This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Knock and Emission Characteristics of Heavy-Duty HCNG Engine with Modified Compression Ratios
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Reduction of carbon dioxide (CO₂) emission, which causes global warming, is an important guideline for vehicle engine development. There are two types of methods for reducing the CO₂ emission of a vehicle engine. The first involves improving engine efficiency. The second involves the use of a low-carbon fuel, i.e., fuel with high hydrogen to carbon ratio. Hydrogen-compressed natural gas blend (HCNG) has been researched as a low-carbon fuel. Given that thermal efficiency of an engine cycle increases with its compression ratio (CR), an HCNG engine with high compression ratio not only has high efficiency but also low CO₂ emission. However, unexpected combustion such as knock could occur owing to the increased CR.
In this study, we investigated the knock and emission characteristics of an 11-L heavy-duty HCNG engine with a modified CR. A conventional CNG engine was fuelled with HCNG30 (CNG 70 vol% and hydrogen 30 vol%). The engine was operated at 1,260 rpm, under the wide open throttle condition, and with CRs of 10.5 and 11.5. The results showed that under a CR of 11.5, the engine's knock margin decreased because of higher in-cylinder pressure and temperature. Thermal efficiency improved with the increased CR, which caused a significant decrease in CO₂ emission. However, NOx emission increased slightly at a certain excess air-ratio condition.
CitationLim, G., Lee, S., Park, C., Choi, Y. et al., "Knock and Emission Characteristics of Heavy-Duty HCNG Engine with Modified Compression Ratios," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0845, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0845.
- Bae , C. S. and Jung , Y. J. Fuel Economy Improvement of Automotive Engines J. of KSME 34 1 39 45 2012
- Chiodi , M. , Ferrari , A. , Mack , O. , Bargende , M. , and Wichelhaus , D. A Way towards Remarkable Reduction of CO 2 Emissions in Motorsports: The CNG Engine SAE Technical Paper 2011-37-0006 2011 10.4271/2011-37-0006
- Subramanian , V. , Mallikarjuna , J. , and Ramesh , A. Performance, Emission and Combustion Characteristics of a Hydrogen Fueled SI engine - An Experimental Study SAE Technical Paper 2005-26-349 2005 10.4271/2005-26-349
- Akansu , S. O. , Dulger , Z. , Kahraman , N. , and Veziroğlu , T. N. Internal Combustion Engines Fueled by Natural Gas - Hydrogen Mixtures Int. J. of Hydrogen Energy 29 14 1527 1539 2004 10.1016/j.ijhydene.2004.01.018
- Ma , F. and Yu , W. Study on the Extension of Lean Operation Limit through Hydrogen Enrichment in a Natural Gas Spark-Ignition Engine Int. J. of Hydrogen Energy 33 4 1416 1424 2008 10.1016/j.ijhydene.2007.12.040
- Wang , X. , Zhang , H. , Yao , B. , Lei , Y. , Sun , X. , Wang , D. , and Ge , Y. Experimental Study on Factors Affecting Lean Combustion Limit of S.I Engine Fueled with Compressed Natural Gas and Hydrogen Blends Energy 38 1 58 65 2012 10.1016/j.energy.2011.12.042
- Nates , R. J. and Yates , A. D. B. Knock Damage Mechanisms in Spark-Ignition Engines SAE Technical Paper 942064 1994 10.4271/942064
- Fitton , J. and Nates , R. Knock Erosion in Spark-Ignition Engines SAE Technical Paper 962102 1996 10.4271/962102
- Park , C. , Kim , C. , Choi , Y. , Won , S. , and Moriyoshi Y. The influences of hydrogen on the performance and emission characteristics of a heavy duty natural gas engine Int. J. of Hydrogen Energy 36 5 3739 3745 2011 10.1016/j.ijhydene.2010.12.021
- Kuboyama , T. , Moriyoshi , Y. , Hatamura , K. , Takanashi , J. , Urata , Y. , and Yamada , T. Extension of Operating Range of a Multi-Cylinder Gasoline HCCI Engine using the Blowdown Supercharging System SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0896 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0896
- Eng , J.A. Characterization of Pressure Waves in HCCI Combustion SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2859 2002 10.4271/2002-01-2859
- Millo , F. and Ferraro , C.V. Knock in S.I. Engines: A Comparison between Different Techniques for Detection and Control SAE Technical Paper 982477 1998 10.4271/982477
- Worret , R. , Bernhardt , S. , Schwarz , F. , and Spicher , U. Application of Different Cylinder Pressure Based Knock Detection Methods in Spark Ignition Engines SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1668 2002 10.4271/2002-01-1668
- Christensen , M. , Johansson , B. , Amneus , P. , and Masuss , F. Supercharged Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition SAE Technical Paper 980787 1998 10.4271/980787
- Chirstensen , M. , Hultqvist , A. , and Johansson , B. Demonstrating the Multi Fuel Capability of a Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engine with Variable Compression Ratio SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-3679 1999 10.4271/1999-01-3679
- Rao N. D. Effect of variation in Compression Ratio on Performance, Combustion and Emissions Characteristics of Compression Ignition Engine Fuelled with Vegetable oil-Ethanol Emulsion Global J. of Researches in Eng. Mechanical and Mechanics Engineering 12 6 2012
- Kramer , F. , Schwarz , C. , and Witt , A. Effect of Compression Ratio on the Combustion of Pressure Charged Gasoline Direct Injection Engine SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0250 2000 10.4271/2000-01-0250