This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Exhaust Gas Aftertreatment for Lean Gasoline Direct Injection Engines - Potential for Future Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Future emission standards will require further reduction of harmful gaseous emissions such as HC, CO and NOx as well as consideration for greenhouse gas emissions such as CO₂. Gasoline engines with lean combustion spray-guided direct fuel injection in conjunction with turbocharging have a very high potential for fuel savings. The main challenge for stratified lean GDI aftertreatment systems is the development of a catalyst system to fulfill the emission legislation requirements under low exhaust temperature operating conditions with efficient use of precious metals. In addition to the very stringent emission legislation another challenge for the introduction of lean gasoline engines in North America is the higher sulfur content of the fuel compared to Europe.
In this paper exhaust gas aftertreatment requirements for stratified gasoline direct injection engines will be discussed and the latest advances in catalyst and system development will be shown. With a newly developed three-way nitrogen oxide storage catalyst (TWNSC) mounted close-coupled to the engine and an improved NOx storage catalyst in the underfloor of the vehicle, the operating range for lean combustion can be significantly increased and further potential for minimizing CO₂ emissions can be realized. This new concept provides the basis for exhaust gas aftertreatment with substantially improved efficiency in vehicles with gasoline engines operated with a lean fuel mixture.
- Rolf Wunsch - Daimler AG, Sindelfingen, Germany
- Christof Schoen - Daimler AG, Sindelfingen, Germany
- Guido Vent - Daimler AG, Sindelfingen, Germany
- Susanne Philipp - Umicore AG & Co. KG, Hanau, Germany
- Ruediger Hoyer - Umicore AG & Co. KG, Hanau, Germany
- Frank Adam - Umicore AG & Co. KG, Hanau, Germany
- Stephan Eckhoff - Umicore AG & Co. KG, Hanau, Germany
CitationPhilipp, S., Hoyer, R., Adam, F., Eckhoff, S. et al., "Exhaust Gas Aftertreatment for Lean Gasoline Direct Injection Engines - Potential for Future Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1299, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1299.
- Waltner , A. , Lückert , P. , Schaupp , U. et al Future Technology of the Spark-ignition Engine: Spray-guided Direct Injection with Piezo Injector 27 th International Vienna Motor Symposium 2006
- Waltner , A. , Lückert , P. , Breitbach , H. et al The new V6 petrol engine with direct injection from Mercedes-Benz 31 st International Vienna Motor Symposium 2010
- Lückert , P. , Breitbach , H. , Waltner , A. , Merdes , N. and Weller , R Potential of spray-guided combustion systems in conjunction with downsizing concepts 32 nd International Vienna Motor Symposium 2011
- Rohr , F. , Peter , S. D. , Lox , E. et al. On the mechanism of sulphur poisoning and regeneration of a commercial gasoline NOx-storage catalyst Appl. Catal. B 56 201 212 2005
- Eckhoff , S. , Franke , T. , Philipp , S. , Müller , W. Abgasnachbehandlungskonzepte für Benzinmotoren mit strahlgeführter Direkteinspritzung 6. Tagung: Direkteinspritzung im Ottomotor Haus der Technik 2007
- Eckhoff , S. , Hoyer , R. , Adam , F. , Lammarck , C. , Müller , W. Die neue Generation von Abgasnachbehandlungssystemen für magerlaufende Benzinmotoren 7. Tagung: Direkteinspritzung im Ottomotor Haus der Technik 2009
- Vent , G. , Merdes , N. , Enderle , C. , Kreitmann , F. , Weller , R. The new 2.0l turbo engine from the Mercedes-Benz 4-cylinder engine family 21 st Aachen Colloquium Automobile and Engine Technology 2012
- Matsumoto , S. Catalysis Surveys from Japan 1 111 117 1997
- Pauly , T. , Franoschek , S. , Hoyer , R. , and Eckhoff , S. Cost and Fuel Economy Driven Aftertreatment Solutions -for Lean GDI- SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0363 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0363
- Wunsch , R. , Schön , C. , Vent , G. , Hoyer , R. , Dufour , D. , Eckhoff , S. Exhaust Gas Aftertreatment for BlueDIRECT Gasoline Engines with Lean Combustion - Potential for Future Applications 21 st Aachen Colloquium Automobile and Engine Technology 2012