This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
E85 Performance, Emissions and Fuel Consumption in Brazilian Flex Fuel Light Duty Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 02, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper assesses the use of E85 fuel in Brazilian flex fuel light duty vehicles. E85 is composed of 85% of anhydrous ethanol and 15% of gasoline in volume base. Advantages and disadvantages of the E85 use are presented in comparison to hydrated ethanol (H100) that is currently available in the Brazilian market.
Additionally, the blend H81 made by 81% of hydrated ethanol and 19% of E22 gasohol (gasoline with 22% of anhydrous ethanol), resulting on a fuel with 15% of gasoline was also investigated. The main difference between E85 and H81 is the water content due to the use of hydrated ethanol. As the E85 is not available in Brazil, this is the correspondent feasible mixture with commercial fuels in the country.
Both fuels were assessed and compared to hydrated ethanol regarding cold start, cold driveability, speed recovery, pollutant emissions, fuel economy and deposit formation with engine and vehicle tests performed in the Petrobras Research Center (CENPES) laboratories.
Citationde Carvalho, R., Villela, A., de Sa, R., and da Silva Mello Neto, E., "E85 Performance, Emissions and Fuel Consumption in Brazilian Flex Fuel Light Duty Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2012-36-0541, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-36-0541.
- SOCIETY OF AUTOMOTIVE ENGINEERS “Vehicle Acceleration Measurement” SAE Recommended Practice J1491 July 2006
- ASSOCIAÇÃO BRASILEIRA DE NORMAS TÉCNICAS - ABNT “Veículos Rodoviários Automotores Leves - Determinação de Hidrocarbonetos, Monóxido de Carbono, Óxidos de Nitrogênio, Dióxido de Carbono e Material Particulado no Gás de Escapamento” ABNT NBR 6601 setembro 2005
- ASSOCIAÇÃO BRASILEIRA DE NORMAS TÉCNICAS “Veículos Rodoviários Automotores Leves - Medição do Consumo de Combustível - Método De Ensaio” ABNT NBR 7024 outubro 2006
- ASSOCIAÇÃO BRASILEIRA DE NORMAS TÉCNICAS “Combustíveis - Medição de Depósitos em Válvulas de Admissão em Motor com Ignição por Centelha” ABNT NBR 16038 abril 2012
- MELLO, E. S. SÁ, R. A. B. CARVALHO, L. O. “Metodologia para Avaliação da Formação de Depósitos de Válvulas de Admissão de Motores do Ciclo Otto” SIMEA 2008