This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Demonstration of a Model-Based Control Design and Calibration Method for Cost Optimal Euro-VI Engine-Aftertreatment Operation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
This paper presents a model-based control and calibration design method for online cost-based optimization of engine-aftertreatment operation under all operating conditions. The so-called Integrated Emission Management (IEM) strategy online minimizes the fuel and AbBlue consumption. Based on the actual state of engine and aftertreatment systems, optimal air management settings are determined for EGR-SCR balancing. Following a model-based approach, the strategy allows for a systematic control design and calibration procedure for engine and aftertreatment systems.
The potential of this time efficient method is demonstrated by experiments for a heavy-duty Euro-VI engine. The Integrated Emission Management strategy is developed and calibrated offline over a cold and hot World Harmonized Transient Cycle (WHTC) for the set emission targets.
The total IEM development and calibration process takes approximately 20 weeks from model identification to the acceptance tests. Moreover, by only changing the software settings, the existing hardware performance increases: the WHTC results show a 1.1% operational cost reduction and corresponding 1.4% fuel consumption reduction (and by that CO₂) compared to the baseline Euro-VI strategy. Further potential benefits include reduced heat rejection in the EGR system and reduced DPF regeneration frequency. The presented approach offers also a generic framework for future extension with Waste Heat Recovery and hybrid electric drivetrain functions: Integrated Emission and Energy Management.
CitationMentink, P., Willems, F., Kupper, F., and Van den Eijnden, E., "Experimental Demonstration of a Model-Based Control Design and Calibration Method for Cost Optimal Euro-VI Engine-Aftertreatment Operation," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1061, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1061.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- European Commission WHITE PAPER Roadmap to a Single European Transport Area - Towards a competitive and resource efficient transport system COM/2011/0144 final 28 March 2011
- Renschler , A. Vision 20-20 ACEA Press Conference at the IAA 2008 Germany September 23 rd 2008
- Mercedes-Benz Blue Efficiency Power: the new generation of heavy-duty engines from Mercedes-Benz for economic running, environmental compatibility and efficiency Mannheim 17 03 2011 http://media.daimler.com/dcmedia/0-921-656501-1-1375819-1-0-0-0-0-1-11700-0-0-1-0-0-0-0-0.html
- Paccar-DAF DAF announces Euro 6 engines with common rail- Developed for maximum efficiency and sustainability Eindhoven 05 04 2012 http://www.daf.com/EN/News-Media/News/Pages/DAF-announces-Euro-6-engines-with-common-rail.aspx
- Scania Scania unveils engines to meet future environmental standards 01 04 2011 http://www.scania.com/media/pressreleases/N11012EN.aspx
- Volvo Trucks New Volvo engine for Euro 6 05 07 2012 http://www.volvotrucks.com/trucks/global/engb/newsmedia/pressreleases/Pages/pressreleases.aspx?pubId=13249
- Fiat Industrial Iveco and FPT Industrial Announce Unique SCR Technology to meet Euro VI Emission Standard Torino 20 05 2011 http://www.dieselnet.com/news/2011/05iveco.php
- Körfer , T. , Ruhkamp , L. , Herrmann , O. , Linssen , R. , Adolph , D. FEV 2008 Verschärfte Anforderungen an die Luftpfadregelung bei Nutzfahrzeugen Motortechnische Zeitschrift (MTZ) 11 2008
- Cloudt , R. and Willems , F. Integrated Emission Management strategy for cost-optimal engine-aftertreatment operation SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 1784 1797 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1310
- Cloudt , R. , Saenen , J. , Eijnden , E. , and Rojer , C. Virtual Exhaust Line for Model-based Diesel Aftertreatment Development SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0888 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0888
- Wahlström , J. , Eriksson , L. Modeling diesel engines with a variable-geometry turbocharger and exhaust gas recirculation by optimization of model parameters for capturing non-linear system dynamics Proc. Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part D, Journal of Automobile Engineering 225 7 960 986 July 2011 10.1177/0954407011398177
- Eijnden , E. , Cloudt , R. , Willems , F. , and Heijden , P. Automated Model Fit Tool for SCR Control and OBD Development SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1285 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1285
- Geering , H. Optimal control with engineering applications Springer Verlag 2007
- Stewart , G. Issues Facing Industrial Deployment of Advanced Control in Diesel Engines American Control Conference 2012 Montréal, Canada
- Lagarias J. C. , Reeds J. A. , Wright M. H. and Wright P. E. Convergence properties of the Nedler-Mead simplex method in low dimensions Siam J. Optim. 9 1 112 147 1998
- Willems , F. , Kupper , F. , Cloudt , R. Integrated Powertrain Control for optimal CO 2 -NO x tradeoff in an Euro-VI diesel engine with Waste Heat Recovery system proceeding of 2012 American Control Conference Montréal June 27 29 2012 1296 1300