This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Efficiency and Emissions Mapping of RCCI in a Light-Duty Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In-cylinder blending of gasoline and diesel to achieve Reactivity Controlled Compression Ignition (RCCI) has been shown to reduce NOX and particulate matter (PM) emissions while maintaining or improving brake thermal efficiency as compared to conventional diesel combustion (CDC). The RCCI concept has an advantage over many advanced combustion strategies in that the fuel reactivity can be tailored to the engine speed and load allowing stable low-temperature combustion to be extended over more of the light-duty drive cycle load range. Varying the premixed gasoline fraction changes the fuel reactivity stratification in the cylinder providing further control of combustion phasing and pressure rise rate than the use of EGR alone. This added control over the combustion process has been shown to allow rapid engine operating point exploration without direct modeling guidance.
This paper explores the efficiency, emissions and combustion characteristics of RCCI with gasoline and ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel over a wide speed and load range in a light-duty multi-cylinder diesel engine leading to the creation of an RCCI engine map. The RCCI map was developed under self-imposed constraints which included a maximum cylinder pressure rise rate of 10 bar/deg and a CO emission limit of 5000 ppm. The RCCI map was developed using a mix of single and split diesel injections without the use of EGR for best brake thermal efficiency with lowest possible NOX emissions. RCCI emissions and performance results are compared to CDC on the same base diesel engine.
CitationCurran, S., Hanson, R., Wagner, R., and Reitz, R., "Efficiency and Emissions Mapping of RCCI in a Light-Duty Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0289, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0289.
- Sluder , C. , Wagner , R. , Storey , J. , and Lewis , S. Implications of Particulate and Precursor Compounds Formed During High-Efficiency Clean Combustion in a Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3844 2005 10.4271/2005-01-3844
- Wagner , R. , Green , J. , Dam , T. , Edwards , K. et al. Simultaneous Low Engine-Out NOx and Particulate Matter with Highly Diluted Diesel Combustion SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0262 2003 10.4271/2003-01-0262
- Sluder , C. , Wagner , R. , Lewis , S. , and Storey , J. Fuel Property Effects on Emissions from High Efficiency Clean Combustion in a Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0080 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0080
- Sluder , C. and Wagner , R. An Estimate of Diesel High-Efficiency Clean Combustion Impacts on FTP-75 Aftertreatment Requirements SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3311 2006 10.4271/2006-01-3311
- Kokjohn , S. , Hanson , R. , Splitter , D. , and Reitz , R. Experiments and Modeling of Dual-Fuel HCCI and PCCI Combustion Using In-Cylinder Fuel Blending SAE Int. J. Engines 2 2 24 39 2010 10.4271/2009-01-2647
- Manente , V. , Johansson , B. , and Tunestal , P. Partially Premixed Combustion at High Load using Gasoline and Ethanol, a Comparison with Diesel SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0944 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0944
- Chadwell , C. , Alger , T. , Roberts , C. , and Arnold , S. Boosting Simulation of High Efficiency Alternative Combustion Mode Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 375 393 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0358
- Hanson , R. , Kokjohn , S. , Splitter , D. , and Reitz , R. An Experimental Investigation of Fuel Reactivity Controlled PCCI Combustion in a Heavy-Duty Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 3 1 700 716 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0864
- Cho , K. , Han , M. , Wagner , R. , and Sluder , C. Mixed-Source EGR for Enabling High Efficiency Clean Combustion Modes in a Light-Duty Diesel Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 1 1 457 465 2009 10.4271/2008-01-0645
- Curran , S. , Prikhodko , V. , Cho , K. , Sluder , C. et al. In-Cylinder Fuel Blending of Gasoline/Diesel for Improved Efficiency and Lowest Possible Emissions on a Multi-Cylinder Light-Duty Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-2206 2010 10.4271/2010-01-2206
- Curran , S. , Cho , K. , Briggs , T. , and Wagner , R. Drive Cycle Efficiency and Emissions Estimates for Reactivity Controlled Compression Ignition in a Multi-Cylinder Light-Duty Diesel Engine Proceedings of the 2011 Internal Combustion Engine Division Fall Technical Conference, ICEF2011 Morgantown Wv 2011
- Splitter , D. , Hanson , R. , Kokjohn , S. , and Reitz , R. Reactivity Controlled Compression Ignition (RCCI) Heavy-Duty Engine Operation at Mid-and High-Loads with Conventional and Alternative Fuels SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0363 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0363
- Curran , S. , Hanson , R. , and Wagner , R. Effect of E85 on RCCI Performance and Emissions on a Multi-Cylinder Light-Duty Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0376 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0376
- Curran , S. , Hanson , R. , and Wagner , R. Reactivity controlled compression ignition (RCCI) combustion on a multi-cylinder light-duty diesel engine International Journal of Engine Research 2012 13 3 216 225 10.1177
- Hanson , R. , Curran , S. , Wagner , R. , Kokjohn , S. et al. Piston Bowl Optimization for RCCI Combustion in a Light-Duty Multi-Cylinder Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 5 2 286 299 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0380
- Prikhodko , V. , Curran , S. , Barone , T. , Lewis , S. et al. Emission Characteristics of a Diesel Engine Operating with In-Cylinder Gasoline and Diesel Fuel Blending SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 3 2 946 955 2010 10.4271/2010-01-2266
- Barone , T. , Storey , J. , Prikhodko , V. , Curran , S. , Parks , J. , and Wagner , R. Particle Emissions Reduction by In-Cylinder Blending of Gasoline and Diesel Fuel 21st CRC Real World Emissions Workshop San Diego Ca 2011
- Curran , S. , Szybist , J. , and Wagner , R. Reactivity Controlled Compression Ignition Performance with Renewable Fuels ICEF2012-92192, Proceedings of the ASME 2012 Internal Combustion Engine Division Fall Technical Conference, ICEF2012 September 23 26 2012 Vancouver, BC, Canada 2012
- Hanson , R. , Curran , S. , Wagner , R. , and Reitz , R. Effects of Biofuel Blends on Light-Duty Multi-Cylinder RCCI Operation SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1653 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1653
- AVL FLEXIFEM Noise Product Description https://www.avl.com/c/document_library/get_file?uuid=63dbe55f-f622-49f5-ac67-ce0bf5917c40&groupId=10138