This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Advanced Thermal Management of a Light Duty Diesel Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The paper presents a thermal management development capability and approach that was put in place to understand the relative benefit of various thermal components, layouts and control strategies. The use of the approach on a modern diesel powered vehicle is given. Thermal performance along with associated fuel economy improvements are shown over various test cycles including the FTP and US06. Results are given for a GT-Suite simulation as well as on vehicle.
CitationShutty, J., Wenzel, W., Becker, M., Bohan, S. et al., "Advanced Thermal Management of a Light Duty Diesel Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0546, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0546.
- Negandhi, V. and Shutty, J., “Active Thermal Management Strategy for a V6 Diesel Engine using a Dual Mode Coolant Pump, Electric Thermostat and a Viscous Clutch Fan Drive,” SAE International Thermal Management Systems Symposium, Nov. 2012.
- Keller, P., Wenzel, W., Becker, M., Roby, J., “Development and Optimization of a Hybrid Coolant Pump layout with 1D-Thermal Simulation,” MTZ, November 2010
- Cortona, E. and Onder, C., “Engine Thermal Management with Electric Cooling Pump,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0965, 2000, doi: 10.4271/2000-01-0965.
- Allen, D. and Lasecki, M., “Thermal Management Evolution and Controlled Coolant Flow,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1732, 2001, doi: 10.4271/2001-01-1732.
- Wagner, J., Ghone, M., Dawson, D., and Marotta, E., “Coolant Flow Control Strategies for Automotive Thermal Management Systems,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0713, 2002, doi: 10.4271/2002-01-0713.
- Wagner, J., Srinivasan, V., Dawson, D., and Marotta, E., “Smart Thermostat and Coolant Pump Control for Engine Thermal Management Systems,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0272, 2003, doi: 10.4271/2003-01-0272.
- Chalgren, R., “Thermal Comfort and Engine Warm-Up Optimization of a Low-Flow Advanced Thermal Management System,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0047, 2004, doi: 10.4271/2004-01-0047.
- Cho, H., Jung, D., Filipi, Z., Assanis, D., et al., “Application of Controllable Electric Coolant Pump for Fuel Economy and Cooling Performance Improvement”, Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power. 129(1):239-244, 2007, doi: 10.1115/1.2227035.
- Keller, P., Wenzel, W., Becker, M., and Roby, J., “Coupled Thermal-Engine Simulation for a Light Duty Application,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0806, 2010, doi: 10.4271/2010-01-0806.
- Bateson, R., “Introduction to Control System Technology”, Prentice Hall, New Jersey, ISBN 0-13-895483-6:210-212, 1999.