This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Effect of Age on Fat and Bone Properties along the Vertebral Spine
- Journal Article
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1244
ISSN: 2327-5626, e-ISSN: 2327-5634
Published April 8, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Citation: Parenteau, C., Holcombe, S., Zhang, P., Kohoyda-Inglis, C. et al., "The Effect of Age on Fat and Bone Properties along the Vertebral Spine," SAE Int. J. Trans. Safety 1(2):226-240, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1244.
- Augenstein J. Digges K, Bahouth G, Dalmotas D, Perdeck E, Stratton J. Investigation of the performance of safety systems for protection of the elderly, in the 49th annual proceedings of the Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine (AAAM), 2005.
- Bauer JS, Henning TD, Müeller D, Lu Y, Majumdar S, Link TM. Volumetric quantitative CT of the spine and hip derived from contrast-enhanced MDCT: conversion factors. AJR Am J Roentgenol., Vol. 188, No 5, pp 1294-301, 2007. Bergeron E, Lavoie A, Clas D, Moore L, Ratte S, Tetreault S, Lemaire J, Martin M. Elderly trauma patients with rib fractures are at greater risk of death and pneumonia, J. Trauma, Vol. 54, pp. 478-485, 2003.
- Budoff MJ, Hamirani YS, Gao YL, et al. Measurement of thoracic bone mineral density with quantitative CT. Radiology, Vol 257, No 2, pp 434-440, 2010.
- Bulger E, Arneson M, Mock C, Jurkovich G. Rib fractures in the elderly. J. Trauma, Vol. 48, pp 1040-1047, 2000.
- Cartwright MJ, Tchkonia T, Kirkland JL Aging in adipocytes: potential impact of inherent, depot-specific mechanisms. Exp Gerontol. Vol. 42, No 6, pp 463-71, 2007.
- Cavanaugh J, Koh, SW. Thoracic injury tolerance in older occupants. In: Proceedings of the Presentation at Aging and Driving Symposium, Southfield, MI, Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine, Des Plaines, IL, 2001.
- Evans, L. Traffic Safety and the Driver. New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1991.
- Federal Interagency Forum on Aging-Related Statistics, Older Americans Update 2012, Key Indicators of Well-Being, http://www.agingstats.gov/agingstatsdotnet/Main_Site/Data/2012_Documents/Docs/EntireChartbook.pdf, 2012.
- Foret-Bruno, J., Trosseille, X., Le Coz, J., Bendjellal, F. et al., “Thoracic Injury Risk in Frontal Car Crashes with Occupant Restrained with Belt Load Limiter,” SAE Technical Paper 983166, 1998, doi:10.4271/983166.
- Fox CS, Massaro JM, Hoffmann U, Pou KM, Maurovich-Horvat P, Liu CY, Vasan RS, Murabito JM, Meigs JB, Cupples LA, D'Agostino RBSr, O'Donnell CJ. Abdominal visceral and subcutaneous adipose tissue compartments: association with metabolic risk factors in the Framingham heart study. Circulation. Vol. 116, No. 1, pp. 39-48. 2007.
- Johannsen DL, Ravussin Obesity in the elderly: is faulty metabolism to blame? Aging health. Vol 6, No. 2, pp 159-167, 2010.
- Kent R, Henary B, Matsuoka F. On the fatal crash experience of older drivers in the 49th Annual Proceedings of the Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine (AAAM), pp 371-91, 2005a.
- Kent R, Lee S, Darvish K, Wang S, Poster C, Lange A, Brede C, Lange D, Matsuoka F. Structural and material changes in the aging thorax and their role in reduced thoracic injury tolerance. Stapp Car Crash Journal, Vol. 49, pp 231-49, 2005b.
- Kent R, Woods W, Bostrom O. Fatality risk and the presence of rib fractures, in the 52nd Annual Proceedings of the Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine (AAAM). pp 73-84, 2008.
- Koh S., Cavanaugh, J., and Zhu, J., "Injury and Response of the Shoulder in Lateral Sled Tests," 2001.
- Kuppa S, Eppinger R, Maltese M, Naik R, Pintar F, Yoganandan N, Saul R, McFadde J. Assessment of thoracic injury criteria for side impact. International IRCOBI Conference on the Biomechanics of Impact, pp. 131-146, 2000.
- Kuppa, S., Eppinger, R., McKoy, F., Nguyen, T., Pintar, F., Yoganandan, N Development of side impact thoracic injury criteria and their application to the modified ES-2 dummy with rib extensions (ES-2re), Stapp Car Crash Journal, Vol. 47, pp. 189-210, 2003.
- Levi S, De Leonardis D. Occupant protection issues among older drivers and passengers: Volume 1 final report, NHTSA DOT report #HS 810 938, 2008.
- Li G, Braver ER, Chen LH. Fragility versus excessive crash involvement as determinants of high death rates per vehicle-mile of travel among older drivers, Accident Analysis and Prevention, Vol 35, pp 227-235, 2003.
- Lyman S, Ferguson SA, Braver ER, Williams AF. Older driver involvements in police reported crashes and fatal crashes: Trends and projections. Inj Prev. Vol 8, No 2, pp 116-20, 2002.
- Mertz HJ, Jarrett K, Moss S, Salloum M, Zhao Y. The Hybrid III 10-Year-Old Dummy, SAE # 2001-22-0014, Proceedings of the 45th Stapp Car Crash Conference, Society of Automotive Engineers, 2001.
- Mroz K, Bostrom O, Pipkorn B, Wismans J, Brolin K. Comparison of Hybrid III and Human Body Models in Evaluating Thoracic Response for Various Seat Belt and Airbag Loading Conditions. IRCOBI (International Research Council on the Biomechanics of Injury) Conference Proceedings, pp 265-280, 2010.
- Pintar, F., Yoganandan, N., Hines, M., Maltese, M. et al., “Chestband Analysis of Human Tolerance to Side Impact,” SAE Technical Paper 973320, 1997, doi:10.4271/973320.
- Pipkorn, B. and Mroz, K., “Validation of a Human Body Model for Frontal Crash and its Use for Chest Injury Prediction,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 1(1):1094-1117, 2009, doi:10.4271/2008-01-1868.
- Ruan J, El-Jawahri R, Chai L, Barbat S, Prasad P. Prediction and analysis of human thoracic impact responses and injuries in cadaver impacts using a full human body finite element model. Stapp Car Crash Journal, Vol.47, pp 299-321, 2003.
- Wang CC, Kosinski CJ, Schwartzberg JS, Shanklin AV. Physician's Guide to Assessing and Counseling Older Drivers, Report # HS-809 647, 2003.
- Wang SC. body changes with aging: effect on crash injury tolerance. CIREN quarterly conference. Washington, DC. December 2001.
- Zhang PC, Parenteau CS, Wang L. Prediction of thoracic injury severity in frontal impacts by selected anatomical morphomic features through model-averaged logistic regression models, ICAM Internal report, 2012.
- Zhou, Q., Rouhana, S., and Melvin, J., “Age Effects on Thoracic Injury Tolerance,” SAE Technical Paper 962421, 1996, doi:10.4271/962421.