This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fuel and Immission Potential of Context Aware Engine Control
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper shows the potential of a multicalibration approach for reducing fuel consumption while keeping pollutant immissions. The paper demonstrates that the current engine control approach with a single fixed calibration involves important fuel penalties in areas with low vehicle densities where local pollution is not an issue, while the NOx emissions in urban areas are usually too high to fulfill air quality standards. The proposed strategy is based on using information about the vehicle location and the NOx concentrations in the ambient to choose a suitable calibration amongst a set of possibilities. To assess the potential of such a strategy experimental tests have been done with a state-of-art turbocharged Diesel engine. First, a design of experiments is used to obtain three different calibrations. The first one is aimed to minimize NOx emissions with some constraints in the actuations, the second one, is focused on minimizing fuel consumption with constraints in the maximum NOx emissions allowed, while the third one minimized fuel consumption without NOx restrictions. Then a set of driving conditions, containing both standard cycles and real driving cycles are tested in an engine-in-the-loop approach to evaluate the engine performance and emissions with the developed calibrations. Finally, the combination of the obtained calibrations shows that fuel consumption in non-urban areas can be reduced about a 6% without damaging the air quality, while fuel penalties around 2% are necessary to keep air quality standards in metropolitan areas.
CitationPla, B., Waschl, H., del Re, L., and Guardiola, C., "Fuel and Immission Potential of Context Aware Engine Control," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0306, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0306.
- Nilsson , T. , Froberg , A. , and Aslund , J. , Optimal Operation of a Turbocharged Diesel Engine during Transients SAE Int. J. Engines 5 2 571 578 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0711
- Guzzella , L. and Onder , C. , Past, Present and Future of Automotive Control”, Control of uncertain systems: modeling, approximation and design Lecture Notes in Control and Information Sciences 2006 329 2006 163 182 10.1007/11664550_9
- Wang R. and Lukic S.M. Review of Driving Conditions Prediction and Driving Style Recognition Based Control Algorithms for Hybrid Electric Vehicles Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference (VPPC), 2011 IEEE, 6-9 September Raleigh, NC, USA 2011 1 7
- Conselleria d'Infraestructures, Territori i Medi Ambient. Generalitat Valenciana. Datos históricos de la Red de Vigilancia y Control de la Contaminación Atmosférica http://www.cma.gva.es/web/indice.aspx?nodo=38&idioma=C
- Official Journal of the European Communities Council Directive 1999/30/EC of 22 April 1999 relating to limit values for sulphur dioxide, nitrogen dioxide and oxides of nitrogen, particulate matter and lead in ambient air //faolex.fao.org/docs/pdf/eur38299.pdf
- Carslaw , D.C. Evidence of an increasing NO2/NOx emissions ratio from road traffic emissions Atmospheric Environment 39 2005 4793 4802
- Ministerio de Fomento. Gobierno de España. Trafico en la red de carreteras del estado y red autonómica prioritaria. Año 2011 http://www.fomento.gob.es/MFOM/LANG_CASTELLANO/DIRECCIONES_GENERALES/CARRETERAS/TR AFICO_VELOCIDADES/MAPAS/2010/
- Arsie , I. , De Franceschi , F. , Pianese , C. , and Rizzo , G. , ODECS - A Computer Code for the Optimal Design of S.I. Engine Control Strategies SAE Technical Paper 960359 1996 10.4271/960359
- Lejeune , M. , Every drop counts. Most promising research paths to exceed 50% efficiency with heavy-duty engines Thiesel Conference 2012: Thermo-and fluid dynamic processes in direct injection engines September 11 14 th 2012 Valencia (Spain)
- Castagné , M. , Bentolila , Y. , Chaudoye , F. , Hallé , A. , Nicolás , F. and Sinoquet , D. , Comparison of Engine Calibration Methods Based on Design of Experiments (DoE) Oil & Gas Science and Technology - Rev. IFP 63 2008 4 563 582
- Langouet , H. , Metivier , L. , Sinoquet , D. and Tran , Q. , Optimization for engine calibration International Conference on Engineering Optimization. EngOpt 2008 (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil) 1 10 01 05 June 2008
- de Aguiar , P. , Bourguignon , B. , Khots , M. , Massart , D. and Phan-Than-Luu , R. , D-optimal designs Chemometrics and Intelligent Laboratory Systems 30 199 210 1995
- Mathworks, Model-Based Calibration Toolbox Getting Started Guide. Matlab & Simulink R2011b. Mathworks 2011