This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Aerodynamic Pitching Stability of Sedan-Type Vehicles Influenced by Pillar-Shape Configurations
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The present study investigated the aerodynamic pitching stability of sedan-type vehicles under the influence of A- and C-pillar geometrical configurations. The numerical method used for the investigation is based on the Large Eddy Simulation (LES) method. Whilst, the Arbitrary Lagrangian-Eulerian (ALE) method was employed to realize the prescribed pitching oscillation of vehicles during dynamic pitching and fluid flow coupled simulations. The trailing vortices that shed from the A-pillar and C-pillar edges produced the opposite tendencies on how they affect the aerodynamic pitching stability of vehicles. In particular, the vortex shed from the A-pillar edge tended to enhance the pitching oscillation of vehicle, while the vortex shed from the C-pillar edge tended to suppress it. Hence, the vehicle with rounded A-pillar and angular C-pillar exhibited a higher aerodynamic damping than the vehicle with the opposite A- and C-pillars configurations. The underlying aerodynamic damping mechanism has been verified through flow visualization of phase-averaged results.
CitationCheng, S., Tsubokura, M., Okada, Y., Nakashima, T. et al., "Aerodynamic Pitching Stability of Sedan-Type Vehicles Influenced by Pillar-Shape Configurations," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1258, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1258.
- Ahmed , S. , Ramm , G. , and Faltin , G. Same Salient Features Of The Tme-Averaged Ground Vehicle Wake SAE Technical Paper 840300 1984 10.4271/840300
- Buchheim R. , Leie B. , Lückoff , H.-J. Der neue Audi 100- Ein Beispiel für konsequente aerodynamische Personenwagen-Entwicklung ATZ 85 1983 419 425
- Okada , Y. , Nouzawa , T. , Nakamura , T. , and Okamoto , S. Flow Structures above the Trunk Deck of Sedan-Type Vehicles and Their Influence on High-Speed Vehicle Stability 1st Report: On-Road and Wind-Tunnel Studies on Unsteady Flow Characteristics that Stabilize Vehicle Behavior SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 2 1 138 156 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0004
- Nakashima , T. , Tsubokura , M. , Nouzawa , T. , Nakamura , T. et al. Flow Structures above the Trunk Deck of Sedan-Type Vehicles and Their Influence on High-Speed Vehicle Stability 2nd Report: Numerical Investigation on Simplified Vehicle Models using Large-Eddy Simulation SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 2 1 157 167 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0006
- Cheng , S.Y. , Tsubokura , M. , Nakashima , T. , Nouzawa , T. , Okada , Y. A numerical analysis of transient flow past road vehicles subjected to pitching oscillation J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerodyn. 99 511 522 2011
- Cheng , S.Y. , Tsubokura , M. , Nakashima , T. , Nouzawa , T. , Okada , Y. Numerical quantification of aerodynamic damping on pitching of vehicle-inspired bluff body J. Fluid Struct. 30 188 204 2012
- Tsubokura , M. , Nakashima , T. , Kitoh , K. , Sasaki , Y. et al. Development of an Unsteady Aerodynamic Simulator Using Large-Eddy Simulation Based on High- Performance Computing Technique SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 2 1 168 178 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0007
- Tsubokura , M. , Kobayashi , T. , Nakashima , T. , Nouzawa , T. , Nakamura , T. , Zhang , H. , Onishi , K. , Oshima , N. Computational visualization of unsteady flow around vehicles using high performance computing Computers & Fluids 38 981 990 2009
- Smagorinsky , J. General circulation experiments with the primitive equations, I. The Basic Experiment Monthly Weather Rev. 91 3 99 164 1963
- Piomelli , U. , Chasnov , J.R. Large-eddy simulations: Theory and applications Henningson , D. , Hallbaeck , M. , Alfreddson , H. , Johansson , A. Transition and Turbulence Modelling Dordrecht Kluwer Academic Publishers 269 336 1996
- Krajnović , S. and Davidson , L. Large-Eddy Simulation of the Flow around Simplified Car Model SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0227 2004 10.4271/2004- 01-0227
- Aschwanden , P. , Müller , J. , and Knörnschild , U. Experimental Study on the Influence of Model Motion on the Aerodynamic Performance of a Race Car SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0803 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0803
- Guilmineau , E. and Chometon , F. Numerical and Experimental Analysis of Unsteady Separated Flow behind an Oscillating Car Model SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 1 1 646 657 2009 10.4271/2008-01-0738
- Kawakami , M. , Sato , N. , Aschwanden , P. , Mueller , J. et al. Validation and Modeling of Transient Aerodynamic Loads Acting on a Simplified Passenger Car Model in Sinusoidal Motion SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 5 1 340 357 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0447