This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Cost-Driven Method for Design Optimization Using Validated Local Domains
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Design optimization often relies on computational models, which are subjected to a validation process to ensure their accuracy. Because validation of computer models in the entire design space can be costly, we have previously proposed an approach where design optimization and model validation, are concurrently performed using a sequential approach with variable-size local domains. We used test data and statistical bootstrap methods to size each local domain where the prediction model is considered validated and where design optimization is performed. The method proceeds iteratively until the optimum design is obtained. This method however, requires test data to be available in each local domain along the optimization path. In this paper, we refine our methodology by using polynomial regression to predict the size and shape of a local domain at some steps along the optimization process without using test data. In doing so, the proposed method becomes less costly because it reduces the number of required tests.
|Journal Article||A Variable-Size Local Domain Approach to Computer Model Validation in Design Optimization|
|Technical Paper||Acoustical Optimization Using Quasi-Monte Carlo Methods and SEA Modeling|
CitationDrignei, D., Mourelatos, Z., Pandey, V., Baseski, I. et al., "A Cost-Driven Method for Design Optimization Using Validated Local Domains," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1385, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1385.
- Dowding , K.J. , Pilch , M. and Hills , R.G. 2008 Formulation of the Thermal Problem Comput. Methods Appl. Mech. Engrg. 197 2385 2389
- Drignei , D. , Forest , C. and Nychka , D. 2008 Parameter Estimation for Computationally Intensive Nonlinear Regression with an Application to Climate Modeling Annals of Applied Statistics 2 1217 1230
- Drignei , D. , Mourelatos , Z. P. , Kokkolaras , M. and Pandey , V. 2012 A Variable-size Local Domain Approach for Increased Design Confidence in Simulation-based Optimization Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization 46 1 83 92 10.1007/s00158-011-0731-y
- Drignei , D. , Mourelatos , Z. P. , Kokkolaras , M. and Pandey , V. 2012 Concurrent Design Optimization and Calibration-Based Validation Using Local Domains Sized by Bootstrapping ASME Journal of Mechanical Design 134 10 100910
- Higgins , J. J. 2003 Introduction to Modern Nonparametric Statistics Duxbury Press
- Li , J. , Mourelatos , Z.P. , Kokkolaras , M. , Papalambros , P. and Gorsich , D. 2010 Validating Designs through Sequential Simulation-Based Optimization Proceedings of the ASME 2010 IDETC/CIE Montreal, Quebec, Canada DETC2010-28431
- Schervish , M. J. 1995 Theory of Statistics Springer