This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of the Influence of Pre-Loading in the Rating Life Calculation of Tapered Roller Bearings Applied to Lightweight Front-Axle Differentials
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 02, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
For intricate automotive systems that enclose several components, such as gearboxes, an important aspect of the design is defining the correct assembly parameters. A proper assembly can ensure optimized operating conditions and therefore the components can achieve a longer life. In the case of the support bearings applied to front-axle lightweight differentials, the assembly preload is a major aspect for an adequate performance of the system. During the design phase it is imperative to define reference values to this preload, so the application would endure its requirements. However, with the assistance of computer simulations, it is possible to determine an optimum condition of operation, i.e. optimum pre-load, which would increase the system reliability. This paper presents a study on the influence of preload on the rating life of tapered roller bearings applied to light-weight front axle differentials, evaluating how preload affects several key parameters such as rating life and displacement of components, taking into account the flexibility of the surrounding differential housing.
CitationMacedo, G. and Nonato, F., "Analysis of the Influence of Pre-Loading in the Rating Life Calculation of Tapered Roller Bearings Applied to Lightweight Front-Axle Differentials," SAE Technical Paper 2012-36-0230, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-36-0230.
- Schaeffler Group Rolling Bearing Damage - Recognition of damage and bearing inspection, Publ. No. WL 82 102/3 EA 2001
- Marsh, E. R. Yantek, D. S. 1997 Journal of Sound and Vibration 202 1 55 66 Experimental Measurement of Precision Bearing Dynamic Stiffness
- Hagelthorn, G. A. Dearborn, Minch, Hub Nut Corporation, Lafayete, Ind. Controlled Position Axle Nut and Method System to Preload Tapered Roller Bearings United States Patent US005560687A Oct. 1 1996
- Schaeffler http://www.schaeffler.com/content.schaeffler.de/en/products_services/inafagproducts/calculating/Calculation_and_testing.jsp
- SIMULIA's Abaqus FEA http://www.3ds.com/products/simulia/portfolio/abaqus/overview/
- de Morgensztern, A. Nonato, F. “On the Influence of Housing Stiffness on Bearings Life for Manual Automotive Transmissions through Coupled Simulations,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-36-0151 2011 10.4271/2011-36-0151
- Hagiu, G.D. Gafitanu, M.D. “Preload Optimization: a High Efficiency Design Solution for Grinding Machines Main Spindles,” Effects of Mechanical Stiffness and Vibration on Wear, ASTM STP 1247 Bayer, Raymond G. American Society for Testing and Materials Philadelphia 1995