This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Case Studies of Parking Brake Fires in Commercial Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper will focus on three case study examples of commercial vehicle wheel end fires that were caused by operating the vehicles with the parking brakes applied. Because it analyzes the most commonly utilized conventional air/drum brake systems in the US market, this analysis is applicable to most heavy duty trucks, tractors, semi-trailers, and buses equipped with air drum brake systems and dual wheel/tire combinations at the wheel ends. This paper will outline and illustrate the vehicle components analyzed, the typical fire patterns observed, and the methodologies used to help determine the correct origin, and when to correctly relate the cause of the fire to the operation of the vehicle with the parking brakes applied. The case studies include a 6×4 tractor equipped with two parking brake chambers, a 6×4 tractor with four parking brake chambers, and a single axle semi-trailer with two parking brake chambers.
|Journal Article||The Influence of Disablement of Various Brakes on the Dry Stopping Performance and Stability of a Tractor-Semitrailer|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Truck Tractor Semitrailer Interchange Coupling Dimensions|
CitationParrott, K. and Stahl, D., "Case Studies of Parking Brake Fires in Commercial Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0207, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-0207.
- NFPA 921 Guide for Fire & Explosion Investigations 2011 National Fire Protection Association Quincy, MA 02169
- Pearlman , Jonathan , and Meltzer Neil Risk of Commercial Truck Fires in the United States: An Exploratory Data Analysis Proc. of Fires in Vehicles, FIVE 2012 Chicago, USA
- Karter , Michael J. Fire Loss in the United States During 2010 National Fire Protection Association 2011
- NFPA U.S. Vehicle Fire Trends and Patterns Quincy, MA National Fire Protection Association July 2008
- Karter , Michael J. Fire Loss in the United Sates During 2010 National Fire Protection Association 2011
- Bendix Air Brake Systems Product School Huntington, IN Bendix Honeywell
- Buckman , L. C. Commercial Vehicle Braking Systems: Air Brakes, ABS and Beyond Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. Warrendale, PA 0-7680-0330-X 1998
- Radlinski , Richard Braking Performance of Heavy Commercial Vehicles Lecture