This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Assessment of Ear- and Tooth-Mounted Accelerometers as Representative of Human Head Response
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Monitoring head accelerations as an indicator of possible brain injury may lead to faster identification of injury and treatments. This study investigates the skull-coupling of a tri-axial accelerometer mounted to a back molar and compares it with a tri-axial accelerometer inserted in the boney ear canal. These tri-axial accelerometers were mounted to three post mortem human surrogate (PMHS) skulls, and compared with a rigid, skull-mounted laboratory sensor reference cube. Each specimen was subjected to both a high-g loading from a vertical drop tower and a low frequency cyclic loading from a shaker device. The specimens were subjected to an approximate 150g input acceleration on the drop tower, and up to 10g at a frequency of 9Hz on the shaker device. Each specimen was tested on all three of the anatomical axes on both the drop tower and the cyclic shaker. Both the tooth-mounted accelerometer and the ear-mounted accelerometer were in close agreement with each other, and compared favorably with the rigid reference accelerometers. The coupling of the tooth with the skull did produce an amplification of the resultant acceleration, but maintains the basic biofidelity required to develop a simple transfer function for the sensor data.
CitationChristopher, J., Sochor, M., Pellettiere, J., and Salzar, R., "Assessment of Ear- and Tooth-Mounted Accelerometers as Representative of Human Head Response," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0805, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0805.
- American Academy of Neurological Surgeons Sports-Related Head Injuries http://www.aans.org/Patient%20Information/Conditions%20and%20Treatments/Sports-Related%20Head%20Injury.aspx September 2011
- Fijalkowski , R.J. , Stemper , B.D. , Pintar , F.A. , Yoganandan , N. , Gennarelli , T.A. Influence of Angular Acceleration Duration on Functional Outcomes Following Mild Diffuse Brain Injury IRCOBI Conference 2007 Maastricht (The Netherlands) September 2007
- Yoganandan , N. , Li , J. , Zhang , J. , Pintar , F.A. , Gennarelli , T.A. Influence of angular acceleration-deceleration pulse shapes on regional brain strains Journal of Biomechanics 41 2253 2262 2008 10.1016/j.biomech.2008.04.019
- Hill , D. , Knox , T. , and Crockett , D. Monitoring Race Car Drivers Using Helmet and Head-Mounted Sensors SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-3557 2000 10.4271/2000-01-3557
- Begeman , P. , Melvin , J. , Troxel , T. , and Mellor , A. Frequency Response and Coupling of Earpiece Accelerometers in the Human Head SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3657 2006 10.4271/2006-01-3657
- Panzer , M , Bass , CR , Salzar , RS , Pellettiere , J , Myers , B. Evaluation of Ear-Mounted Sensors for Determining Impact Head Acceleration IRCOBI Conference 2009 United Kingdom September 2009
- Salzar , R. , Bass , C. , and Pellettiere , J. Improving Earpiece Accelerometer Coupling to the Head SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 1 1 1367 1381 2009 10.4271/2008-01-2978
- Ling , G. S.F. , Ecklund , J. M. Traumatic brain injury in modern war Current Opinion in Anesthesiology 24 124 130 2011 10.1097/ACO.0b013e32834458da
- Abel , S.M. Barriers to Hearing Conservation Programs in Combat Arms Occupations Aviation, Space, and Environmental Medicine 79 6 591 598 2008 10.3357/ASEM.2262.2008
- Duma , S. M. , Manoogian , S. J. , Bussone , W. R. , Brolinson , P. G. , Goforth , M. W. , Donnenwerth , J. J. , Greenwalk , R. M. , Chu , J. J. , Crisco , J. J. Analysis of Real-time Head Accelerations in Collegiate Football Players Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine 15 1 January 2005
- Manoogian , S. , McNeely , D. , Duma , S. , Brolinson , G. , Greenwalk , R. Head acceleration is less than 10 percent of helmet acceleration in football impacts Rocky Mountain Bioengineering Symposium & International ISA Biomedical Sciences Instrumentation Symposium Terre Haute, Indiana April 7 9 2006
- Shaw , CG. Parent , D. Purtsezov , S. Lessley , DJ. Shin , J. and Crandall , J. 2009 Impact response of restrained PMHS in frontal sled tests: skeletal deformation patterns under seat belt loading Stapp Car Crash Journal 53 1 48
- Clauser , C.E. , McConville , J.T. , Young , J.W. Weight, Volume, and Center of Mass of Segments of the Human Body Aerospace Medical Research Laboratory, Aerospace Medical Division, Air Force Systems Command Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio August 1969