This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Investigation on the Combustion and Emissions of a Light Duty Diesel Engine Fuelled with Butanol-Diesel Blend
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In the present paper, results of an experimental investigation carried out in a modern Diesel engine running at different operating conditions and fuelled with commercial diesel and n-butanol-diesel blend are reported. The investigation was focused on the management of injection strategy and combustion timing (CA50) exploring the effect of intake oxygen concentration and boost pressure on engine out emissions.
The aim of the paper was to compare, with respect to commercial diesel, the effects of a fuel blend with a lower cetane number and higher volatility on performance and engine out emissions. Engine tests, with baseline diesel and a blend made by the baseline low sulphur diesel with 20% in volume of n-butanol (B20), were performed comparing engine out gaseous, smoke emissions and combustion efficiency. The investigation was performed on a turbocharged, water cooled, DI diesel engine, equipped with a common rail injection system. The engine equipment included an exhaust gas recirculation system, a piezo-quartz pressure transducer to detect the in-cylinder pressure signal and a current probe to acquire the energizing current to the injector. A parametric analysis was carried out exploring the effect of combustion phasing (CA50), O2 concentration at intake and injection strategy on combustion behavior and engine out emissions (NOx, HC, CO, Smoke) at medium load and engine speed (firstname.lastname@example.orgMPa of BMEP).
CitationValentino, G., Iannuzzi, S., and Corcione, F., "Experimental Investigation on the Combustion and Emissions of a Light Duty Diesel Engine Fuelled with Butanol-Diesel Blend," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0915, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0915.
- Lu , X. et al. Fuel design and management for the control of advanced compression-ignition combustion modes Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 2011 10.1016/j.pecs.2011.03.003
- Bessonette , P. , Schleyer , C. , Duffy , K. , Hardy , W. et al. Effects of Fuel Property Changes on Heavy-Duty HCCI Combustion SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0191 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0191
- Weall , A. and Collings , N. Investigation into Partially Premixed Combustion in a Light-Duty Multi-Cylinder Diesel Engine Fuelled Gasoline and Diesel with a Mixture of SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-4058 2007 10.4271/2007-01-4058
- Kalghatgi , G. , Risberg , P. , and Ångström , H. Partially Pre-Mixed Auto-Ignition of Gasoline to Attain Low Smoke and Low NOx at High Load in a Compression Ignition Engine and Comparison with a Diesel Fuel SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0006 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0006
- Kalghatgi , G. , Hildingsson , L. and Johansson , B. Low NOx and Low Smoke Operation of a Diesel Engine using Gasoline-like Fuels ASME Paper # ICES2009-76034
- Hildingsson , L. , Kalghatgi , G. , Tait , N. , Johansson , B. et al. Fuel Octane Effects in the Partially Premixed Combustion Regime in Compression Ignition Engines SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2648 2009 10.4271/2009-01-2648
- Manente , V. , Johansson , B. , Tunestal , P. , and Cannella , W. Effects of Different Type of Gasoline Fuels on Heavy Duty Partially Premixed Combustion SAE Int. J. Engines 2 2 71 88 2010 10.4271/2009-01-2668
- Han , D. , Ickes , A. M. , Assanis , D. N. , Huang , Z. , Bohac , S.V. Attainment and load Extension of High-Efficiency Premixed Low-Temperature Combustion with Dieseline in a Compression Ignition Engine Energy Fuels 24 6 3517 3525 2010
- Curran , S. , Prikhodko , V. , Cho , K. , Sluder , C. et al. In-Cylinder Fuel Blending of Gasoline/Diesel for Improved Efficiency and Lowest Possible Emissions on a Multi-Cylinder Light-Duty Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-2206 2010 10.4271/2010-01-2206
- Valentino , G. , Corcione , F. , Iannuzzi , S. , and Serra , S. Effects of Premixed Low Temperature Combustion of Fuel Blends with High Resistance to Auto-ignition on Performances and Emissions in a High Speed Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2011-24-0049 2011 10.4271/2011-24-0049
- Manente , V. , Johansson , B. , and Tunestal , P. Partially Premixed Combustion at High Load using Gasoline and Ethanol, a Comparison with Diesel SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0944 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0944
- Rakopoulos , D.C. , Rakopoulos , C.D. , Giakoumis , E.G. , Dimaratos , A.M. , Kyritsis , D.C. Effects of butanol-diesel fuel blends on the performance and emissions of a high-speed DI diesel engine Elsevier Ltd. Energy Conversion and Management 51 1989 1997
- Dogan , O. The influence of n-butanol/diesel fuel blends utilization on small diesel engine performance and emissions FUEL VOLUME 90 ISSUE 7 July 2011 2467 2472
- Valentino , G. , Corcione , F.E. , Iannuzzi , S. , Serra , S. Experimental study on performance and emissions of a high speed diesel engine fuelled with n-butanol diesel blends under premixed low temperature combustion Fuel 10.1016/j.fuel.2011.07.035
- Hasegawa , R. and Yanagihara , H. HCCI Combustion in DI Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0745 2003 10.4271/2003-01-0745
- Hasegawa , R. , Sakata , I. , Koyama , T. , and Yanagihara , H. Numerical Analysis of Ignition Control in HCCI Engine SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1817 2003 10.4271/2003-01-1817
- Torregrosa , A.J. , Broatch , A. , Novella , R. , Mónico , L.F. Suitability analysis of advanced diesel combustion concepts for emissions and noise control Energy 36 2011 825 838 2010 Elsevier ltd. 10.1016/j.energy.2010.12.032