This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Estimation of Main Combustion Parameters from the Measured Instantaneous Crankshaft Speed
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The increased interest for using alternative fuels in modern diesel engines requires better combustion control to achieve safe and efficient operation with fuels characterized by different physical and chemical properties. Knowing the ignition delay and the cylinder peak pressure will allow adapting the injection strategy, mainly injection timing to maintain good engine efficiency when operating with different alternative fuels. The use of the measured instantaneous crankshaft speed to estimate peak cylinder pressure and ignition delay is very attractive because speed is already a parameter in the ECU of the engine. Based on models using powertrain dynamics, the paper presents the development of several techniques using the measured speed to estimate the main combustion parameters for single cylinder and four cylinder diesel engines.
CitationMocanu, F. and Taraza, D., "Estimation of Main Combustion Parameters from the Measured Instantaneous Crankshaft Speed," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0326, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0326.
- Ponti , F. , Ravaglioli , V. , Serra , G. , and Stola , F. Instantaneous Engine Speed Measurement and Processing for MFB50 Evaluation SAE Int. J. Engines 2 2 235 244 2010 10.4271/2009-01-2747
- Brand , D. , Onder , C. , and Guzzella , L. Estimation of the Instantaneous In-Cylinder Pressure for Control Purposes using Crankshaft Angular Velocity SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0228 2005 10.4271/2005-01-0228
- Kallenberger , C. , Hamedović , H. , Raichle , F. , Breuninger , J. et al. Estimation of Cylinder-Wise Combustion Features from Engine Speed and Cylinder Pressure SAE Int. J. Engines 1 1 198 207 2009 10.4271/2008-01-0290
- Taglialatela , F. , Cesario , N. , Lavorgna , M. , Merola , S. et al. Use of Engine Crankshaft Speed for Determination of Cylinder Pressure Parameters SAE Technical Paper 2009-24-0108 2009 10.4271/2009-24-0108
- Guezennec , Y. and Gyan , P. A Novel Approach to Real-Time Estimation of the Individual Cylinder Combustion Pressure for S.I. Engine Control SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0209 1999 10.4271/1999-01-0209
- Taraza , D. , Henein , N. , and Bryzik , W. Determination of the Gas-Pressure Torque of a Multicylinder Engine from Measurements of the Crankshaft's Speed Variation SAE Technical Paper 980164 1998 10.4271/980164
- Taraza , D. Quantifying Relationships Between the Crankshaft's Speed Variation and the Gas Pressure Torque SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1007 2001 10.4271/2001-01-1007
- Taraza , D. Statistical Model and Simulation of Engine Torque and Speed Correlation SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3686 2001 10.4271/2001-01-3686
- Taraza , D. Accuracy Limits of IMEP Determination from Crankshaft Speed Mesurements SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0331 2002 10.4271/2002-01-0331
- Cylinder Pressure Reconstruction from Crankshaft Speed Measurements in a Four-Stroke Single Cylinder Diesel Engine Taraza Dinu , Henein Naeim A. , Gade Mangesh J. - Wayne State University, Detroit, USA and Walter Bryzik US Army TARDEC, Warren, Michigan, USA ASME 2005 Internal Combustion Engine Division Spring Technical Conference (ICES2005) / Paper no. ICES2005-1023 387 395 ICES2005-1023
- Effect of Biodiesel, JP-8 and Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel on Autoignition, Combustion, Performance and Emissions in a Single Cylinder Diesel Engine Jayakumar Chandrasekharan , Nargunde Jagdish , Sinha Anubhav , Bryzik Walter , Henein Naeim A. - Wayne State University, Detroit, MI, USA and Sattler Eric - US Army Tank Automotive Research Development and Engineering Center, Detroit, MI, USA Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power February 2012 134 022801-11 10.1115/1.4003971
- Syntroleum material safety data sheet: S-8 Synthetic jet fuel http://www.syntroleum.com/profiles/investor/fullpage.asp?f=1&BzID=2029&to=cp&Nav=0&LangID=1&s=0&ID=11912
- Southwest Research Institute Petroleum products research department test report Nov 4 2011
- United States Environmental Protection Agency The Effect of Cetane number Increase Due to Additives on NOx Emissions from Heavy-Duty Highway Engines Final Technical Report, EPA420-R-03-002 February 2003
- Multi-fuel operation of modern engines; on board fuel identification Mocanu Florin - Wayne State University, Detroit, USA 2012 Wayne State University Dissertation 493 http://digitalcommons.wayne.edu/oa_dissertations/493