This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A New Method for Characterization of Porous Structure without Mercury; Application to Porous Materials of Diesel Particulate Filters
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Mercury porosimetry (MP) is one of the analytical methods to measure the porosity and the pore size distribution of porous materials. We have developed a new method of digital mercury porosimetry (DMP) for characterizing the porous structure by simulating the measuring processes of MP without using any mercury. Firstly, the contact angle between the mercury and the substance surfaces is theoretically calculated by quantum chemical molecular dynamics. Secondly, a group of images showing the porous structure is obtained with an X-ray computed tomography scanner, and then a three-dimensional digital model is reconstructed connecting the pores/substances boundaries between each image. Thirdly, mercury intrusion which is a fundamental process of the MP method is digitally simulated. The digital mercury intrudes into pores of the digital model from its circumference with the theoretically calculated contact angle. Both the intruded volume and the corresponding pressure virtually applied to the digital mercury are simultaneously measured step by step. Finally, the pore size distribution as well as the porosity of each continuous and closed pore is obtained with the Washburn equation. As a result of the comparison of measured results between MP and DMP methods in applying to a porous material of diesel particulate filters, similarities such as the number of peaks, peak positions and spans in the pore size distributions have been found. Additionally, the porosity and the average pore diameter were 50.13% and 19.10 μm with DMP in comparison with 51.08% and 20.02 μm with MP, respectively.
CitationNakamura, K., Ohno, K., Koyama, M., Miyamoto, A. et al., "A New Method for Characterization of Porous Structure without Mercury; Application to Porous Materials of Diesel Particulate Filters," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0457, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0457.
- Allen , T. Surface Area and Pore Size Determination 5th ed. Chapman and Hall New York 1997
- Rouquerol , J. , Avnir , D. , Fairbridge , C. W. , Everett , D. H. , Haynes , J. H. , Pernicone , N. , Ramsay , J. D. F. , Sing , K. S. W. , and Unger , K. K. Recommendations for the characterization of porous solids Pure Appl. Chem. 66 8 1739 1758 1994
- Ohno , K. , Shimato , K. , Taoka , N. , Santae , H. et al. Characterization of SiC-DPF for Passenger Car SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0185 2000 10.4271/2000- 01-0185
- Lowell , S. J. , and Shields , E. Powder Surface Area and Porosity, 3rd ed. Chapman and Hall New York 1991
- Washburn , E. W. The Dynamics of Capillary Flow Phys. Rev. 17 273 283 1921
- National Astronomical Observatory Chronological Scientific Tables 2010 Maruzen Co., Ltd. 2010
- León y León , C. A. New perspectives in mercury porosimetry Advances in Colloid and Interface Science 76-77 341 372 1998
- Good , R. J. , and Stromberg , R. R. Surface and Colloid Science 11 Plenum Press New York 1979
- Anderson , J. R. , and Pratt , K. C. Introduction to Characterization and Testing of Catalysts Academic Press New York 1985
- Bond , R. L. Porous Carbon Solids Academic Press New York 1967
- Winslow , N. , and Diamond , S. A mercury porosimetry study of the evolution of porosity in portland cement J. Mater. 5 564 585 1970
- Winslow , D. N. , and Shapiro , J. J. An Instrument for the Measurement of Pore-Size Distribution by Mercury Penetration ASTM Bull. 49 39 44 1959
- Elanany , M. , Selvam , P. , Yokosuka , T. , Takami , S. , Kubo , M. , Imamura , A. , and Miyamoto , A. A Quantum Molecular Dynamics Simulation Study of the Initial Hydrolysis Step in Sol-Gel Process J. Phys. Chem. B 107 7 1518 1524 2003 10.1021/jp026816z
- Ishimoto , R. , Jung , C. , Tsuboi , H. , Koyama , M. , Endou , A. , Kubo , M. , Del Carpio , C. A. , and Miyamoto , A. Periodic density functional and tight-binding quantum chemical molecular dynamics study of catalytic properties on γ-Al2O3 supported Pt catalysts Applied Catalysis A: General 305 1 64 69 2006 10.1016/j.apcata.2006.02.049
- Kasahara , K. , Tsuboi , H. , Koyama , M. , Endou , A. , Kubo , M. , Del Carpio , C. A. , and Miyamoto , A. Tight-Binding Quantum Chemical Molecular Dynamics Study on First Proton Transfer Process of ORR Catalyzed by Cobalt-Porphyrin Complex Electrochem. Solid-State Lett. 9 A490 2006 10.1149/1.2336985
- Young , T. Peacock G. Miscellaneous Works 1 J. Murray London 1855