This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Gasoline-Ethanol Combustion Study in a Rapid Compression Machine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 02, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Combustion images are not simple to be obtained in conventional engines. Therefore, some experimental apparatus, such as a rapid compression machine (RCM), are useful to conduct this kind of study. Imaging techniques allow flame front propagation analysis, which is a very important parameter to understand engine performance, using different fuels and also to generate data to improve fuel modeling in engine simulation softwares.
A RCM was adapted to operate in a spark ignition engine mode. It was used to obtain cylinder pressure measurements of gasoline-ethanol combustion synchronized with high-speed photos of flame propagation. Contour plots of the flame front profiles, assumed to be spherical, were used in successive frames to calculate the propagation speeds toward the cylinder walls. So, it was possible to correlate images, pressure curves and flame speeds of gasoline-ethanol blends.
The results obtained with this device will be used in the future to make correlations with engine tests. The objective is to develop a new methodology that can lead to the engine tests, resources and cost reduction in fuel development processes.
|Technical Paper||Effect of Engine and Fuel Variables on Liquid Fuel Transport into the Cylinder in Port-Injected SI Engines|
|Technical Paper||ECU Integrated DSP Based Measurement System for Combustion Analysis|
- Antonio Carlos Scardini Villela - Petroleo Brasileiro S. A.
- Guilherme Bastos Machado - Petroleo Brasileiro S. A.
- Carlos Valois Maciel Braga - Pontif¡cia Universidade Catolica do Rio de Janeiro
- Julio Cesar Cuisano Egusquiza - Pontif¡cia Universidade Catolica do Rio de Janeiro
- Sergio Leal Braga - Pontif¡cia Universidade Catolica do Rio de Janeiro
CitationVillela, A., Machado, G., Braga, C., Egusquiza, J. et al., "Gasoline-Ethanol Combustion Study in a Rapid Compression Machine," SAE Technical Paper 2012-36-0474, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-36-0474.
- Pulbarek, W.W. Engineering Fundamentals of the Internal Combustion Engine Prantice-Hall Upper Saddle river 2003
- Spicher, U. Bäcker, H. Correlation of Flame Propagation and In-Cylinder Pressure in a Spark Ignited Engine International Fuels & Lubricants Meetings & Exposition, SAE 902126 Tulsa 1990
- Villela, A. C. S. Egúsquiza, J. C. C. Braga, S. L. Rapid Compression Machine Tests For Brazilian Otto Cycle Fuels Congresso SAE Brasil 2011 2011-36-0349 São Paulo - SP
- Matekunas, F.A. A Schlieren Study of Combustion in a Rapid Compression Machine Simulating the Spark Ignition Engine 1979
- Broustail, G. Seers, P. Halter, F. Moréac, G. Mounaim-Rousselle, C. “Experimental determination of laminar burning velocity for butanol and ethanol iso-octane blends” Fuel 90 2011 1 6