This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Severe Frontal Collisions with Partial Overlap - Two Decades of Car Safety Development
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Frontal Severe Partial Overlap Collisions (SPOC) also called small overlap crashes pose special challenges with respect to structural design as well as occupant protection. In the early 1990s, the SPOC test method was developed addressing 20-40% overlap against a fixed rigid barrier with initial velocities up to 65 km/h. The knowledge gained has been used in the design of Volvo vehicles since then.
Important design principles include front side members orientated along the wheel envelopes together with a strong support structure utilizing a space frame principle with beams loaded mainly in tension and compression. This novel setup was first introduced in the 850-model in 1991 and has been refined and patented (2001) in later Volvo front structures.
Among the design principles are multiple front side members on each side, helping energy absorption efficiency and robustness. The upper side members absorb energy and also transfer the forces via the A-pillars into the roof and the reinforced body and door structures. The lower side members are connected by a cross member with balanced design combining strength and energy absorption using truss principles. The overall design is made to address loads in multiple directions as well as mitigate front wheel intrusion into the passenger compartment.
Real world data, complemented with laboratory testing, show that the improvements have substantial effect on occupant protection, reducing overall injuries over the years and reducing footwell intrusion related injuries specifically.
|Journal Article||Comparison of Dummy Kinematics and Injury Response between WorldSID and ES-2 in Side Impact|
|Technical Paper||Assessment Metric Identification and Evaluation for Side Airbag (SAB) Development|
- Lotta Jakobsson - Volvo Car Corporation
- Graeme McInally - Volvo Car Corporation
- Anders Axelson - Volvo Car Corporation
- Magdalena Lindman - Volvo Car Corporation
- Anders Kling - Volvo Car Corporation
- Thomas Broberg - Volvo Car Corporation
- Mikael Fermér - Volvo Car Corporation
- Linus Wågström - Volvo Car Corporation
CitationJakobsson, L., McInally, G., Axelson, A., Lindman, M. et al., "Severe Frontal Collisions with Partial Overlap - Two Decades of Car Safety Development," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0759, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0759.
- Planath , I. , Norin , H. , and Nilsson , S. Severe Frontal Collisions with Partial Overlap - Significance, Test Methods and Car Design SAE Technical Paper 930636 1993 10.4271/930636
- Hobbs C The Need for Improved Structural Integrity in Frontal Car Impacts Proc of the 13th ESV Conference, Paper no. S9-O-12 1991
- O'Neill B , Lund AK , Zuby DS , Preuss CA Offset Frontal Impacts - a Comparison of Real-World Crashes with Laboratory Tests Proc of the 14th ESV, Paper no. 94-S4-O-19 Munchen, Germany 1994
- Scheunert D , Justen R Herrmann R , Zeidler F , Decker J , Kallina I What is Realistic Frontal Offset Test Procedure International Conference on Biomechanics of Impacts (Ircobi) 1992
- Kullgren A , Ydenius A Front Impacts with Small Overlap; Real Life Data from Crash Recorder Proc. of the 16th ESV Conference, Paper No. 98-S1-O-13 Windsor, Ontario, Canada 1998
- Lindquist M , Hall A , Bjornstig U Car Structural Characteristics of Fatal Frontal Crashes in Sweden International Journal of Crashworthiness 2004 9 6 587 597
- Brumbelow ML , Zuby DS Impact and Injury Patterns in Frontal Crashes of Vehicles with good Ratings for Frontal Crash Protection Proc of the 21st ESV Conference, Paper No. 09-0257 Stuttgart, Germany 2009
- Rudd RW. Bean J , Cuentas C , Kahane CJ , Mynatt M , Wiacek C A Study of the Factors Affecting Fatalities of Air Bag and Belt-restrained Occupants in Frontal Crashes Proc of the 21st ESV Conference ESV, Paper No. 09-0555 Stuttgart, Germany 2009
- Sherwood CP , Nolan JM , Zuby DS Characteristics of Small Overlap Crashes Proc of the 21st ESV Conference ESV, Paper No. 09-0423 Stuttgart, Germany 2009
- Eichberger A , Schimpl W , Werber C , Steffan H A New Crash Test Configuration for Car-to-Car Frontal Collisions with Small Lateral Overlap International Journal of Crashworthiness 2007 12 2 93 100
- Bean JD , Kahane CJ , Mynatt M , Rudd RW , Rush CJ , Wiacek C Fatalities in Frontal Crashes despite Seat Belts and Air Bags - Review of all CDS Cases - Model and Calendar Years 2000-2007 - 122 fatalities DOT HS 811 102 National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Washington, DC 2009
- IIHS (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) Status Report, Small Overlap Crashes 47 6 2012
- NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) Vehicle Safety Rulemaking & Research Priority Plan 2009-2011 Docket ID NHTSA-2009-0108-0023 Washington, DC November 2009
- Saunders J , Craig MJ , Suway J NHTSA's Test Procedure Evaluations for Small Overlap/Oblique Crashes Proc of the 22nd ESV Conference, Paper No. 11-0343 Washington, USA 2011
- Saunders , J. , Craig , M. , and Parent , D. Moving Deformable Barrier Test Procedure for Evaluating Small Overlap/Oblique Crashes SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 5 1 172 195 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0577
- Pintar FA , Yoganandan N , Maiman DJ Injury Mechanisms and Severity in Narrow Offset Frontal Impacts Proc of the 52nd Annual Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine Conference (AAAM) 2008
- Scullion P , Morgan RM , Hohan P , Kan C , Shanks K , Jin W , Tangirala R A Reexamination of the Small Overlap Frontal Crash Proc of the 54th Annual Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine Conference (AAAM) 2010
- Rudd RW. Scarboro M , Saunders J Injury Analysis of Real-World Small Overlap and Oblique Frontal Crashes Proc of the 22nd ESV Conference, Paper No. 11-0384 Washington, DC 2011
- Forssell J , Tonnqvist A , Moberg M , Swahn M , Strandberg E , Stoddart T , Jonsell S , Wedel M , Weiman M , Broberg T Axially Loaded Arrangement for a Motor Vehicle Frame US Patent 2002/0093221 January 2002
- Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine (AAAM) The Abbreviated Injury Scale 1985 Des Plaines IL, USA 1985
- Isaksson-Hellman I and Norin H How Thirty Years of Focused Safety Development has Influenced Injury Outcome in Volvo Cars Proc of the 49th Annual Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine Conference (AAAM) Boston, USA 2005
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Standard Collision Deformation Classification SAE Standard J224 March 1980
- Lindquist M Fatal Car Crash Configurations and Injury Panorama - with Special Emphasis on the Function of Restraint System Umeå University Medical Dissertations, New series No ISSN 0346-6612-1079, SBM 978-91-7264-247-8 Department of Surgical and Perioperative Science, Umeå University Umeå 2007
- Törnvall FV , Holmqvist K , Davidsson J , Svensson MY , Gugler J , Steffan H , Haland Y Evaluation of Dummy Shoulder Kinematics in Oblique Frontal Collisions International Conference on Biomechanics of Impacts (Ircobi) 2008