This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Diesel Knock Visualization and Frequency Analysis of Premixed Charge Compression Ignition Combustion with a Narrow Injection Angle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this study, premixed charge compression ignition (PCCI) combustion was implemented using an injector that had a narrow injection angle of 70° and a moderately early injection timing of -40° crank angle after top dead center (CA ATDC). In-cylinder pressure measurements and high-speed direct imaging of the flame were performed in an optically accessible single-cylinder diesel engine. Frequency analysis of the acquired in-cylinder pressure data was carried out to obtain the frequency range of diesel knock. Meanwhile, image segmentation and a tracking algorithm based on YCbCr color space were implemented to determine the frequency range of diesel knock from the obtained high-speed image.
The results show that the frequency of diesel knock was dominated by the range from 13 kHz to 15 kHz. Still, frequency with low power existed down until 7 kHz. The frequencies of the area movement were shown to be 13 kHz and, in some cases, 8.67 kHz. It was found that there is a direct relationship between the pressure ringing and the area movement.
CitationPark, S., Jung, Y., and Bae, C., "Diesel Knock Visualization and Frequency Analysis of Premixed Charge Compression Ignition Combustion with a Narrow Injection Angle," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0906, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0906.
- Heywood , J. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill 1988
- Ryan , T. and Callahan , T. Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition of Diesel Fuel SAE Technical Paper 961160 1996 10.4271/961160
- Iwabuchi , Y. , Kawai , K. , Shoji , T. , and Takeda , Y. Trial of New Concept Diesel Combustion System - Premixed Compression-Ignited Combustion SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0185 1999 10.4271/1999-01-0185
- Dec , J. Advanced compression-ignition engines-understanding the in-cylinder processes Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 32 2 2727 2742 2009 10.1016/j.proci.2008.08.008
- Jung , Y. , Bae , C. , Jang , J. , and Kim , D. Improvement of Premixed Compression Ignition Combustion using Various Injector Configurations SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1357 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1357
- Russell , M. and Haworth , R. Combustion Noise from High Speed Direct Injection Diesel Engines SAE Technical Paper 850973 1985 10.4271/850973
- Schaberg , P. , Priede , T. , and Dutkiewicz , R. Effects of a Rapid Pressure Rise on Engine Vibration and Noise SAE Technical Paper 900013 1990 10.4271/900013
- Ren , Y. , Randall , R. B. , and Milton , B. E. Influence of the Resonant Frequency on the Control of Knock in Diesel Engines Proc. of the Inst. of Mech. Eng., Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 213 D2 127 133 1999
- Rusly , A. M. , Zhang , R. , Kook , S. and Hawkes , E. Diesel Knock Visualisation in a Small-Bore Optical Engine Proceedings of Australian Combustion Symposium Australian Combustion Institute 2011
- Gonzalez , R. and Wood , R. Digital Image Processing Second Prentice Hall 15 64 2002
- Xie , M. , Wu , J. , Zhang , L. , and Li , C. A novel Boiler Flame Image Segmentation and Tracking Algorithm Based on YCbCr Color Space Information and Automation, Proceedings of the 2009 IEEE International Conference on Information and Automation 138 143 2009 10.1109/ICINFA.2009.5204908
- Grossmann , A. and Morlet , J. Decomposition of Hardy Functions into Square Integrable Wavelets of Constant Shape SIAM Journal on Mathematical Analysis 15 4 723 736 1984 10.1137/0515056
- Morlet , J. , Arens , G. , Forgeau , I. and Giard , D. Wave Propagation and Sampling Theory Geophysics 47 203 236 1982 10.1190/1.1441328
- Zhang , Z. and Tomota , E. A New Diagnostic Method of Knocking in a Spark-Ignition Engine Using the Wavelet Transform SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1801 2000 10.4271/2000-01-1801
- Hao , Z. and Han , J. Identification of diesel front sound source based on continuous wavelet transform Journal of Zhejiang University Science 5 9 1069 1075 2004 10.1631/jzus.2004.1069
- Dec , J. and Espey , C. Chemiluminescence Imaging of Autoignition in a DI Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 982685 1998 10.4271/982685