This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Air-Assisted Direct Injection Diesel Investigations
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Enhancement of fuel/air mixing is one path towards enabling future diesel engines to increase efficiency and control emissions. Air-assist fuel injections have shown potential for low pressure applications and the current work aims to extend air-assist feasibility understanding to high pressure environments. Analyses were completed and carried out for traditional high pressure fuel-only, internal air-assist, and external air-assist fuel/air mixing processes. A combination of analytical 0-D theory and 3D CFD were used to help understand the processes and guide the design of the air-assisted setup. The internal air-assisted setup was determined to have excellent liquid fuel vaporization, but poorer fuel dispersion than the traditional high-pressure fuel injections. The external air-assist setup showed potential in enhancing the fuel/air mixing process by a reduction in local equivalence ratios, and was selected over the internal air-assisted concept for manufacturing and experimental testing.
Experiments in a constant volume combustion reactor were completed using a pre-burn technique to prepare the ambient gases to diesel auto-ignition temperature ranges (+750 K). High-speed Schlieren photography and laser extinction measurements were employed to assess both the qualitative and quantitative nature of the fuel/air mixing process and sooting tendency.
CitationKoci, C., Florea, R., Das, S., Walls, M. et al., "Air-Assisted Direct Injection Diesel Investigations," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0907, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0907.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Siebers , D. Liquid-Phase Fuel Penetration in Diesel Sprays SAE Technical Paper 980809 1998 10.4271/980809
- Siebers , D. Scaling Liquid-Phase Fuel Penetration in Diesel Sprays Based on Mixing-Limited Vaporization SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0528 1999 10.4271/1999-01-0528
- Dodge , L. , Simescu , S. , Neely , G. , Maymar , M. et al. Effect of Small Holes and High Injection Pressures on Diesel Engine Combustion SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0494 2002 10.4271/2002-01-0494
- Siebers D. , Higgins B. Effects of Injector Conditions on the Flame Lift-Off length of DI Diesel Sprays Sandia Report SAND2000-8249 2000
- Siebers , D. and Higgins , B. Flame Lift-Off on Direct-Injection Diesel Sprays Under Quiescent Conditions SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0530 2001 10.4271/2001-01-0530
- Dec , J. A Conceptual Model of DI Diesel Combustion Based on Laser-Sheet Imaging SAE Technical Paper 970873 1997 10.4271/970873
- Flynn , P. , Durrett , R. , Hunter , G. , zur Loye , A. et al. Diesel Combustion: An Integrated View Combining Laser Diagnostics, Chemical Kinetics, And Empirical Validation SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0509 1999 10.4271/1999-01-0509
- Roberts , C. , Naegeli , D. , and Chadwell , C. The Effect of Water on Soot Formation Chemistry SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3850 2005 10.4271/2005-01-3850
- Alger , T. , Mangold , B. , Mehta , D. , and Roberts , C. The Effect of Sparkplug Design on Initial Flame Kernel Development and Sparkplug Performance SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0224 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0224
- Sovani S. D. , Crofts J. D. , Sojka P. E. , Gore J. P. , Eckerle W. A. Structure and steady-state performance of an effervescent diesel injector Fuel 84 1503 1514 2005
- Ziejewski , M. and Goettler , H. Fuel-Air Injection Nozzle for Diesel Engines SAE Technical Paper 891944 1989 10.4271/891944
- Kurtz , E. , Mather , D. , and Foster , D. Parameters That Affect the Impact of Auxiliary Gas Injection in a DI Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0233 2000 10.4271/2000-01-0233
- Ekenberg , M. , Reinmann , R. , Olofsson , E. , Gillet , B. et al. The Influence of a Late In-Cylinder Air Injection on In-Cylinder Flow Measured with Particle Image Velocimetry (PIV) SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3492 2001 10.4271/2001-01-3492
- Ahern , B. , Djutrisno , I. , Donahue , K. , Haldeman , C. et al. Dramatic Emissions Reductions with a Direct Injection Diesel Engine Burning Supercritical Fuel/Water Mixtures SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3526 2001 10.4271/2001-01-3526
- Kubota , M. , Yoshida , K. , Shoji , H. , and Tanaka , H. 8 A Study of the Influence of Fuel Temperature on Emission Characteristics and Engine Performance of Compression Ignition Engine 2002
- O'Rourke P. J. Collective Drop Effects on Vaporizing Liquid Sprays PhD thesis Princeton University Princeton, New Jersey 1981
- Reitz R. D. Mechanisms of Atomization Processes in High-Pressure Vaporizing Sprays Atomization and Spray Technology 3 309 337 1987
- Shih T.-H. , Liou W. W. , Shabbir A. , Yang Z. , and Zhu J. A New k-epsilon Eddy-Viscosity Model for High Reynolds Number Turbulent Flows - Model Development and Validation Computers Fluids 24 3 227 238 1995
- Musculus M.P.B. , Pickett L.M. Diagnostic Considerations for Optical Laser-Extinction Measurements of Soot in High-pressure Transient Combustion Environments Combustion and Flame 141 371 391 2005
- Alger , T. , Gingrich , J. , Mangold , B. , and Roberts , C. A Continuous Discharge Ignition System for EGR Limit Extension in SI Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 677 692 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0661
- Zhao , H. and Ladommatos , N. Engine Combustion Instrumentation and Diagnostics Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. Warrendale, PA 978-0-7680-0665-0 2001 10.4271/R-264
- Schmidt U.T. , Sojka P.E. Air-Assist Pressure Swirl Atomization Atomization and Sprays 9 173 192 1999