This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Decarburization Effects on Fatigue Behavior of Leaf Spring Material
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Decarburization occurs on heat treated components. At leaf spring manufacturers, the occurrence of decarburization, which has a negative impact on fatigue, starts at hot rolled leaf spring steel raw materials' production process. The decarburization rate of the raw material, which is taken through a heat treatment, increases during the leaf spring manufacturing process.
Through metallographic analyses and experimental tests, this study manifests how leaf spring's resistance to fatigue is affected by the correlation of ferrite structure occurred by decarburization on heat treated leaf springs, the surface hardness, and the permanent surface tension to be occurred during the shot peening process.
This study conveys the techniques that can be applied to obtain low decarburization in leaf spring manufacturing, and the improvements achieved through optimization of high temperature treatment times of materials through use of thermographic survey at heat treatment furnaces.
|Journal Article||Mapping Residual Stress Distributions in Advanced High Strength Steel Automotive Body Panels and Structural Components|
|Technical Paper||Lightweight Leaf Springs|
CitationKaraagac, M., Soner, M., Togay, A., Keskin, A. et al., "Decarburization Effects on Fatigue Behavior of Leaf Spring Material," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0392, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0392.
- Heat treatment and processing principles ASM International 1990
- Moiseev et.al. Thermodynamic Activity of Carbon in Recarburizing Central Scientific-Research Institute of Metallurgy, Translated from Metallovedenie Termicheskaya Obrabotka, No.1 21 26 Jan 1974
- A Modern Look at Decarburization Wright Roger N. August 16 2010 Control of Decarburization of Steel Shefsiek Paul
- ISO 3887 2003 Steels - Determination of depth of decarburization
- ASM International Handbook, Volume4 Heat Treating November 1997