This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Direct In-cylinder Injection of Water into a PI Hydrogen Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Injecting liquid water into a fuel/air charge is a means to reduce NOx emissions. Such strategies are particularly important to hydrogen internal combustion engines, as engine performance (e.g., maximum load) can be limited by regulatory limits on NOx. Experiments were conducted in this study to quantify the effects of direct injection of water into the combustion chamber of a port-fueled, hydrogen IC engine. The effects of DI water injection on NOx emissions, load, and engine efficiency were determined for a broad range of water injection timing. The amount of water injected was varied, and the results were compared with baseline data where no water injection was used. Water injection was a very effective means to reduce NOx emissions. Direct injection of water into the cylinder reduced NOx emissions by 95% with an 8% fuel consumption penalty, and NOx emissions were reduced by 85% without any fuel consumption penalty.
|Technical Paper||Knock and Emission Characteristics of Heavy-Duty HCNG Engine with Modified Compression Ratios|
|Technical Paper||Performance and Emissions of a Turbocharged Spark Ignition Engine Fuelled with CNG and CNG/Hydrogen Blends|
CitationYounkins, M., Wooldridge, M., and Boyer, B., "Direct In-cylinder Injection of Water into a PI Hydrogen Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0227, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0227.
- Blaxill , H. , Reader , S. , Mackay , S. , Lerch , B. et al. Development of a Friction Optimized Engine SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1052 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1052
- Younkins M. Improving the Efficiency of the Hydrogen Engine University of Michigan 2012
- Nande , A. , Wallner , T. , and Naber , J. Influence of Water Injection on Performance and Emissions of a Direct-Injection Hydrogen Research Engine SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2377 2008 10.4271/2008-01-2377
- Subramanian V. , Mallikarjuna J. M. Ramesh A. Effect of water injection and spark timing on the nitric oxide emission and combustion parameters of a hydrogen fuelled spark ignition engine International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 32 9 1159 2007
- Bleechmore , C. and Brewster , S. Dilution Strategies for Load and NOx Management in a Hydrogen Fuelled Direct Injection Engine SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-4097 2007 10.4271/2007-01-4097