine bearings are increasingly used in harsher environments, with higher loading and corresponding wear.
From this background, resin overlays, where solid lubricant is dispersed in a resin binder, are being developed. Resin overlays show excellent sliding properties under boundary lubrication conditions, and are known to have superior wear and fatigue resistance compared with conventional aluminium based bearings.
However, while conventional resin overlay bearings display excellent sliding properties, they tend to have inferior seizure resistance compared to Al-Sn-Si alloy bearings.
In this study, by optimizing the strength of the resin overlay layer with addition of calcium carbonate particles, a resin overlay with equal wear resistance but improved seizure resistance was developed. The performance of the developed resin overlay bearings was confirmed with rig tests and engine bench tests.
- Hiroki Kobayakawa - Daido Metal Co., Ltd.
- Hideo Tsuji - Daido Metal Co., Ltd.
- Naohisa Kawakami - Daido Metal Co., Ltd.
- Colin McAleese - Daido Metal Co., Ltd.
- Hiromitsu Katsuki - Daido Metal Co., Ltd.
- Kenta Kato - Daido Metal Co., Ltd.
- Hiroki Kobayakawa - Daido Metal Co Ltd
- Hideo Tsuji - Daido Metal Co Ltd
- Naohisa Kawakami - Daido Metal Co Ltd
- Colin McAleese - Daido Metal Co Ltd
- Hiromitsu Katsuki - Daido Metal Co Ltd
- Kenta Kato - Daido Metal Co Ltd
CitationKobayakawa, H., Tsuji, H., Kawakami, N., McAleese, C. et al., "A Study of Resin Overlay Bearing Material for Recent Automotive Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1394, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1394.
- Tanaka , T. , Naka , I. , Abe , T. , Ono , A. et al. Studies on Lead-free Resin Overlay for Engine Bearings SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1104 2006 10.4271/2006-01-1104
- Kawagoe , K. , Kanayama , H. , Desaki , T. , and Fuwa , Y. New Conceptual Lead Free Overlays Consisted of Solid Lubricant for Internal Combustion Engine Bearings SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0244 2003 10.4271/2003-01-0244
- Kawagoe , K. et al. Proceedings of JAST Tribology Conference 2001 Tokyo 315 316 (E12) 2001
- Nishiyama , I. Evaluating Adhesion of Thin Film with Surface and Interfacial Cutting Analysis System (SAICAS) Hyoumen Gijutsu 58 5 42 45 2007
- Katsuki , H. et al. Mixed-Boundary Lubrication Characteristics of Plain Bearing Materials - Ball on Disk Test Under Constant Relative Speed for Variable Entrainment Velocity Proceedings of JAST Tribology Conference 2007 93-94 B10 2007
- Abe , H. et al. Engineering Ceramics Gihoudou Publication Co. Ltd. Tokyo 1984