This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Soot Loading Estimation Accuracy Improvement by Filtration Layer Forming on DPF and New Algorithm of Pressure Loss Measurement
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A diesel particulate filter (DPF) is a key component for reduction of engine soot emission. The soot collected in the DPF is periodically burned off, so-called DPF regeneration, and a behavior of the pressure drop increased by the soot loading is generally utilized to estimate the amount, which must be a trigger of the regeneration. However, it is said that the estimation of the soot loading amount has considerable dispersion caused by two main reasons. One is hysteresis of the transient pressure drop resulted from the combination of so-called deep-bed and cake filtration modes. The other is a fluctuation of exhaust gas temperature and flow rate as well as a pulsation from the engine. In this study, the accurate estimation method of the soot amount accumulated in the DPF was proposed in combination with filtration layers (FLs) technology and a new algorithm based on fast Fourier transform (FFT) technology. The FLs enable to prevent the deep-bed filtration mode and bring an advantage of repeatability of the transient pressure drop. The new algorithm allows us to transform the measured pressure drop into the exact values by eliminating the aforementioned fluctuation and pulsation. According to verification tests of these technologies through an engine bench, it was found that the former and the latter improved the hysteresis and the linearity of the pressure drop respectively. As a result, the dispersion of the estimation of the soot amount was considerably improved and became less than ± 1 g/L.
- Kazutake Ogyu - Ibiden Co Ltd
- Takashi Yamakawa - Ibiden Co Ltd
- Yasuhiro Ishii - Ibiden Co Ltd
- Daisuke MInoura - Ibiden Co Ltd
- Yuichi Nagatsu - Ibiden Co Ltd
- Takafumi Kasuga - Ibiden Co Ltd
- Kazushige Ohno - Ibiden Co Ltd
- Kazutake Ogyu - Ibiden Co., Ltd.
- Takashi Yamakawa - Ibiden Co., Ltd.
- Yasuhiro Ishii - Ibiden Co., Ltd.
- Daisuke MInoura - Ibiden Co., Ltd.
- Yuichi Nagatsu - Ibiden Co., Ltd.
- Takafumi Kasuga - Ibiden Co., Ltd.
- Kazushige Ohno - Ibiden Co., Ltd.
CitationOgyu, K., Yamakawa, T., Ishii, Y., MInoura, D. et al., "Soot Loading Estimation Accuracy Improvement by Filtration Layer Forming on DPF and New Algorithm of Pressure Loss Measurement," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0525, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0525.
- Nakamura , K. , Vlachos , N. , Konstandopoulos , A. , Iwata , H. et al. Performance Improvement of Diesel Particulate Filter by Layer Coating SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0842 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0842
- Konstandopoulos , A. , Kostoglou , M. , Vlachos , N. , and Kladopoulou , E. Progress in Diesel Particulate Filter Simulation SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0946 2005 10.4271/2005-01-0946
- Konstandopoulos , A.G. , Kostoglou , M. , Vlachos , N. , and Kladopoulou , E. Advances in the Science and Technology of Diesel Particulate Filter Simulation Advances in Chemical Engineering 33 213 294 2008 10.1016/S0065-2377(07)33004-4
- Papaioannou , E. , and Konstandopoulos , A.G. Update on the Science and Technology of Diesel Particulate Filters KONA Powder and Particle Journal 26 36 65 2008