This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Experimental Investigation on Performance and Emission Studies of a Single Cylinder Diesel Engine Fuelled with Blends of Diesel and Mahua Oil Methyl Ester
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Ever increasing consumption of petroleum derived fuels has been a matter of grave concern due to rapidly depleting global reserves and alarming levels of emissions leading to global warming and climate change. Exhaustive research has been carried out globally to evaluate the suitability of variety of renewable fuels for internal combustion engine applications. Amongst them, vegetable oil methyl esters or biodiesel seem to be a promising alternative for diesel in vital sectors such as transportation, industrial and rural agriculture. For quite some time, the focus for production of biodiesel has shifted towards non-edible oil feedstock from the edible ones, mostly due to food security issues. One such non-edible oil, locally known as Mahua in Indian subcontinent, is a very promising feed stock for biodiesel production. In the present investigation, 5%, 10%, 15% and 20% (v/v %) blends of mahua oil methyl ester (MOME) and diesel were prepared. Results of engine trial suggest that the full load brake thermal efficiency was increased by a range of 3.9-23% as compared to diesel baseline. Similarly full load brake specific energy consumption was found to decline with increase in MOME composition in the blend. CO emission was insignificant at part loads for all the blends, however, at full load, blends of MOME showed reduction in CO emission. Emissions of HC were reduced with increase in MOME percentage in the blend confirming better combustion due to the oxygenated fuel. Smoke opacity was also found to decrease with increase in MOME concentration in the blend. However, a marginal increase in NOx was obtained with higher blends.
CitationVibhanshu, V., Kumar, N., Singh, A., and Mishra, C., "An Experimental Investigation on Performance and Emission Studies of a Single Cylinder Diesel Engine Fuelled with Blends of Diesel and Mahua Oil Methyl Ester," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1041, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1041.
- Harrington Kevin J., Chemical and Physical Properties of Vegetable Oil Esters and their Effect on Diesel Fuel Performance, Biomass 9 (1986) 1-17.
- Bezergianni Stella, Dimitriadis Athanasios, Kalogianni Aggeliki, Pilavachi Petros A., Hydrotreating of waste cooking oil for biodiesel production. Part I: Effect of temperature on product yields and heteroatom removal, Bioresource Technology 101 (2010) 6651-6656.
- Halim Siti Fatimah Abdul, Kamaruddin Azlina Harun, Fernando W.J.N., Continuous biosynthesis of biodiesel from waste cooking palm oil in a packed bed reactor: Optimization using response surface methodology (RSM) and mass transfer studies, Bioresource Technology 100 (2009) 710-716.
- Berrios M., Martín M.A., Chica A.F., Martín A., Purification of biodiesel from used cooking oils, Applied Energy 88 (2011) 3625-3631.
- BP Statistical Review Of World Energy 2012.
- Petstat, Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas, Government of India www.petroleum.nic.in/petstat.pdf, accessed on October 2011.
- Varde K. S., Bulk modulus of vegetable oil-diesel fuel blends, FUEL, 1984, Vol 63, May 713.
- Srivastava Anjana, Prasad Ram Triglycerides-based diesel fuels, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews Volume 4, Issue 2, June 2000, Pages 111-133
- Altun Sehmus, comparison of engine performance and exhaust emission Characteristics of sesame oil-diesel fuel mixture with diesel fuel in a direct injection diesel engine.
- Demirbas Ayhan, Biodiesel from waste cooking oil via base-catalytic and supercritical methanol transesterification, Energy Conversion and Management 50 (2009) 923-927.
- Knothe Gerhard, Steidley Kevin R., A comparison of used cooking oils: A very heterogeneous feedstock for biodiesel, Bioresource Technology 100 (2009) 5796-5801.
- Bautista Luis Fernando, Vicente Gemma, RosalıRodríguez, María Pacheco, Optimisation of FAME production from waste cooking oil for biodiesel use, biomass and bioenergy 33 (2009) 862-872.
- Enweremadu C.C., Rutto H.L., Combustion, emission and engine performance characteristics of used cooking oil biodiesel-A review, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 14 (2010) 2863-2873.
- Puhan Sukumar, Vedaraman N, Rambrahamam B V and Nagarajan G, Mahua (Madhuca indica) seed oil: A source of renewable energy in India, Journal of Scientific & Industrial Research, Vol. 64, November 2005, pp. 890-896.
- Patil B.S., Gosai D.C. and patel A.J., Performance analysis of dual cylinder diesel engine fueled with mahua biodiesel, World Journal of Science and Technology 2012, 2(4):24-27.
- Production Of biodiesel from jatropha oil catalyzed by nanosized solid basic catalyst Original Research Article Energy, Volume 36, issue 2, February 2011, pages 777-784.
- Deng Xin, Fang Zhen, Liu Yun-hu, Yu Chang-Liu Biodiesel production from Jatropha oil by catalytic and non-catalytic approaches: An overview Review Article Bioresource Technology, Volume 102, Issue 2, January 2011, Pages 452-460.
- Juan JoonChing, Kartika Damayani Agung, Wu Ta Yeong, Hin Taufiq-Yap Yun Biodiesel Production from Crude Jatropha curcas L. Oil with Trace Acid Catalyst Original Research Article Chinese Journal of Chemical Engineering, Volume 20, Issue 4, August 2012, Pages 740-746.
- Yingying LIU, Houfang LU, Wei JIANG, Dongsheng LI, Shijie LIU, LIANG Bin Preparation of biodiesel from Jatropha curcas L. oil produced by two-phase solvent extraction Original Research Article Bioresource Technology, Volume 101, Issue 18, September 2010, Pages 7025-7031.
- Qian Junfeng, Shi Haixian, Yun Zhi Ultrasonic transesterification of Jatropha curcas L. oil to biodiesel by a two-step process Original Research Article Energy Conversion and Management, Volume 51, Issue 12, December 2010, Pages 2802-2807.
- Deng Xin, Fang Zhen, Liu Yun-hu Production of biodiesel from Jatropha curcas L. oil Original Research Article Computers & Chemical Engineering, Volume 33, Issue 5, 21 May 2009, Pages 1091-1096.
- Lu Houfang, Liu Yingying, Zhou Hui, Yang Ying, Chen Mingyan, Liang Bin Biodiesel production from crude Jatropha curcas L. seed oil with a high content of freefattyacids Original Research Article Bioresource Technology, Volume 99, Issue 6, April 2008, Pages 1716-1721.
- Berchmans Hanny Johanes, Hirata Shizuko Heterogeneous catalysis for biodiesel production from Jatropha curcas oil (JCO) Original Research Article Energy, Volume 36, Issue 5, May 2011, Pages 2693-2700.
- Endalew Abebe K., Kiros Yohannes, Zanzi Rolando, Two-step biodiesel production from Jatropha curcas crude oil using SiO2·HF solid catalyst for FFA esterification step Original Research Article Fuel, Volume 89, Issue 10, October 2010, Pages 2815-2821.
- Corro Grisel, Tellez Nallely, Ayala Edgar, Marinez-Ayal Alma Biodiesel Production from Low Quality Crude Jatropha Oil Using Heterogeneous Catalyst Original Research Article APCBEE Procedia, Volume 3, 2012, Pages 23-27.
- Kay Kian Hee, MdYasir Suhaimi, Biodiesel production from Jatropha curcas crude oil using ZnO/SiO2 photocatalyst for free fatty acids esterification Original Research Article Applied Catalysis B: Environmental, Volume 129, 17 January 2013, Pages 39-47.
- Corro Grisel, Pal Umapada, Tellez Nallely Production of biodiesel from high free fatty acid Karanja(Pongamiapinnata) oil Original Research Article Biomass and Bioenergy, Volume 32, Issue 4, April 2008, Pages 354-357.
- Naik Malaya, Meher L.C., Naik S.N., Das L.M., Acid-catalyzed esterification of karanja (Pongamiapinnata) oil with high free fatty acids for biodiesel production Original Research Article Fuel, Volume 98, August 2012, Pages 1-4.
- Thiruvengadaravi K.V., Nandagopal J., Baskaralingam P., Bala V. Sathya Selva, Sivanesan S., Development of biodiesel from karanja, a tree found in rural India Fuel, Volume 87, Issues 8-9, July 2008, Pages 1740-1742.
- Sharma Y.C., Singh B., Optimization of two step karanja biodiesel synthesis under microwave irradiation Original Research Article Fuel Processing Technology, Volume 92, Issue 1, January 2011, Pages 100-105.
- Kamath H. Venkatesh, Regupathi I., Saidutta M.B., Methyl ester of karanja oil as an alternative renewable source energy Original Research Article Fuel, Volume 87, Issues 8-9, July 2008, Pages 1673-1677.
- Srivastava P.K., Verma Madhumita, Biodiesel production from mahua (Madhuca indica) oil having high free fatty acids Original Research Article Biomass and Bioenergy, Volume 28, Issue 6, June 2005, Pages 601-605.
- Ghadge Shashikant Vilas, Raheman Hifjur, Process optimization for biodiesel production from mahua (Madhuca indica) oil using response surface methodology Original Research Article Bioresource Technology, Volume 97, Issue 3, February 2006, Pages 379-384.
- Gupta Aditi, Chaudhary Rohit, Sharma Satyawati, Potential Applications of Mahua (Madhuca indica) Biomass, Waste and Biomass Valorization, Volume 3, Issue 2, pp 175-189, 2012.
- Savariraj S. Ganapathy T. and Saravanan C. G. Experimental Investigation of Performance and Emission Characteristics of Mahua Biodiesel in Diesel Engine, ISRN Renewable Energy, Volume 2011, Article ID 405182, 6 pages, doi: 10.5402/2011\405182.
- Padhi, S.K., Singh, R.K., Optimization of esterification and transesterification of Mahua (Madhuca Indica) oil for production of biodiesel, J. Chem. Pharm. Res., 2010, 2(5):599-608.
- Mahua-A potential Treeborne oilseed, NOVOD Board, Govt. Of India, www.novodboard.com/Mahua-Eng.pdf.
- Patil D A, Pawar Shubhangi and Patil M V, Mahuwa tree and the aborigines of North Maharashtra, Natural Product Radiance Vol 3(5) September-October 2004.
- http://www.svlele.com/mahuae.htm. accessed on 10/10/2012.
- Labeckas Gvidonas, Slavinskas Stasys. The effect of rapeseed oil methyl ester on direct injection Diesel engine performance and exhaust emissions. Energy Conversion and Management 47 (2006) 1954-1967.
- Kumar K. Suresh, Velraj R., Ganesan R. Performance and exhaust emission characteristics of a CI engine fueled with Pongamiapinnata methyl ester (PPME) and its blends with diesel. Renewable Energy 33 (2008) 2294-2302.
- Lapuerta Magín, Armas Octavio, Rodríguez-Fernández José. Effect of biodiesel fuels on diesel engine emissions. Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 34 (2008) 198-223.
- Adaileh Wail M. and Alqdah Khaled S. Performance of Diesel Engine Fuelled by a Biodiesel Extracted From A Waste Cocking Oil, Energy Procedia 18 (2012) 1317-1334.
- An H., Yang W.M., Chou S.K., Chua K.J. Combustion and emissions characteristics of diesel engine fueled by biodiesel at partial load conditions Applied Energy 99 (2012) 363-371.
- Qi D.H., Geng L.M., Chen H., Bian Y.ZH., Liu J., Ren X.CH. Combustion and performance evaluation of a diesel engine fueled with biodiesel produced from soybean crude oil, Renewable Energy 34 (2009) 2706-2713.
- NurunNabi Md., Rahman Md. Mustafizur, Akhter Md. Shamim, Biodiesel from cotton seed oil and its effect on engine performance and exhaust emissions, Applied Thermal Engineering 29 (2009) 2265-2270.
- Hoekman S. Kent, Robbins Curtis Review of the effects of biodiesel on NOx emissions Fuel Processing Technology Volume 96, April 2012, Pages 237-249.
- Hoekmana S. Kent, Brocha Amber, Robbinsa Curtis, Cenicerosa Eric, Natarajanb Mani, Review of biodiesel composition, properties, and specifications Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews Volume 16, Issue 1, January 2012, Pages 143-169.
- Yanowitz Janet, McCormick Robert L., Effect of biodiesel blends on North American heavy-duty diesel engine emissions European Journal of Lipid Science and Technology Volume 111, Issue 8, pages 763-772, No. 8 August 2009.
- Solaimuthul Chandrakasan and Govindarajan Palanisamy, Effect of injection timing on performance, combustion and emission characteristics of diesel engine using mahua oil methyl ester as fuel, journal of scientific & industrial research Vol. 71, January 2012, pp. 69-74
- Agarwal Deepak, Kumar Lokesh, Agarwal Avinash Kumar, Performance evaluation of a vegetable oil fuelled compression ignition engine, Renewable Energy 33 (2008) 1147-1156.
- Sayin Cenk, Gumus Metin, Impact of compression ratio and injection parameters on the performance and emissions of a DI diesel engine fueled with biodiesel-blended diesel fuel, Applied Thermal Engineering 31 (2011) 3182-3188.
- Godiganur, Sharanappa b Murthy C.H. Suryanarayana, Reddy RanaPrathap 6BTA 5.9 G21 Cummins engine performance and emission tests using methyl ester mahua (Madhuca indica) oil/diesel blends, Renewable Energy 34 (2009) 2172-2177.
- Ng Hoon Kiat, Gan Suyin Combustion performance and exhaust emissions from the non pressurised combustion of palm oil biodiesel blends, Applied Thermal Engineering 30 (2010) 2476-2484.