This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of High Porosity SiC-DPF Which is Compatible with High Robustness and Catalyst Coating Capability for SCR Coated DPF Application
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Diesel emission regulation becomes stringent more and more regarding both particulate matter (PM) and NOx in the worldwide. SCR coated DPF system is considered as one of the promising options for future diesel exhaust after-treatment because it has several benefits such as the downsizing of the system, quick light-off of the catalytic function due to mounting closed-couple position.
To integrate the SCR converter into the DPF, it is necessary to design the DPF substrate's porosity higher and pore size larger than conventional DPF to improve SCR catalyst coating capability. However to make the porosity higher will lose the robustness in general. Against these problems, it was studied to improve the high porosity DPF performances by applying the new technology to modify the thermal shock resistance property.
In this study, oxide film forming technology for the thermal shock resistance property modification was applied on the DPF substrate with 63% of porosity and 23um of mean pore size and evaluated soot mass limit, pressure loss and filtration efficiency. As the result, soot mass limit was increased to similar level with 57% porosity DPF because of thermal shock resistance coefficient was increased about 50% by oxide film forming on the surface of SiC porous material. The full-size high porosity DPF prototype was evaluated in the engine bench and it was confirmed that the high porosity SiC-DPF with oxide film forming technology had a possibility to achieve both the high SCR catalyst coating capability and high filtration efficiency after coating to meet Euro6 particle number emission limit to realize the SCR coated DPF system.
CitationOgyu, K., Ogasawara, T., Sato, H., Yamada, K. et al., "Development of High Porosity SiC-DPF Which is Compatible with High Robustness and Catalyst Coating Capability for SCR Coated DPF Application," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0840, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0840.
- Lee , J. , Paratore , M. , and Brown , D. Evaluation of Cu-Based SCR/DPF Technology for Diesel Exhaust Emission Control SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 1 1 96 101 2009 10.4271/2008-01-0072
- Cavataio , G. , Girard , J. , and Lambert , C. Cu/Zeolite SCR on High Porosity Filters: Laboratory and Engine Performance Evaluations SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0897 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0897
- Harth Klaus et.al. Smart Catalyst Technologies for Future Automotive Emission Control Internationales Wiener Motorensymposium 2012
- Ohno , K. , Taoka , N. , Furuta , T. , Kudo , A. et al. Characterization of High Porosity SiC-DPF SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0325 2002 10.4271/2002-01-0325
- Ohno , K. , Yamayose , K. , Sato , H. , and Ogyu , K. Further Durability Enhancement of Re-crystallized SiC-DPF SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0954 2004 10.4271/2004-01-0954