This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Investigation on Techniques for Accurate Phase or Time Synchronization in Reconfigurable Control Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 2, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Current systems such as: satellites, aircrafts, automobiles, turbines, power controls and traffic controls are becoming increasingly complex and/or highly integrated as prescribed by the SAE-ARP-4754 Standard. Such systems and their control systems use many modes of operation and many forms of redundancy to achieve high levels of performance and high levels of reliability under changing environments and phases of their lifecycle. The environment disturbances, environment variability, plant non-linear dynamics, plant wear, plant faults, or the non-symmetric plant operation may cause de-synchronization in phase or time among: 1) simultaneous units in the same normal mode of operation; 2) successive units in successive normal modes of operation; 3) main and spare units from normal to faulty modes of operation. So, techniques to reduce those causes or their effects are becoming important aspects to consider in the design of such systems. This paper presents an investigation on techniques for accurate phase or time synchronization in reconfigurable control systems. It is based on the review of the literature, discussion and simulation of some techniques used in a reconfigurable aerospace control system which require phase or time synchronization among simultaneous rotor units in the same normal mode of operation due to environment variability. The preliminary results of such investigation shows that the techniques used: 1) can reduce the phase skew between operational modes of control; 2) can contribute to high levels of performance and reliability of reconfigurable control of aerospace, automotive and power systems.
Citationde Oliveira, E. and de Oliveira e Souza, M., "An Investigation on Techniques for Accurate Phase or Time Synchronization in Reconfigurable Control Systems," SAE Technical Paper 2012-36-0398, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-36-0398.
- SAE, “Certification Considerations for Highly-Integrated or Complex Aircraft Systems,” Aerospace Recommended Practice ARP-4754, SAE, Nov. 1996.
- Meyr, H. and Ascheid, G., “Synchronization in Digital Communications: V1-Phase-, Frequency-Locked Loops, and Amplitude Control”, vol. 1, USA: John Wiley & Sons, 1990, ISBN- 471-50193-X (v. 1).
- Hsieh, G. and Hung, J. C., “Phase-Locked Loop Techniques - A Survey,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics: vol. 43, n. 6, December 1996.
- Oklobdzjja, V. G., Stojanovic, V. M., Markovic, D. M. and Nedovic, N. M; Digital System Clocking: High-Performance and Low-Power Aspects. Holboken, New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons, 2003.
- Djamito, W. and Sutopo, B., “Speed Control DC Motor under Varying Load Using Phase-Locked Loop System,” Proceedings of the International Conference on Electrical, Electronics, Communication and Information, Jakarta, March 2001.
- Suri, N.; Hugue, M.M.; and Walter, C.J.; “Synchronization Issues in Real-Time Systems,” Proceedings of the IEEE, vol.82, no.1, pp.41-54, Jan 1994 doi: 10.1109/5.259425.
- Messerschmitt, D.G., “Synchronization in Digital System Design”, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 8, p. 1404, October 1990.
- Oliveira, E.M.Junior; Souza, M.L.O., “A Brief Discussion of Security Aspects of Clock Synchronization in Networked Control Systems”, Proceedings of SIGE, São José dos Campos, Brazil, 2011.
- Tsai, M. C.; Hsieh, M. F.; Yao, W.S., “Synchronous Control of Linear Servo Systems for CNC Machine Tools,” Proceedings of the European Control Conference (ECC2003), Cambridge UK, September 2003. (NSC 90-2212-E-006-100).
- Tsai, M.C.; Yao, W.S; “Design of a Plug-in Type Repetitive Controller for Periodic Inputs”, IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, vol.10, n.4, pp.547-555, Jul 2002, doi: 10.1109/TCST.2002.1014674.
- Lindsey, W. C., “Synchronization Systems in Communication and Control”, Prentice-Hall Inc., Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, 1972, ISBN: 0-13-879957-1.
- Kihara, M.; Ono, S.; Eskelinen, P., “Digital Clocks for Synchronization and Communications”, Boston: Artech House, 2003, ISBN: 1-58053-506-2.
- Moffat, R.; Sen, Paresh C.; Younker, R.; Bayoumi, Mohamed M.;, “Digital Phase-Locked Loop for Induction Motor Speed Control,” IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol.IA-15, n.2, pp.176-182, March 1979, doi: 10.1109/TIA.1979.4503634.
- Eapen, K. and Venkatesan, K.; “Phase-Locked Loop DC Motor Drive with Improved Transient Performance,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics and Control Instrumentation, vol.IECI-28, n.4, pp.347-352, Nov. 198, doi: 10.1109/TIECI.1981.35106.
- Oliveira, E.M.Junior; Souza, M.L.O. “The use of PLL Techniques for Accurate Time or Phase Synchronization in Aerospace and Automotive systems”, Proceedings of SAE Brasil 2011, São Paulo, Brazil, 2011, ISBN:2011-36-0179.
- Wei, Mu; Chen, Zhe;, “Intelligent control on wind farm,” Innovative Smart Grid Technologies Conference Europe (ISGT Europe), 2010 IEEE PES, vol., no., pp.1-6, 11-13 Oct. 2010, doi: 10.1109/ISGTEUROPE.2010.5638907.
- Cidras, J.; Feijoo, A.E.; Carrillo Gonzalez, C.;, “Synchronization of asynchronous wind turbines,” IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol.17, no.4, pp. 1162-1169, Nov 2002, doi: 10.1109/TPWRS.2002.800913.
- Ogata, K.; “Engenharia de Controle Moderno”. 3rd. ed. Rio de Janeiro, RJ: Prentice-Hall do Brasil Ltda., 1997. 813p. ISBN: 85-7054-074-4.
- Machida, H. and Kobayashi, F., “PLL/PID Motor Control System by Using Time-Domain Operation of PWM Signal” Proceedings of SICE Annual Conference, Kagawa, Japan, September 2007.